Author Topic: Crossfit- if you do it, how do you justify the price on so many levels?  (Read 2531 times)

kevj1085

• Stubble
This could really go for anything, but especially something like CrossFit where you can so easily replicate it at home. My wife and I love watching the CrossFit games and YouTube videos of it, it kind of motivates us. I don't really need motivation from it because I've always been self driven, but I love the group atmosphere concept. That said, with inflation in our country, unpredictable future, 2 kids age 1 and 4, I just cannot in any circumstances justify 2.5ish k a year, and possibly even more if our kids eventually go.

Before anyone says I justify it as being important to my health, at my house I have squat stands, a bar with 500 lbs of bumper plates, a pull-up bar with rings, a 40 lb weight vest, a glute ham raise machine, power belt, Olympic lifting shoes, fat grip handles, adjustable kettlebell, home made box jump, chalk, music, jump rope, tire to sled drag with, foam roller, and a classic air dyne bike that works great. I train for strength with my lifting and incorporate wods as often as I can by myself. All of this equipment was just under 2k, which is cheaper than 1 year of CrossFit for my wife and I, AND it will last us our whole lives. And yes, we use it all at least 4-5 times a week, as well as go to a half a mile hill weekly and run up and down it. So the claim for it has to be done at a xfit gym for ones health, to me, is false.

I think about how my kids will need a college fund one day, unexpected emergencies like car repairs, or when they're in sports and need money for stuff etc.

And yet, I keep coming back to really wishing I was at a CrossFit gym. I just can't get past though what all else that money could be used for over the course of 20 years.

Sorry long rant, now over lol.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
[EDIT]

Just saw there was another post that has activity.  I'll post this over there

--------------------

I don't do crossfit, but I have friends that do/have, and I don't have anything against it.  Couple things:

1)  Not all of us live somewhere we can have a home gym.

2)  For people getting into fitness, it's more accurately compared to the cost of hiring a personal trainer, because you do get coaching and guidance as part of the plan.  It's not just an open gym.

3)  They also have classes, which would also usually cost more other places, or at least they do for intense, strength-training classes that includes coaching, not just spin/yoga/tai-bo  So for people that need to do things in a group to stay motivated, crossfit starts to be more worth it.  Some people just won't work out at home, even if they buy all the same equipment they use at the gym.

4)  The social aspect is a huge motivator for a lot of people, and part of crossfit is the culture driving the social aspect.  I go to a cheap gym, and people are friendly and know each other a little, but they don't drive each other, everyone keeps to themselves.

If you're happy with what you have, and are happy with your fitness progress, then crossfit wouldn't be worth it for you, imo.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:09:56 AM by RyanAtTanagra »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
We all choose what we value in our budget. I personally don't own a car, eat meat, have TV, or have children. These are intentional decisions based on my values. However, I value community and I value fitness. I used to be an internationally ranked competitive athlete, so quality support and fitness are important to me.

I don't currently go to crossfit but I do spend money on a gym because of all the reasons above - notably I live in a small 3rd story apartment, so lifting heavy weights is a no-go for me and my downstairs neighbors.

For you it doesn't seem like a good investment; everyone chooses their own level of motivation bass on their values. Many folks who spend a lot on fitness and improving health outcomes that could shave years off their life.

Platypuses

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yeah you have no reason to join a XFit box. You have all the equipment, are self motivated and likely do not need much help with the movements. If you are missing one of these then that would be a reason to join CrossFit.

I have a very similar set up in my garage, but still pay a drop in rate of $10 once a week for the camaraderie and to have access to the programming as well as to see where I rank against others for the daily WOD I do at home.

kevj1085

• Stubble
Yeah you have no reason to join a XFit box. You have all the equipment, are self motivated and likely do not need much help with the movements. If you are missing one of these then that would be a reason to join CrossFit.

I have a very similar set up in my garage, but still pay a drop in rate of $10 once a week for the camaraderie and to have access to the programming as well as to see where I rank against others for the daily WOD I do at home.
[/quote

Well, I certainly can't do all of the moves needed to complete all the wods. I can't for the life of me get muscle ups even though I can do over 20 strict pullups and 90 lbs weighted on dips. Can't do double unders, snatches (can do a power snatch but it's muscled), handstand push-ups or handstand walks.

But, again, I ask myself if these things are worth $200)month and can't seem to justify it when I can already squat bench dead press pull-up bike and do power versions of the oly lifts. Seems those other lifts aren't necessary for improved health.

driftwood

• Bristles
Re: Crossfit- if you do it, how do you justify the price on so many levels?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 02:45:18 AM »
Disclaimer:  I'm on a military base where the Crossfit gym is free, all coaches are volunteers, all equipment has been donated (by people who come to CF), and even the space we use has been donated to us.

Because there wasn't monthly dues, I was able to try CF for free.  After about a year and half of it, I took the plunge and paid for the CFL1 cert, so that I could coach.  Now I'm spending the remainder of my time here coaching.  I doubt I'll be in this situation again, so when I move I may see if I can get an arrangement where I can coach instead of paying a monthly membership fee.  You may be able to do this as well.

I have friends in WA who clean the CF gym in exchange for their membership.  A CF gym may be open to having someone lead Yoga sessions after the classes, which could be another way to trade work for a membership.

That all being said, if I found a gym that I really like (which means it has a community of members that I want to be a part of) I would pay.  I'm not a member of any other community (religion, sport, club), so I've decided that CF will be my community wherever I live, if I can find a CF group.  I also have a garage set-up, but being at the gym with other motivated people is so much more enjoyable.  Look at the cost, both in present dollars and opportunity cost, and the benefits, and decide for yourselves if that cost is worth it for you.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »
I couldnt justify even $2.50 per year for crossfit.

I have so many options every day for completely free exercise it's overwhelming:

Surfing, pool lap swimming, running, tennis, beach volleyball, home weight lifting, mountain biking, hiking, ocean swimming, snorkeling, & road cycling.

And each one is really fun, more so because the dont incur any recurring fees. And I bank all that money I am saving by not paying a gym, crossfit or otherwise.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
How do you swim and do tennis and snorkeling for free?