Author Topic: cycling injury questions...  (Read 6222 times)

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
cycling injury questions...
« on: July 05, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »

i'm a guy and i'm a doctor so i should know some of these but i don't ... can cycling give me burning on urination? or is that just the clap?
my quads are sore/weak all the time and just can't recover? i'm not wining i just wanna know what to do to make them recover faster. ok i'm wining a little.
my right Achilles is super sore in the mornings when walking (no it's not plantar fasciitis). what causes achilles problems with biking.
aaaand finally, one of my patients gets severe arch pains from intense mountain biking, i told him i'd ask some biking aficionados and get back to him...

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
Re: cycling injury questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 06:02:56 PM »
Go get a bike fit. Riding in the wrong position can cause all kinds of problems with your entire lower body. It'll be the best $200 you ever spent.

If you live in Park City I'll do it for you for free! :)

-W

i'm a guy and i'm a doctor so i should know some of these but i don't ... can cycling give me burning on urination? or is that just the clap?
my quads are sore/weak all the time and just can't recover? i'm not wining i just wanna know what to do to make them recover faster. ok i'm wining a little.
my right Achilles is super sore in the mornings when walking (no it's not plantar fasciitis). what causes achilles problems with biking.
aaaand finally, one of my patients gets severe arch pains from intense mountain biking, i told him i'd ask some biking aficionados and get back to him...

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:33:15 PM »
I've never heard of burning urination as a cycling symptom.  Impotence, sure, but what you have sounds more like the clap.

I find that my recovery time from major exercise is greatly influenced by what I eat.  My body recovers much faster if I dump it full of protein for the two or three days after an epic workout, starting immediately.  It also recovers faster if I continue to use it, like staying home on the sofa all day is the absolute worst way to recover even though my body tells me not to move.

Foot problems like achilles or arches are usually due to a misalignment somewhere, like your pedals are set crooked.  Particularly if you use clipless pedals with cycling shoes that fix your foot position, it's really easy to get them in the wrong spot front to back or side to side, or that don't fit right.  Only an in-person visit with a bike pro is going to fix that.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »
I can really only comment on the muscle recovery. What really helped me was when I switched to biking everyday. Not a TON every day, but something, interspersed between longer rides.

Stretching can really help.

For nutrition, I eat a lot of everything and still lose weight. Lots of fat, decent amounts of protein, and the carbs I do eat are protein dense.

Hope the soreness and urinary problem gets sorted :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
If you are feeling intense muscle soreness from an activity it's because you pushed too hard too fast.  Your body needs to very slowly ramp up over tiny increments to avoid this entirely.  The good news is that if you can stick with the new exercise regularly for a few weeks you will adapt to it and soreness will drastically minimize.

Stretching, sleep, contrast showers (cold/hot), foam rolling/massages, and diet will all help to relieve muscle soreness more quickly.

I've never experienced burning from peeing from cycling.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »

The burning on urination is most likely caused by a saddle that is either tilted to far up at the nose (most people should have their saddles essentially level), or rider too far forward on a saddle with a bulbous nose. Fairly common experience for poor TT fits, but certainly possible on any bike.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »
If you are feeling intense muscle soreness from an activity it's because you pushed too hard too fast.  Your body needs to very slowly ramp up over tiny increments to avoid this entirely.  The good news is that if you can stick with the new exercise regularly for a few weeks you will adapt to it and soreness will drastically minimize.

Stretching, sleep, contrast showers (cold/hot), foam rolling/massages, and diet will all help to relieve muscle soreness more quickly.

I've never experienced burning from peeing from cycling.

thanks for everyone's input. i think i pushed it too fast thinking i'm lance armstrong. so i'll continue riding because even taking a break didn't help much with recovery as SOL predicted.
i never even though about stretching so i'm doing that now as i'm typing.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:31:59 PM »
I'll add in a few tidbits:
- arches: perhaps the shoes/pedals do not offer enough support and the muscles supporting the arch are not up to it. In general, stiffer and more support is better. Also, if they abnormally flat/high arched feet, there may be a poor fit with the shoes regardless of stiffness.

- elevate legs to accelerate recovery. Lay back on the couch and get your legs up on some cushions. Warning: side effects may include napping. 

- Stretch consistently to maintain flexibility... and look for stretching routines that target a range of muscles instead of just touching your toes and calling it good.  Studies have shown that stretching just before you exercise doesn't help that much, and in some cases can increase risk of injury. However, consistent stretching to maintain flexibility is good. Just don't expect to stretch a few seconds just before hopping on the bike and expect it to be a cure-all.

- if you are having bike-related issues and are planning on stacking on the miles, then a bike fit can be a good idea. The quality of bike fits varies pretty widely so you might ask around on a local bike board for recommendations. There is a *HUGE* difference between a quickie fit at a bike shop and an actual fit where they really look at measurements, check body alignment through a pedal stroke, etc, and it is typical for a good bike fit to cost between $100 and $200. It is not uncommon for the fit to conclude with a recommendation for a different length stem or other bike bit. If you go to a PT for the fit, it may be at least partially covered by insurance.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »
I'm a girl, so obviously my bits are shaped differently to yours, but when I don't ride for a couple of months I get burning on urination the first couple of times I get back on the bike. And I've had a proper professional bike fit, and they assure me it's right for me. Goes away after a bit. It's just some inflammation of everything down there, I think.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »
Hi,
Try rolling your calves and achilles slowly over a foam roller in 30 second bursts. If you hit a knot in your soft tissue (as opposed to bone or cartilage), pause and press the knot down into the roller. Do that after hard rides. Do not do do rolling daily or you will tear down tissue without having a chance to recover. Stretch after rolling. This will remediate your symptoms but not treat the cause. Get a good quality bike fitting!!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
can cycling give me burning on urination?

Yes, most definitely.  Adjust the seat until you no longer have that issue.  BTDT, and it was *extremely* painful.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 06:14:42 PM »
If not due to an acute injury, I'd guess your calves are tightening up overnight.  My left calf is the same way, in the morning I feel old and rickety in my left Achilles, but in about 5 minutes I'm back to normal.  Been that way for years.  It seems to be the gastrocnemius that tightens up.  Just simple stair stretches where you stand on a step and drop your heel down a couple times a say can do wonders. Don't be afraid to put your whole body weight on it and really stretch - that whole muscle complex is really strong if you aren't dealing with a tear or strain. 

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
Uh, burning when urinating sounds really bad.  If it truly is bike-related*, you need to adjust how you're sitting.  You should not be putting much weight on your saddle if you're riding a bike with an aggressive posture (the weight should be distributed between your hands and your feet).  If you're riding a less aggressive bike with a more upright posture, the weight should be on your sit bones, not the other soft bits.  You can adjust saddle angle/position, or switch to a different riding style.  Me, I prefer a more upright posture for example.  Some people like recumbents.  I bought a used bike with one of those nose-less saddles.  I hate the thing, but I could see how someone with a certain body type or riding style might like it.

* There's an easy way to figure this out, I'm sure.  Stop biking, see if it still occurs.  Start biking, see if it starts up again. 

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »
Can reading this thread cause physical discomfort?   

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 06:46:33 AM »
Can reading this thread cause physical discomfort?   

If it does, please consult a physician.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
The burning could be the result of chafing. As others have said, tinker with your saddle angle and position. Is there a seam in your shorts in a location that chafes?  A lot of men use powder in their shorts to minimize the sweating and friction.  Some guys use lotion or Vaseline.
(I'm female, but this topic comes up regularly in cycling forums.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!