Author Topic: Curing Clown-like car habit: Bike trailer deal?  (Read 3150 times)

Shooter_D

• Stubble
Curing Clown-like car habit: Bike trailer deal?
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:56:21 AM »
Hi All,

I'm aiming to ramp up cycling this year and ease off using the car for things like my trip to work and trips to the grocery store, etc. I have yet to get into full gear with the transition from car to bike (call it a case of excusitis) but I am thinking a trailer will really help for grocery runs and even to take to work so I can transport work clothes and such, or pick up things on the way home. I've got no kids yet, but I hope to have 1 (or 2?) in the next few years, so having a trailer may be a good thing over the long term, especially if it converts to a stroller.

On the local used-stuff site, I found a Croozer 2 kid bike trailer/stroller going for $250 (4 yrs old). There's also one going for $300 (2 yrs old). I'd want the cheapest alternative, but have seen MMM refer people to the Croozer brand before, so feel like it might be a good quality choice.

Anyone have an opinion on the price, or any advice that would help me pull the trigger, or hold off on this purchase?

Thanks,

D

thepokercab

• Bristles
Re: Curing Clown-like car habit: Bike trailer deal?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
About three months ago we went ahead and bought a new bike trailer (our first one) for around $350 bucks. The price was definitely on the high side, but the bike dealership is only about a block away from us and we like the business and the people there, so I wasn't upset about paying a premium for it.   

At the time, we thought we were going to have to break down and finally buy a car (we've been car free for almost a year) but opted for the bike trailer instead.  Overall, its been a huge success.  We have two kids, 4 and 1 and we take them everywhere in it.  Pre-school, libraries, parks, etc.  Any errand that we need to do around town we're able to take them along.  We also use it for grocery shopping and other errands which has been a huge help. 

I haven't done any calculations, but i'm pretty sure that after three months the investment has probably already come close to paying it self off just in the gas we probably would have consumer in the last three months (not to mention insurance, registration etc..)

So I would say that if you intend to get good use out of it, and intend to use it to replace activities you would normally do in a car,  i wouldn't worry very much about the difference between $250 or $300.  The ROI should more than cover the cost.   

Shooter_D

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Great job on being car free for a year. Sounds like the trailer has been a great investment, and that it has paid off. I will be keeping tabs on how much I am biking and whether I can stick to it to get to work/do groceries, and probably re-assess in a month or two to see if I can justify it. Seems like a lot to spend in one go since I've been trying to be more mustachian, but like you said, if I get good use out of it it would probably pay itself off in very little time.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:49:19 PM »
We paid full price for a Chariot Cougar 1 3 years ago (well before we converted to Mustachianism).

Having a bike trailer has been amazing.  I use it for daycare and library runs in foul weather, grocery shopping, home depot, and costco runs.  We also have the front wheel attachments which convert it into a big stroller which is awesome for heading to walkable activities like the park or farmers market.

That said, I highly recommend panniers for commuting as the trailer is a hellish boat anchor in even a mild headwind.

I also picked up a Co-Rider (http://www.co-rider.com/Co-Rider_Mark_III/Riding.html) on ebay which our son LOVES!  It's really handy when the whole family goes on an adventure and either don't need the trailer, or plan to use the trailer for something else.

Good luck.  I'm sure you'll love it.

Shooter_D

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
Thanks Badass! A pannier might be an option too, I didn't think of that! Didn't really think of the wind factor either... I appreciate the input! Cheers!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!