Author Topic: Cushion for computer chair  (Read 3083 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Cushion for computer chair
« on: November 26, 2016, 07:27:07 PM »
The seat cushion of my computer chair is worn out.
What's a good cushion and where can I get it?

bugbaby

• Bristles
Re: Cushion for computer chair
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »
Do you mean a separate cushion not the upholstery?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:37:35 AM »
Separate cushion
that could be a chunk of upholstery foam
I'm assuming I will take the current cushion off and put the new one on the base of the chair
May or may not put the current fabric over the new cushion - appearance isn't a concern

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »
Fabric stores usually sell some upholstery foam. I've also seen foam blocks at Home Depot that would likely work. If there is a reupholster business in your area they would also probably be glad to sell you a block of foam. Foam varies in density - so you'll want to check on that (I can't tell you any specifics as to what to ask for in terms of density). You can also try using the existing foam and adding layers of quilt batting for more padding.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
I highly recommend a cushion from a company called Roho. It sits on top of your regular computer seat. It's air filled in little cells, comes with a pump you can operate easily by hand, and has saved my back (and ass).

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 02:50:54 PM »
I highly recommend a cushion from a company called Roho. It sits on top of your regular computer seat. It's air filled in little cells, comes with a pump you can operate easily by hand, and has saved my back (and ass).
That costs more than I paid for the chair!   But I suspect a pricier chair's cushion would have lasted longer...

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »
Well, no, they are not cheap. But my spouse looked around on Amazon and found one for $65. My pain has decreased dramatically, and it was worth every penny. I have one at home and one at work. At work, we got new office chairs, and the damn thing still bothered my back till I got the Roho.

That costs more than I paid for the chair!   But I suspect a pricier chair's cushion would have lasted longer...

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 06:54:48 AM »
I've used an old memory foam mattress to make a number of chair cushions. They are great. A sharp craft knife is good for shaping the foam.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 08:46:15 AM »
I use an old pillow. Works fine and cost me $0.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!