Author Topic: Curses Mr. Money Musctache!  (Read 6826 times)

LAHK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Curses Mr. Money Musctache!
« on: February 15, 2012, 06:11:57 AM »
From a fellow Canadian:

Mr. Money Mustache! 
You already operate my favorite blog site and now you create a time-draining forum!!
Now I am condemned to spend precious minutes away from the family (wife, 2 kids, soon to be three) and the job (I am the 1% by income, past three years)
Thankfully through Mustachean habits (thanks Mom) and good luck I have provided enough for retirement tomorrow (at age 27).   
I still wake up at 6am for work because it can be fun (and even more fun when I secretly browse MMM, knowing that I don't need this job)

You provide an inspiration for all of us.  Keep up the great work! 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Curses Mr. Money Musctache!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »
Hah.  Funny.  :D

I'm sure MMM would say don't let MMM (the website) get in the way of living the MMM lifestyle.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
You're right - this forum is indeed a curse! The very fact that I am sitting here typing this response at 2:26 on a Wednesday afternoon is proof that it is sucking up valuable time.

It has also killed off a good chunk of the main blog's page views so far, while spawning a much larger new viewing habit. Blog views dropped from 13,000 down to perhaps 9,000 per day, while the forum is up to 36,000 page views in two days. And that's with just a tiny percentage of blog readers signing up so far!

Ahh, the internet.

My local weather looks pretty good tomorrow, I'm going to set a goal of having a no computer/no phone day and see what happens.

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »
Is there a way to get back to the regular blog from the forum area?  I can't seem to find the link.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »
Is there a way to get back to the regular blog from the forum area?  I can't seem to find the link.

Not yet, but Mrs.MM said they're gonna add one soon.

Fastest way for now (if you don't have MMMBlog bookmarked) is delete everything after ".com" in the URL bar.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »
Hooray! I just changed the PHP code so that the giant banner above now does just that: it links back to the main MMM site. (Oddly enough, there was no option for that in the configuration settings for this default Simple Machines theme).

Physics

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
Yeah I found that weird on other forums I used to run, MMM.  But you did it the correct way, just go in and edit the php template directly.