Author Topic: Cutting the satellite 'cord'...except Golf Channel  (Read 4546 times)

AliInKY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cutting the satellite 'cord'...except Golf Channel
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:58:17 AM »
We're fired up and are making a lot of lifestyle and budgetary changes.  We are totally on board with 'cutting the cord' for any kind of satellite or cable EXCEPT I can find no other way for my husband to get access to the Golf Channel.  He said he'd be willing to give it up but his heart isn't in it.  It would be taking away the one material THING that makes him happy.  He works hard (on night shift, no less) and literally asks for nothing more than a wife that loves him, a fun and simple life...and the Golf Channel. 

With over 50% of our monthly income going toward cash-to-invest and retirement savings accounts, we are comfortable with a decision to keep DirecTV if we have to (for now).  But...anyone know how we could get the Golf Channel through other means and just use NetFlix, etc. for the rest of our needs?

Thanks!

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cutting the satellite 'cord'...except Golf Channel
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
We're fired up and are making a lot of lifestyle and budgetary changes.  We are totally on board with 'cutting the cord' for any kind of satellite or cable EXCEPT I can find no other way for my husband to get access to the Golf Channel.  He said he'd be willing to give it up but his heart isn't in it.  It would be taking away the one material THING that makes him happy.  He works hard (on night shift, no less) and literally asks for nothing more than a wife that loves him, a fun and simple life...and the Golf Channel. 

With over 50% of our monthly income going toward cash-to-invest and retirement savings accounts, we are comfortable with a decision to keep DirecTV if we have to (for now).  But...anyone know how we could get the Golf Channel through other means and just use NetFlix, etc. for the rest of our needs?

Thanks!

http://www.liveonlinetv247.com/golfchannel.php

Be careful where you click, it's really easy to get a virus with these black market feeds.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »

Thanks!

Be careful where you click, it's really easy to get a virus with these black market feeds.

Ouch, that's a nasty website.

OP, can you churn cable providers to get your effective costs cheap? Use new customer sign up deals / rebates / low monthly promotions to keep your costs down. When the promotions run out, hit up there retention department with the hope of scoring another discount, but with the full intention of cancelling and going with the other provider.

ROY2007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »
If he really enjoys The Golf Channel he should keep it. It sounds like you're doing well. Just because MMM doesn't have cable doesn't mean you can't. Spend money on the things that make you happy, and cut out the things that don't.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
I thought I would die without cable TV because of a lack of live sports.  Turns out I haven't really missed it at all.  Ok, so maybe a little bit, but I'm surviving. Take it on a pre-defined trial run and see if he can't find other ways to kill some free time.  At the end of the trial either one of you can declare your need for cable and sign back up. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
I'm commenting to follow this question.  I'm trying to get my husband to cut cable too, but NCAA football is his weakness. 

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »

Thanks!

Ouch, that's a nasty website.

OP, can you churn cable providers to get your effective costs cheap? Use new customer sign up deals / rebates / low monthly promotions to keep your costs down. When the promotions run out, hit up there retention department with the hope of scoring another discount, but with the full intention of cancelling and going with the other provider.

If you're careful those sites work fine for an occasional viewing.    Once a week or so I wake up super early from insomnia and watch Morning Joe on a black market feed (east coast feed and I'm mountain).     It works fine for me and I haven't had a virus for years.

AliInKY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:18:51 PM »
I don't think I'll risk a black market situation - not worth it for me.  We're more in the range of what Roy2007 and Timmy are saying.  I think it's going to play out like this:

Stick with what we have during the primary golf season, then kill that part of the package in the off months.  As I said, it's the one thing he loves.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »
Record an hour of it on your dvr, and just watch it over and over. Once you see them play one hole, it's the same thing over and over 17 more times. Or, buy him "Caddyshack" on dvd. lol

or do this: http://www.pgatour.com/live.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:32:28 PM by MikeBear »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »
You might even be able to cancel altogether in the off-season. And keep checking for options: Mr FP has MLB TV, which costs, I dunno, maybe as much as a couple hundred a year, but is waaaay cheaper than cable. Ya never know when golf might offer a similar option!