Author Topic: Current Salary Question - Job Interview  (Read 5208 times)

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Current Salary Question - Job Interview
« on: October 12, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
During the early stages of interviewing for a new job and the recruiter asks your current salary- do you actually give your current salary? Or do you say what you want to be making? I have a phone interview scheduled for next week and on Glassdoor there is only one salary reported for the job, range is $88k-$96k. I currently make $70k but am looking at a promotion about 6-8 months from now where I would go to $75k plus $10k+ in bonuses. Should I tell them I make $85k? I don't want to leave money on the table. I assume people must fudge the numbers here, but just curious!

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
Re: Current Salary Question - Job Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:20:23 PM »
Are they requiring detailed salary history? Or are they looking for salary expectations? It's reasonable to discuss salary expectations - though ideally they would throw a number out first. If they absolutely require salary history, you should not lie, but it would be fine to mention relevant information like a promotion in the near future.

My favorite site for questions like these is Ask A Manager: http://www.askamanager.org/2009/11/how-to-handle-requests-for-salary.html

Also make sure to consider the complete compensation package, of course (employer retirement contributions, healthcare, etc).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 07:21:40 PM »
If working with a recruiter, ask for the pay range of the position.

I wouldn't lie if I were you. But I'm not you.

If I were you, I'd also read this - http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/ - it's long but super, super, super insightful.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 12:04:26 AM »
If I were you, I'd also read this - http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/ - it's long but super, super, super insightful.
+1 - great article.

OP, don't "fudge".  Just don't.  If (when) it comes out that you were dishonest, that's a first impression you'll regret.

If asked, you could smile (if in person), or softly chuckle (if by phone) and state: "I'd prefer not to give that.  Anyway, my offer wouldn't depend on my current salary, would it?  Getting back to the job responsibilities and how I could contribute...."

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 12:19:16 AM »
"In line with the terms of my employment agreement, my salary is required to be kept confidential".

They will respect your honesty, and it demonstrates that you can keep confidential information confidential.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 12:26:46 AM »
"In line with the terms of my employment agreement, my salary is required to be kept confidential".

They will respect your honesty, and it demonstrates that you can keep confidential information confidential.
If those are in fact the terms, then yes.  If those are not the terms (e.g., I've never had such an agreement), saying this would be "fudging" (aka being dishonest).

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 01:07:32 AM »

If those are in fact the terms, then yes.  If those are not the terms (e.g., I've never had such an agreement), saying this would be "fudging" (aka being dishonest).

Never had a clause in there saying your salary is confidential? wow. It's pretty standard in Australia...

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 01:11:17 AM »
Never had a clause in there saying your salary is confidential? wow. It's pretty standard in Australia...
AFAIK that would be an unusual clause in the US, but that's based on limited data.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 02:10:14 AM »
To my knowledge, you aren't required to give that information, but you might want to because they can investigate to find it out. If I were you, I might explain a disclaimer if it's a lot lower than what the other company pays its employees. For instance, I could say that I make about $1600 per month with my current employer, but even though that's pretty low even for a teacher, ALL of the teachers are paid this amount or lower where I work. Our salary is NOT a reflection of the quality of work we do. It's just what our employer is willing to pay us. People won't pay more than they have to for a product or service, after all. On the other hand, if the salary is significantly lower than what you are currently making, you could explain to the employer why you might be willing to take a pay cut, like you are interested in the extra experience, opportunity for professional growth, better work environment, etc.

Here's an article from Business Insider:
http://www.businessinsider.com/hiring-manager-asks-how-much-money-you-make-2015-11/#7-keep-the-focus-on-your-passion-for-the-job-7
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:12:17 AM by kmb501 »

thecrazydoglady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
I would avoid the question but if you are forced to tell them I wouldn't lie.

The tech company i used to work at required copies of my w2 to prove former salary. Massachusetts just made it illegal to ask for salary details though, so hopefully i won't have to deal with that again.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »

Great article, thanks for that!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 02:02:32 PM »
I would avoid the question but if you are forced to tell them I wouldn't lie.

The tech company i used to work at required copies of my w2 to prove former salary. Massachusetts just made it illegal to ask for salary details though, so hopefully i won't have to deal with that again.

I really hope that spreads to other states.  My current employer refused to give me an offer until I disclosed my prior salary, too.  I wanted out of my last place badly enough that I left anyway.  I'm quite happy here, though...so when I do jump, it'll take a lot more to get me to leave.  I'm kinda looking forward to a proper negotiation process when I'm completely content with where I am, so I have nothing to lose.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 02:17:29 PM »

Great article, thanks for that!

Agree that it's a good article, although I maintain that it's totally fine to give the first number. You just have to be willing to do the work to know what you are worth first, and internalize what that article basically says anyway in that overshooting is unlikely to hurt you, as long as you are not wildly over their hiring range, in which case (presumably), the job is not a good fit anyway.

I mean, I would always ask them to give a range before offering anything myself, but I don't think it's necessary to take a hard stance on the issue. Know what you are worth and why, and you'll have plenty of power in the negotiation. Maybe it's different for engineers. The hiring market for them certainly is ridiculous right now, but I doubt going first is really a problem most of the time, as along as you do it intelligently.

Edit - the author more or less models one example of this approach in his last example of how to deal with a pushy hiring manager.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:26:13 PM by Lagom »

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies. I am glad I asked, I would prefer to be honest but wasn't sure if that was a dumb move. I have the phone interview next week and will now be prepared to navigate the salary! Appreciate the help!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 01:06:26 PM »
When dealing with recruiters I just pass of my total rem inc benefits as my salary. When dealing direct with a company I just tell them what salary I'd require to join them.