Author Topic: Damaged/misrepresented item from Amazon?  (Read 10582 times)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Damaged/misrepresented item from Amazon?
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:27:15 AM »
I know what I think I am going to do (or rather, try to get the husband to do since he's the account holder) but wanted to ask the general populace as we're kind of flabbergasted at the current situation (the dishonesty part)...

Ordered two holiday items from two different sellers. One was a long time marketplace member with 98% positive reviews. They listed the item as used but "like new" and indicated that the box and the product was slightly scuffed up, but in perfect working order (only cosmetic issues). Received item, well packaged and padded and it was exactly as described. Great experience.

Second seller just registered with Amazon, and I think we were their first sale. We don't usually buy from sellers with no ratings at all, but I argued that everyone has to start somewhere, and the item was not expensive ($16 + 6.50 shipping), so chances are they would be eager to do right by us to earn a good rating. Item was listed as new, but without box. Placed order, received item, and it was poorly packed (box was twice the size needed, with no padding at all, item was loose in torn plastic bag). All parts present, but item was obviously used with scuffs all over, cord loose (not coiled up like a new item would have it), but most importantly, the cord itself was seriously damaged. Item plugs in and runs a motor, and the plug area looked as if it had been cut and chewed up with the wiring showing through. So item was definitely not new, not even "like new" and serious fire hazard if we even attempted to use it as intended.

And if the cord hadn't been damaged so badly, I would have just kept it and rated them down for lying about the "new" part, but this is so seriously messed up, I'm afraid to even plug it in.

So we contacted the seller and said item was not as described, that it was used and damaged, and we want a refund. Seller refunds ONLY the purchase price (not the shipping) and then says we have to pay to ship the damaged item back. We say no, seller needs to refund shipping and provide return shipping as they misrepresented their item as being new and it was seriously damaged and unusable in the condition we received it in. Seller replies back that they are already losing money on this transaction because of the Amazon cut and they were going to be stuck with a damaged unsellable item (how is that OUR fault?), but then stated that the item was fine when they sent it to us and that they would not provide shipping (either refund or to return item).

This is a lie; there is no way the item left his hands in new condition and we contacted them within 4 hours of receiving said package to let them know there was a problem, so there's no way we could have done this sort of damage ourselves (and no, we did not, I didn't even plug it in since it had exposed wiring and I'd rather not have a fire hazard in my house, thanks).

I think seller is an asshat liar and trying to sell items that are old and/or damaged and listing them as new and thinks he'd somehow get away with it. There is no way the damage to the cord could have happened during shipping (even tho he did pack it with no padding or even paper/bags to cushion it).

I think at this point husband needs to escalate to the A to Z guarantee and demand the seller pay us for the shipping if he wants it returned.

Husband is starting to get a sick feeling in his stomach (his words) dealing with this, and just wants to mail the thing back and give the guy a bad review. I say fuck that as I'm not giving him free shipping for a defective/misrepresented product - and it will cost us a minimum of $13 to even mail it back and that plus the $6.50 to receive it means the damned thing cost more to ship than the purchase price... and I noticed that he did a prepaid label for his shipping to us and lied about what the package was - this thing weighs around 4 pounds and is a 12x7x5 inch box, but the label said "express envelope" so I guess the mail carriers didn't catch that he cheated them out of the correct postage?

So if we do escalate it with Amazon, will we get the shipping costs or will it cause more trouble than its worth? I just hate to let this go, but the husband is worried that it's the seller's word against ours and he hates confrontation. (but we do have pictures showing the damage and the original box to show how we received it).

SO any experience with this type of thing?

Indio

• Bristles
Re: Damaged/misrepresented item from Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:08:17 AM »
I don't buy from sellers that don't have at least 50 reviews for this very reason. Since they are re seller they don't care about bad review because they can just shut down and open up again under a different name. Having said that, I have had issues with Amazon recently not delivering a prime item within the two day shipping time frame. They have been very good about helping and refunding my money. Definitely report it asap before you ship it back and ask them to work a resolution.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:08:37 AM »
Definitely report it asap before you ship it back and ask them to work a resolution.

Document everything (all email exchanges). Take pictures. Send it to Amazon Customer Service. They will take care of you.

I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with Amazon Customer Service. They do so. much. business. that unless you're returning a car or something, they're likely to take a loss to keep a valued customer (even if it's a marketplace purchase).

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 06:12:58 AM »
In my experience with Amazon, they will typically accept an oral representation that the transaction was unsatisfactory and grant a full refund based on that. I always ask the representative for something else on top of the refund too, like a small gift card or credit, and they've always given it so far.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 06:26:28 AM »
FWIW, it's very easy to replace an electrical cord.

I mean, the whole Amazon transaction thing would piss me off too, and I'd do my best to make him pay for the return shipping and give you a full refund . . . but if that doesn't work, just fix the item, give a shitty review, and cut your losses.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:27:53 AM »
Escalate to Amazon.  Their customer service is very good and I agree that this guy is just trying to hose you.  Totally unacceptable that he didn't agree to refund your shipping.  FWIW, I run an online business and if an item is damaged then I refund shipping and take it up with the postal service.  It's his duty as a seller to make sure the item gets to you safely.  That whole "the post office damaged it so it isn't my fault" is bullshit.  That's why they offer insurance.  And that's why you pack carefully.

If Amazon doesn't support your case, which I doubt will happen, you can file a chargeback with your credit card company and they will likely refund the shipping.

Don't let him get away with it!

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 07:43:35 AM »
Give them a bad review. They will probably refund you the money in exchange of you taking down or changing your review. Had this happen with an Amazon seller one time.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »
I've been on both sides of dozens of Amazon Marketplace transactions. You're supposed to try and work things out with the seller first, and you seem to have done everything that you could reasonably be expected to do in that regard. Going to Amazon to take advantage of their A to Z guarantee is definitely warranted in this situation. You will likely get your full purchase price and shipping cost refunded, and the seller could have some restrictions placed on their ability to sell going forward. The A to Z guarantee process is a blunt hammer, but it seems like this seller needs to be pounded for misrepresenting things and being unapologetic about it. Better get them off the marketplace before they ruin someone else's shopping experience.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:14 AM »
The seller is foolish and does not understand Amazon metrics. Amazon is not at all seller friendly. And for a seller who is just starting out, it is not worth $6 or $20 or even $50 to suck up a bad review or an A-Z claim.

Report it to Amazon and let Amazon slap them down.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »
I would definitely report them & not let them get away with it. It is not the $ but the principle. Besides they will then cheat other people.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
Just go straight to Amazon. I have never had issues with their customer service.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 01:35:14 PM »
I'd get Amazon involved.

And if you used a credit card, I would get a dispute started with them too.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
I'd get Amazon involved.

And if you used a credit card, I would get a dispute started with them too.

Why? Let Amazon fix it.

Just go straight to Amazon. I have never had issues with their customer service.

This. Amazon is awesome.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »
1. Escalate to Amazon. 99% guarantee this will fix it.

2. Worst case, dispute via cc company. They WILL issue a chargeback over something like this. At least, every card company I've used would.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
It looks like turning it over to Amazon to hash out is the consensus. I spoke to the husband and he said he'd file the A to Z claim when he gets home.

We had to do this early this year with a defective laptop (CD/DVD drive wouldn't read burn disks, sent it back and they were going to hold us up for the $14 return shipping... they backed down and refunded it once we did the A to Z claim - asked us to cancel the claim and they'd let us have it so we did. They said the laptop worked for them (must have been a lose connection or something), so it's not like they were really out much at all - I paid the insurance costs to ship it back and just wanted them to pay the $14 shipping itself).

That's the only time we've ever had to do something like this, but this latest one being openly fraudulent it's made him very upset and angry about how there are now assholes everywhere you look. Sigh.

sunday

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »
I've dealt with Amazon sellers multiple times, and have had several problems. My advice is to call Amazon directly. Their customer reps on the phone are very good and will make the followup steps for you and keep you informed. They will contact the seller if necessary, and let you know the solutions available to you.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
This should be easy to resolve.  Amazon will either refund your money including shipping, or send you a new one.  You don't have to send the thing back if they're not paying for shipping.  Leave a bad review. Then if you're still upset about it next week, search for all sales this seller has open and leave warning reviews on all of them.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »
I strongly recommend using amazon's chat customer service, it's great. Takes five minutes and I've always had my issue totally resolved 100% to my satisfaction even a few times when it was slightly outside of amazons policy.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 09:03:08 PM »
On behalf of everyone else who won't get ripped off by this asshat liar because of your quick-thinking actions, I salute you, Frankies Girl!

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 11:42:20 AM »
Amazon always sides with buyer.  Contact them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lukebuz

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »
The way you describe the item, and dance around saying what it is, makes it sound like a dildo.

Is it?

...runs a motor....12" box....husband is worried....

I can imagine you wouldn't want a used one.  Sheesh!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:05:14 PM by lukebuz »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »
The way you describe the item, and dance around saying what it is, makes it sound like a dildo.

I believe the term is "deep muscle massager" when you're trying to be discreet.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »

Is it?

...runs a motor....12" box....husband is worried....

I can imagine you wouldn't want a used one.  Sheesh!

Do they make those with electrical cords? That sounds dangerous and makes me think of "getting plugged in" with a whole new meaning...

But no, it isn't. ;)

I said "holiday item" in the original post. It's a moving x-mas decoration (think moving reindeer, but not wanting to state exactly what as the seller might search it out) that I'm going to use for a display.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 09:35:59 PM »
not wanting to state exactly what as the seller might search it out.

In the thread about the leaked data from the marital infidelity website, we had people reading the thread who had their data stolen because they had used the site.

In the thread about a husband who doesn't help enough with housework, we had the husband suddenly show up to defend himself.

So why not?  Maybe your bad Amazon seller of broken animatronic holiday display pieces is secretly a mustachian. And has just been lurking in this thread quietly waiting for confirmation that you are the person causing all of their problems.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 11:46:30 PM »
I strongly recommend using amazon's chat customer service, it's great. Takes five minutes and I've always had my issue totally resolved 100% to my satisfaction even a few times when it was slightly outside of amazons policy.

yep this has been my experience, too. i love chat because i will put off a phone call for weeks ... but chatting seems like less work.

good luck! i hope you get a christmas vibrator in working condition very soon! (LOL sorry)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2015, 12:06:16 AM »
Having said that, I have had issues with Amazon recently not delivering a prime item within the two day shipping time frame. They have been very good about helping and refunding my money.

I like it when Prime deliveries are late. Just call Amazon, and for each late delivery they will extend your Prime membership by one month, free. The downside is that after I got a few free months, they are never late anymore.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
Update...

Amazon refunded the shipping costs, and told us that the seller would have to pay if he wanted the damaged item back, and he didn't want to pay, so we could just throw it out. Hooray!

The seller has had two other sales since we started this, one was positive, one was the same as ours - seller misrepresented the item as new and it was messed up on arrival. He has since changed his store page to add in about how he buys returned items from Amazon and resells them and makes almost no profit so don't buy from him if you're expecting everything perfect because he will be out shipping costs and will not be able to afford return costs (why on earth he thinks his profit margin is of concern to anyone else but him I have no idea - delusional thinking that others really care how much money he does/n't make is so self-centered and naive).

Again, dummy could have just stated the items were not new, and had some damage, priced them at deep discounts and then used basic common sense and packed them with a tiny bit of padding to ensure they arrive in the same condition they were sent out (still don't believe the damage to our item occurred in shipping, but it was one of the worst packing jobs I'd seen).

We wouldn't have bought from him knowing the item was damaged since it was electrical, but someone else might have. And lying about the condition hurts no one but him since Amazon does favor the buyer. He's out the shipping costs and the item now.

And he committed fraud on the USPS; he printed out a pre-paid label for a flat rate envelope but put it on a 5 pound box that was MUCH larger than would even fit in a standard mailbox. I couldn't figure out how he shipped it for under $10 (best I could do on return shipping was ~$15!!), and I realized looking at the label what he'd done - so he also lied about the package he was shipping and was lucky the USPS just didn't happen to notice. Wow. So if they had noticed, I would have been responsible for postage due on delivery as well. I think that makes him a complete asshat.

He's already had two A to Z claims after only being in business less than a month. And thinks he's doing nothing wrong. Okay dood.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:27:02 PM by Frankies Girl »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 11:26:35 PM »
Yay, Frankies Girl!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!