Author Topic: CrossFit mustachains, are there any cheaper alternatives?  (Read 1263 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
CrossFit mustachains, are there any cheaper alternatives?
« on: January 05, 2021, 01:55:22 PM »
Any CrossFit mustachians in the house? I would like to know if there are any cheaper alternatives. CrossFit in my HCOL runs upwards of $200 per month. I can afford it but I don't want to. I am primarily a cyclist and I don't think I can justify $200/month towards CrossFit. Are there any alternatives? FWIW, I bought a 15lb and a 35lb kettlebell. I don't know what to do except that I must be extremely careful.

PS: This is not a new year's resolution. It's just a strange coincidence.

Rocky Mtn FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: CrossFit mustachains, are there any cheaper alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
The YMCA here does a "Boot Camp" class that I attend every once in a while.  I would consider it a CrossFit alternative.  It's high-intensity, full body, and repetitious, with kettlebells, body weight lifts, burpees, etc.  I've never seen any of the serious Olympic-style lifting that CrossFit incorporates, but I think it's a similar idea overall.

Like you, I'm primarily engaged in other activities, so it wouldn't be worth to me to pay for this separately even if I really enjoyed it (I don't).  But we belong to the Y anyway for the children's programs, so this class is basically free to me.  It's a good way to get a workout when it's cold outside and I don't feel like running.

So maybe check that out.  Also, if you already own the kettlebells, I bet there are plenty of online subscriptions or even YouTube videos you could find that would provide a decent workout.  If this is mostly to supplement your cycling, that seems like it would be sufficient.  I would guess people pay for CrossFit largely for the community and the equipment.  If those aren't motivators for you, this seems like a great job for the internet.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 02:21:42 PM »
I also like the Y's boot camp and Hiit classes.  I'm not going right now due to pandemic, but afterwards I'll be back. 

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 02:42:20 PM »
The YMCA here does a "Boot Camp" class that I attend every once in a while.  I would consider it a CrossFit alternative.  It's high-intensity, full body, and repetitious, with kettlebells, body weight lifts, burpees, etc.  I've never seen any of the serious Olympic-style lifting that CrossFit incorporates, but I think it's a similar idea overall.

Like you, I'm primarily engaged in other activities, so it wouldn't be worth to me to pay for this separately even if I really enjoyed it (I don't).  But we belong to the Y anyway for the children's programs, so this class is basically free to me.  It's a good way to get a workout when it's cold outside and I don't feel like running.

So maybe check that out.  Also, if you already own the kettlebells, I bet there are plenty of online subscriptions or even YouTube videos you could find that would provide a decent workout.  If this is mostly to supplement your cycling, that seems like it would be sufficient.  I would guess people pay for CrossFit largely for the community and the equipment.  If those aren't motivators for you, this seems like a great job for the internet.

You are correct. I want to supplement my biking with strength training to raise my power output on the bike. I will check YouTube for lessons and try them out for a few months. I will look into joining the Y.

TrMama

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 02:58:31 PM »
I don't do crossfit specifically, but DH is into weightlifting and built us a pretty skookum home gym this summer. If you're willing to put some of the money you'd otherwise spend on monthly fees towards equipment you can get a ton of mileage out of what you'd normally spend on pretty basic bike. If you live somewhere with decent weather, you can even do much of it outside so you don't have to dedicate an inside space.

When plates were in short supply this spring, DH set up his squat rack with resistance bands on the bar instead of plates. Much cheaper. I use a chair instead of the fancy box for split squats. We also don't have kettleballs, but we do have a decent set of dumbells. I just hold one vertically for kettleball exercises. If you want to use kettleballs instead, you can use them instead of dumbells. No need to duplicate. If you own a backpack and something heavy (books? water bottles? rocks?) you don't also need a weight vest. There are a million and one videos online for bodyweight workouts that don't require any equipment at all.

In the Before Times we also belonged to the Y. It was amazing value and had all the same stuff as an expensive crossfit gym.

For exercises to complement biking, look into all forms of squat jumps. You don't even need any equipment but they'll supercharge your legs and glutes.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 06:20:19 PM »
If you don't know how to move kettle bells, I'm guessing it's also likely you don't know the proper movements for various lifts. If this is the case it would be well worth your time and money to frequent a gym that focuses on these things for at least several months while you learn the proper technique. Once you feel confident that move properly you can build out a home gym with the same money you'd pay for several months of gym fees.

If you just YouTube things and end up building an incorrect movement habit it is much harder to reprogram your body after the fact. And then of course there's the increased risk of injury when performing movements wrong.

Gyms like SoldierFit or Bootcamp, or a local gym that is a variant of these probably focus on the same exercises CrossFit does but likely at at cheaper price.

I spent 4 years CrossFitting and while I haven't been able to consistently do those kinds of movements in 7 years now because of injury I know the movements like clockwork and can self diagnose most bad form in myself now. However, even with all that experience, if I ever got back to lifting heavy I'd want a coach to examine me until I was firmly back in practice again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:23:39 PM by Mr. Green »

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 07:00:20 PM »
After I got my Black Belt I tried Cross Fit for a short time. I got hurt and still dealing with my back. When we had the first lockdown (we are still locked down for the second time) I pulled out my kettlebells, I have a few my heavy one is 35#, my jump rope, hubby set up my bike on a cheap trainer that we had and with my yoga mat I am getting into the best shape of my life. In just about a hour a day.

With Youtube, your kettlebells that you have, your body weight you can get the strength you want. It just takes time, effort and consistency. 

I will never go back to a gym. When all of my equipment fits in a small bin that can go with me.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 04:39:52 AM »
I'm not a crossfitter, but I've been lifting for 2 decades now. I'd agree with Mr. Green that a beginner should be very careful if they're just starting out on their own. Some guided instruction could save injury. Poor form in any weightlifting motion will eventually get you hurt. That's especially true for complex movements done in an explosive manner. Studies about injury rates in CrossFit are mixed, but everything that I've read about CrossFit and injuries suggests that injuries are most likely for beginners that either develop poor form or those who go too intense, too soon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6201188/

"Our findings suggest that CrossFit training is relatively safe compared with more traditional training modalities. However, it seems that those within their first year of training as well as those who engage in this training modality less than 3 days per week and/or participate in less than 3 workouts per week are at a greater risk for injuries."

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967119843348

"Results:

A total of 411 participants (122 CrossFit; 289 traditional weightlifting) completed the questionnaire. Those following a CrossFit routine were 1.30 times more likely to be injured (95% CI, 1.075-1.57; P = .0067) and 1.86 times more likely to seek medical attention (95% CI, 1.40-2.48; P < .0001). In a multivariant logistic regression analysis adjusting for sex and age, injury was 2.26 times more likely in the CrossFit group (95% CI, 1.42-3.62; P = .0010). In both groups, shoulder injuries were most common (46.41%), followed by lower back (38.28%) and hip injuries (9.09%).
Conclusion:

Athletes participating in CrossFit are more likely to be injured and to seek medical treatment compared with participants in traditional weightlifting. Despite these findings, the increased likelihood of injury may have less to do with the exercises involved with CrossFit and more related to the intensity with which the exercises are performed, and thus increased awareness is needed to prevent further injuries."

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 06:32:53 AM »
Check out StrongFit