Author Topic: Crockpot Recipes?  (Read 31192 times)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Crockpot Recipes?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2015, 08:16:53 AM »
OP/everyone,
Check out the Mustachian Recipe Index for some other recipes from around the forums like the ones posted here. They are categorized by which part of the meal they are and not by how they're cooked but you should be able to tell from the title if anything is slow-cooker. Also, one of the categories is stews and most everything in it should be crockpot-friendly.

thanks 1967mama and grantmeaname !
No problem, glad to help!

Quetzal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 09:09:45 PM »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
OMG a timer!  Like the timer I use for my fish tank lights?  That is pure genius!

A very popular dish in the Zamboni household is Catalina cranberry chicken.  It's just chicken, salad dressing, canned cranberry sauce, and dry onion soup mix. I use only half of the sauce suggested so that the bottle of Catalina salad dressing, cranberry sauce, and onion soup packet last for two batches.  Just be sure to pour out the onion soup in the bowl to mix evenly before dividing it or the second batch will be two salty. Serve over rice and steamed broccoli from your handy dandy rice cooker/steamer.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 06:39:27 AM »
Google suggests that a crockpot uses in the range of 200-250W, so 8 hours of cooking is about 2 kWh of electricity. That would cost me 13 cents, so it's basically negligible.
I suspect it's even less, as (at least on "low") my crock-pot 'cycles' on and off.  Next time I make somthing in the crock-pot I"ll hook up my Kill-a-watt meter and record exactly how much energy is used.  Of course it'll vary depending on air temp, volume inside the crockpot, brand, etc...

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2015, 11:56:24 PM »
Good for you, I love my slow cooker.

Bolognese sauce

1lb beef or chicken mince (raw)
Garlic, chopped onion, grated carrot, chopped tomato
Can or two of beans
Jar of passata (puréed tomatoes) or canned tomatoes
Chilli powder, Italian herbs, basil- any other spices you use
Water as needed

Chuck it all in, stir to break up the mince, and leave it to cook for 6-8hrs. I love bolognese as you can sneak a lot of veggies in there. I do a massive batch and freeze it in old soup containers - pull one out in the morning and cook up some pasta when you get home- easy dinner!!

Pulled BBQ chicken

1-2 diced chicken breasts (or thigh, or beef if you prefer)
1-2lb potatoes, peeled n cubed
BBQ sauce mix (made using tomato purée,  soy sauce and brown sugar)
Water to cover

Cook for 6-8hrs, break up the chicken using forks (falls apart easy), is quiche the cooked potatoes a bit. Beautiful on fresh rolls w coleslaw, with rice or pasta.

Pumpkin carrot soup

(I make this all the time for work- satisfying and low fat)

Chopped pumpkin and carrot (1lb each), plus a potato if you want
low-sodium stock
chopped onion and garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook down, blend. I add a dollop of low-fat Greek yoghurt before serving to make it creamy!

can you elaborate on your bolognese sauce with quantities and types of beans.  i assume cannili or some other white bean. Do you blend them or leave them chunky?

For bolognese, I use whatever canned beans are on sale, have used black/red/navy/borlotti/butter/kidney beans all with success. I leave them whole, as they get v soft and flavourful, but you could blend them too. Only use about a pound of meat (or less), and bulk it out with vegies - I use 1-2 375mL cans of beans, plus carrots etc.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »
For the poster who asked if you can use your crockpot insert on the stove.....no you cannot.  You will crack it and then you will be sad.  ;)

But a normal stainless steel pot should do the trick just fine.  It's non-reactive.  Just don't use aluminum and you're fine.

As far as a recipe, I've shared this one before, but it's one of the most popular recipes on my blog - it's a SUPER easy beef and chickpea curry that can cook all day.  I like to add peas at the end of the day, reduce the sauce on the stovetop and serve it on naan with a quick yogourt-lime-garlic drizzle.  It's so yummy and dead simple to make.  http://definitelynotmartha.blogspot.ca/2009/01/easiest-best-thing-you-will-ever-make.html

I've saved a number of crockpot recipes on my slow cooking Pinterest board, but my experience is that soups and stews are usually pretty good, as are curries and roasts.  I echo the poster who suggested roasting a whole chicken - I love doing that because I put a frozen chicken in the crockpot, and then shred the meat to use in wraps, salads, burritos, etc.

Here is my board - it's a mix of meat and veggie recipes (I personally find meat holds up better after a full day) and most contain unprocessed ingredients (i.e., very few have cream of this and that junk in them) - https://www.pinterest.com/ottawal/food-slow-cooker-goodness/

My last tip is to prep something the night before, after the kids are in bed (or better yet, get your husband to do it!).  If you can come home and throw some pre-cut veggies and meat in for a stir-fry, and cook some rice, you can have a really easy dinner ready in 15 minutes.  Sheet pan dinners are great too because you can get them ready the night before and then pop in the oven when you get home.  Budget Bytes has a few examples of various bakes/casseroles that are fabulous for this.  You can keep things pretty simple too - you get home, throw a few potatoes and some sort of protein in the oven, microwave some broccoli and then you have a no-work/no-fuss dinner in about 45 minutes.  It takes time, but at least it's time you can spend with your kids and not fussing in the kitchen.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »
For the poster who asked if you can use your crockpot insert on the stove.....no you cannot.  You will crack it and then you will be sad.  ;)
I have a crockpot that allows the insert to be used on the stove and in the oven.

You don't have a typical crockpot then.  The ceramic insert from a normal crockpot cannot be used on the stove, so unless you have one that is specially designed....don't do it!  The ceramic will crack.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
So all Crockpots are slow cookers, but all slow cookers are not Crockpots (SAT prep anyone?).

The brand Crockpot was the original slow cooker. According to their website, you can use their ceramic insert in the oven, but not on the stove top (it can't handle the direct heat). Other brands may be different, depending on what material the insert is made from.

(I get a fail for not doing a basic google search before posting on a forum)

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2015, 09:54:45 AM »
I'm making this for dinner tonight.
SESAME SEED CHICKEN
From www.cdkitchen.com

2 lbs skinless, bones thighs
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Place chicken thighs in slow cooker. Whisk remaining ingredients and pour over.
Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4.

If my package of chicken is a little larger I may add more ketchup, or a bit of barbecue sauce (I keep bottles of BBQ not quite finished in the back of fridge for cooking.) I also may add a drop of lemon juice and olive oil. You just want to make sure the chicken is covered.  This comes out very tender and delish. After I plate dinner I wrap up leftovers and put them in the fridge in the garage. It would be easy to finish in one sitting but we're only 2 people.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »
Posted to follow thread and try out some deliciousness this weekend.

slschierer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Life With The Kellers
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
I have tons of crock pot meals that I keep in the attached file.  What makes these recipes even better is that you can prepare them in advance and store in the freezer until you are ready to cook them in the crock pot!  Just a couple of hours over the weekend spent prepping these, and you can have a month of food!

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »
Thanks, slschierer. That's an awesome spreadsheet!

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
Great recipes! I am a big fan of the crock pot. I've done some good beef and broccoli and a good flavorful chili

Would you be willing to share the beef and broccoli recipe?

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
This one has many ingredients but easy to make. When I made it I skipped celery and it was still very tasty.  I think I have this recipe from budgetbytes.

Rosemary Garlic Beef Stew

•½ lb. (4 medium) carrots
•½ sleeve celery
•1 medium onion
•2 lbs. red potatoes
•2 Tbsp olive oil
•4 cloves garlic, minced
•1½ lbs. beef stew meat
•Salt and pepper
•¼ cup all-purpose flour
•2 cups beef broth
•2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
•1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
•1 Tbsp soy sauce
•½ Tbsp brown sugar
•½ Tbsp dried rosemary
•½ tsp thyme

Instructions
1.Dice the onion and slice the carrots and celery. Wash the potatoes well and cut them into one inch cubes. Place the onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes into a large slow cooker.
2.Place the stew meat in a large bowl and season liberally with salt and pepper. Add the flour and toss the meat until it is coated. Set the floured meat aside.
3.Heat the olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Sauté the garlic in the hot oil for about one minute, or until soft and fragrant. Add the floured meat and all the flour from the bottom of the bowl to the skillet. Let the beef cook without stirring for a few minutes to allow it to brown on one side. Stir and repeat until most or all sides of the beef pieces are browned. Add the browned beef to the slow cooker and stir to combine with the vegetables.
4.Return the skillet to the burner and turn the heat down to low. Add the beef broth, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, rosemary, and thyme to the skillet. Stir to combine the ingredients and dissolve the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Once everything is dissolved off the bottom of the skillet, pour the sauce over the ingredients in the slow cooker. The sauce will not cover the contents of the slow cooker, but it's okay. More moisture will be released as it cooks.
5.Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for four hours. After four hours, remove the lid and stir the stew, breaking the beef into smaller pieces as you stir. Taste the stew and adjust the salt if needed. Serve hot as is, or over a bowl of rice or pasta.

Thanks for this! I plan on having it for dinner tomorrow :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2015, 10:22:31 PM »
I have tons of crock pot meals that I keep in the attached file.  What makes these recipes even better is that you can prepare them in advance and store in the freezer until you are ready to cook them in the crock pot!  Just a couple of hours over the weekend spent prepping these, and you can have a month of food!
Thanks, slschierer. We had the Chicken Cacciatore tonight and it was a hit! Can't wait to try more from your fantastic spreadsheet.

slschierer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Life With The Kellers
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
Thanks, slschierer. We had the Chicken Cacciatore tonight and it was a hit! Can't wait to try more from your fantastic spreadsheet.

No problem!  Happy to help out others!

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »
I just checked out the spread sheet and made a grocery list. So excited!

sser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »
My favorite lately has been a curried veggie and chickpea stew: http://www.thekitchn.com/slowcooker-recipe-curried-vegetable-and-chickpea-stew-recipes-from-the-kitchn-67520

Though with some modifications: used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth; skipped the bell peppers, cauliflower, and tomatoes; added bamboo shoots, carrots, green beans, mushrooms, and a little dark chicken meat. It can be made a little more thick with two cans of coconut milk and little less broth (know it says that everything should be covered, but things seemed to cook fine and settle if you stir it occasionally).

Basically, can add whatever veggies are around to use them up and it will probably still be awesome.

And because I love, love, love butternut squash (and chili): http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-squash-chili
(again, can switch out different veggies, try apples and/or turkey meat, add different types of beans, etc)

Butternut squash + pulled pork = delicious: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/apple-squash-pork-casserole/

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
I have made a few of these... there is something for everyone. 52 recipes. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/26/slow-cooker-recipes_n_1029031.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2015, 11:07:55 PM »

No problem!  Happy to help out others!
Two for two! Tonight was Santa Fe Chicken. They loved it! We are flipping a house right now, so we work on it every day until we run out of daylight. It is so wonderful to come home to the smell of a finished dinner. If the Crock-Pot weren't full of crock-pottery goodness, I'm sure we'd be eating out, because we are exhausted by the end of the day. We are literally saving hundreds of dollars. Many thanks (again), slschierer! Our budget and our waistlines are better for meeting your spreadsheet.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2017, 12:10:11 AM »
Thanks, cwadda!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2017, 08:26:38 AM »
Not much of a by the book recipe follower, but use a crock pot all the time.   Usually makes things the night before in the removable ceramic liner, stick it in the fridge, then put in on low in the AM when we depart for the day.   Some favorites include; ham & beans, venison vegetable stew, beef or chicken vegetable soup, beef or venison chilli, a whole chicken (pull out bones & add noodles later), any type of roast or ham, etc. 

You can't hardly screw up with a crock pot.   Just throw stuff that you like in it, and let it cook.   Things like; chicken stock, beef broth, mushroom soup, celery soup, etc. help out the liquid stock, and bones add flavor too.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
Mexican Black Bean Chicken

6 frozen chicken breasts
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (I use frozen beans -- make my own -- recipe below)
2 cups frozen corn
1 large jar of salsa
chopped cilantro (optional)

Cook all day on low. About 30 minutes before serving (or more, or less) dice in 1 block of cream cheese and stir when melted.
Serve over rice or egg noodles. Its delicious and a real family favourite!

I'm not much of a cook, when you say, "dice in 1 block of cream cheese' is that an 8 oz block?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
We did this last night: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-cacciatore-41685
but skipped the mushrooms and added chickpeas instead (not authentic I know, but we wanted more substance). It came out amazing.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »

6 frozen chicken breasts
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (I use frozen beans -- make my own -- recipe below)
2 cups frozen corn
1 large jar of salsa

Cook all day on low. About 30 minutes before serving (or more, or less) dice in 1 block of cream cheese and stir when melted.

I'm not much of a cook, when you say, "dice in 1 block of cream cheese' is that an 8 oz block?

Yes, sorry it is an 8oz block.  Also, sorry for the delayed response! This recipe can be increased or decreased easily as well, depending on family size and crockpot size!

Artem_F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2022, 05:59:04 PM »
I didn't want to create a new topic for this, so let me just ask here:

we've got a TurboExpress CrockPot in one and only European (French) Costco, which happens to be near the place we live. This magic device is not only a classical Crockpot, but also a pressure cooker, slow cooker, sous-vide machine, etc. The build is solid and it works well, but there's a problem with the recipes. The set does not contain a measuring cup and we've got a book of top 550 Crockpot recipes by Joshua Collins, which uses non-metric measures without specifying them.

The problem is that if one uses a standard US cup = 237ml conversion then the result is off. It's not like my wife just started cooking. She often measures just by eyeballing and she's almost always right. In her opinion, either some other cup is meant in this book, or the book was written for  the previous generation of this machine, or both. For example, the book says "put two cups of water into the bowl so that the water just covers the rack" whereas two 237ml cups cover the rack + 2cm.

The question is - is it a common practice to use the "proprietary" cup sizes in the CrockPot recipes or whenever one discusses a recipe a cup is always a cup = 237 ml?

Thanks for the ideas

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2022, 04:02:14 PM »
Is the book based on the Turbo CP or a standard slow-cooker CP? A quick look online shows the Turbo to be more round than the usual oval shape of ye olde slow-cooker unit so I'd imagine there would be some measurement differences for volume/height situations.

It's been a while since I bought my slow-cooker CP but I don't recall there being anything special for measuring.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2022, 04:21:16 PM »
whenever one discusses a recipe a cup is always a cup = 237 ml?

Woah.  I've gone through my whole life to date thinking that a cup = 250 mL.  You just blew my mind with the information above.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2022, 06:53:50 AM »

Woah.  I've gone through my whole life to date thinking that a cup = 250 mL.  You just blew my mind with the information above.

I think that's a US vs UK difference - https://www.nigella.com/ask/us-cup-to-uk-cup-measures#:~:text=There%20is%20a%20very%20slight,be%20the%20same%20at%2060mls).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2022, 06:57:52 AM »

I think that's a US vs UK difference - https://www.nigella.com/ask/us-cup-to-uk-cup-measures#:~:text=There%20is%20a%20very%20slight,be%20the%20same%20at%2060mls).

Ah, thank you!  Maybe this is where I picked it up.

Artem_F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2022, 04:18:51 PM »
thanks for the answers. Regarding the exact model, it's a 5.6 TurboExpress Crockpot, which is a round one.

Besides 237 and 250 g, we also found in one of the CrockPot threads on another site that the "cup" which is meant in the recipes is equal to 8 ounces = 227 g. This is closer to what my wife thinks it should be based on other volumes and weights in the recipes. This uncertainty in a basic definition is really annoying because 10% might seem to be a small difference, but in some cases it dramatically changes the viscosity of a mixture.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2022, 07:08:02 PM »

Don’t even get started on “how many milliliters is in a pint”

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2022, 07:25:19 AM »

Don’t even get started on “how many milliliters is in a pint”

I don't think I've ever needed to know that.

Drinks come in 355 cans of soft drink, 500mL tall boy beers, or 1L bags of milk.  That's pretty much all the fluids covered right there.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »

6 frozen chicken breasts
2 cups frozen corn
1 large jar of salsa

I do a version of this recipe and add a diced sweet potato. I usually use bone-in thighs (instead of breasts).  At any rate - it's foolproof and a real crowd pleaser.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2023, 08:07:22 AM »
I made this pork butt recipe last week in the crockpot and Mr. Roadrunner and I are still raving over it!

This recipe has a great tutorial you can see step by step instructions. We followed it exactly. We had a 4.6 LB. pork butt. We applied the dry rub and liquid smoke the night before and the next morning we put it into the crockpot on low. It took 7 hours and 40 minutes and was 209F degrees. The directions say when it is done, to wrap it in foil and then into a towel. Ours sat for about two hours and was still very warm. Shredded great, was moist and tasted fantastic!

https://www.101cookingfortwo.com/crock-pot-pulled-pork-butt-right-way/

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2023, 09:09:20 AM »
I followed this blog when she was posting a new recipe daily for a year.  If you go to the index, she has tons of recipes in every category.

https://www.ayearofslowcooking.com