Author Topic: credit card rewards: citi cash back twice... red flag?  (Read 24401 times)

Stache In Training

• Stubble
credit card rewards: citi cash back twice... red flag?
« on: October 05, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
I currently use a credit card that gets 6% cash back on groceries, and another card that gets 1.5% on all purchases; the quicksilver from capital one.  However I see that Citi recently came out with a card that gets 1% back on purchases, and then 1% back on payments.  Which is essentially 2% on all purchases.  So my spidey-sense is tingling.  Why not just say 2% back?  What is the catch?

I assume maybe the terms are that on the payments it includes interest.  So it'll trick people into thinking they're saving money by paying the minimum instead of in full, because that 1% on payments will be larger after interest...?  Obviously I pay in full each time, and won't fall for that trick.

I just feel like there's a catch that I'm not seeing... unless it is in fact what I said above.  Anyone know what it is?  If I pay in full each time, will it in fact be 2% back, just like the Quicksilver card works?

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
Re: credit card rewards: citi cash back twice... red flag?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
Facepunch: if you don't have the time/inclination to read the fine print and figure this out, you should not be messing with rewards credit cards. Seriously, that information is in the disclosures somewhere and all you need to do is read them. Do it.

-W

Stache In Training

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
waltworks, I did read the fine print.  On the purchases, it says nothing about interest or just the principal; it just says "payments you make."  (Which is why I  asked my questions about the trick of making people not want to pay the balance in full.)  It also says the balance will be tracked and shown in the "Purchase Tracker."  Since I don't have the card, or any citi card, I don't know how exactly the "Purchase Tracker" works, so I was hoping someone could shed some light on how this card actually works in practice. And before you ask, the purchase tracker is not explained in the fine print either.

Hence why I said my spidey-senses are tingling... or should I say, mustachian-senses.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Pay in full, get 2%. Probably they are doing it this way for marketing. To differentiate themselves.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
I had the same "what's the catch" feeling, but didn't bother reading the fine print because I already have a 2% card. But it's good to know we have options.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »
Pay in full, get 2%. Probably they are doing it this way for marketing. To differentiate themselves.

This is it.  I'm currently getting 1% back on my mortgage payments.  Think about that for a sec.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
I had the same "what's the catch" feeling, but didn't bother reading the fine print because I already have a 2% card. But it's good to know we have options.

You already have a 2% card?

As far as I am aware this is the ONLY card that gives you 2% cash (not miles) back on everything.

This card seems to me to be a great reason to retire the Discover/Chase Freedom (the rotating categories are never relevant to me). I am looking for the catch, but don't see it. Only thing preventing me from signing up for this card today is I'm wondering if a sign-up bonus will be offered.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:57 PM »
Really? Does anyone get that 1% on purchases plus 1% on payments is not equal to 2%? They are doing it that way to lure you in, not to actually put more money in your pocket. Your spidey sense is not broken, but your math may be fractured.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »

As far as I am aware this is the ONLY card that gives you 2% cash (not miles) back on everything.
My Fidelity Amex card and Priceline Visa both disagree.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »

• Fidelity Amex: it's an Amex: i.e. "not accepted here". Citi Double Cash appears to be a Mastercard.
  • Priceline Visa 2%: no longer offered (did some research on it).

richcatpoorcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 03:50:57 AM »
Really? Does anyone get that 1% on purchases plus 1% on payments is not equal to 2%? They are doing it that way to lure you in, not to actually put more money in your pocket. Your spidey sense is not broken, but your math may be fractured.

I am confused about how this does not equal 2%. If I buy a $100 gift card and get 1%, then immediately pay off this purchase of $100 at 1% the total points would equal $2. Same as if I bought a $100 gift card and got 2% for the purchase up front. Is your point that the other 1% is only contingent upon payment of the purchase? I view this as a potentially helpful incentive.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 05:16:36 AM »

• Fidelity Amex: it's an Amex: i.e. "not accepted here". Citi Double Cash appears to be a Mastercard.
So far, only state government-run websites (vehicle registration, camping reservations) have refused to take my AMEX. I'm sure there are lots of places that don't take it, but we spend so little that it pretty much never happens. In those rare instances, I just use my second best cashback card at 1.5%.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 07:49:27 AM »

Ironically, my main reasoning for getting the Amex was that Costco doesn't take Visa/Mastercard/Discover.  Non-Amex is far less convenient to me than Amex.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »

I am confused about how this does not equal 2%. If I buy a $100 gift card and get 1%, then immediately pay off this purchase of $100 at 1% the total points would equal $2. Same as if I bought a $100 gift card and got 2% for the purchase up front. Is your point that the other 1% is only contingent upon payment of the purchase? I view this as a potentially helpful incentive.

The way I see this (without reading any find prints) is that to you, the 1% back on payment is an incentive and you will get your 2% back regardless. 

But those that only pay minimum payment, will get much less than 1% back.  Charge $100, get 1% back, $1.  Net $99.  Pay minimum payment $10, get 1% back, $0.1.  Net for the credit card is $1.1 or 1.1% back, not 2%. 

It's a marketing gimmick that is heavily beneficial to the CC, not the consumer. 

I may be wrong here, but this is my basic understanding.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »

The way I see this (without reading any find prints) is that to you, the 1% back on payment is an incentive and you will get your 2% back regardless. 

But those that only pay minimum payment, will get much less than 1% back.  Charge $100, get 1% back, $1.  Net $99.  Pay minimum payment $10, get 1% back, $0.1.  Net for the credit card is $1.1 or 1.1% back, not 2%. 

It's a marketing gimmick that is heavily beneficial to the CC, not the consumer. 

I expect the average consumer pays 1.X times their purchases to the CC over the account life, where X>0.  Thus, 1% back on payments would be a net benefit to the average consumer.  Ie most people pay some interest, and don't lose the cc money (in which case they'd go out of business)

But yeah , you wouldn't get the extra 1% back immediately if you were counting on that to say pay your rent

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »

Yup, I think they're trying to float the rewards (and hopefully collect interest from people). I have to wonder if they're making money off of people who pay in full every month, though.

Ironically, my main reasoning for getting the Amex was that Costco doesn't take Visa/Mastercard/Discover.  Non-Amex is far less convenient to me than Amex.

Yeah, and I'm actually considering starting to go to Costco to shop. Well, thanks for the note.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »

My trick for using my credit card of choice at Costco is buying Costco gift cards on their website (which, unlike the brick-and-mortar locations, accepts all major credit cards) and then using the gift cards as my form of payment at the retail location.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:31:27 AM »

My trick for using my credit card of choice at Costco is buying Costco gift cards on their website (which, unlike the brick-and-mortar locations, accepts all major credit cards) and then using the gift cards as my form of payment at the retail location.

I was about to shout "Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!" until some other part of my brain said "But what about the rebates?"

I'd love to try this because at the moment I despise AMEX. I scheduled an electronic payment that did not go through (while I was on vacation, natch), so I got a nastygram raising my (theoretical) interest rate to 29+%, threatening my credit, blah, blah, blah. I think it's rather hilarious in an irritating sort of way, because I'm FI, don't give a shit about my credit score, and absent snafus, always pay in full.  I've also had an AMEX for over thirty years, which apparently matters not a whit. I quickly made the payment and have been using the card as little as possible ever since. If there's a workaround, I'm all ears. I'm guessing that gift cards don't earn rebates, but please, please tell me there's a way to have my cake and eat it too.

What pisses me off about the whole debacle is this: What about the poor schlub who misses a payment because he/she is struggling to get by? One missed payment and you're forking out almost 30%? What a bunch of crooks.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 08:11:07 AM »
I was about to shout "Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!" until some other part of my brain said "But what about the rebates?"

Do you mean the discounts for items that are in the Costco coupon book?  If so, you definitely still get them.  (Why wouldn't you?  They aren't contingent on paying with your Amex -- you get them if you pay with cash too.)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »

But those that only pay minimum payment, will get much less than 1% back.  Charge $100, get 1% back, $1.  Net $99.  Pay minimum payment $10, get 1% back, $0.1.  Net for the credit card is $1.1 or 1.1% back, not 2%

Wait, aren't they going to have to pay the remaining balance eventually?  Isn't your example more like 1.1% back, and the other 0.9% back when you finally pay off that portion of your bill?

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »

But those that only pay minimum payment, will get much less than 1% back.  Charge $100, get 1% back, $1.  Net $99.  Pay minimum payment $10, get 1% back, $0.1.  Net for the credit card is $1.1 or 1.1% back, not 2%

Wait, aren't they going to have to pay the remaining balance eventually?  Isn't your example more like 1.1% back, and the other 0.9% back when you finally pay off that portion of your bill?

I don't think so.  People that habitually cary CC balances, never pay off their bills.  They just keep charging, thus only getting the 1% back on purchases and almost nothing on their minimum payments. 

Unfortunately, I am speaking from past personal experience here. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 09:18:24 AM »

I don't think so.  People that habitually cary CC balances, never pay off their bills.  They just keep charging, thus only getting the 1% back on purchases and almost nothing on their minimum payments. 

As I mentioned above, that ends up being way more money back in the long run.  If you pay $2000 total for your $1000 device, you've gotten $30 back instead of $20 (for 2% back on purchases)

Good deal for the irresponsible consumer

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »
Why not just say 2% back?

Because it's not the same as 2% cashback.

1% back on purchases is 1% cashback. 1% cashback implies you get it immediately.

1% back on payments is something you don't get back immediately. You wait until you pay. At which point, you get 1% back on whatever you pay (which may include interest) - not what you purchased. So if you make the minimum payment, you only get 1% back on the payment. If you default, you only ever got 1% back on what you paid.

This is only a 1+1=2 equation if you pay your bill off in full every month.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »
Right now I have to wait til the end of the statement period for my purchase points to be available. I assume with this system that my points for payment aren't available for yet another cycle beyond that. So I'm assuming that's the advantage to the company and why they're not just doing a straight 2%.

mymoneyblog.com had a post on this today, including info on those wanting to convert other Citi cards.
http://www.mymoneyblog.com/citi-double-cash-card-review.html

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 09:35:52 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I'll have to look into converting our Citi card.  It is our oldest card, didn't want to close it, but use other cashback ones whenever possible instead.

cbender49

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 11:04:56 AM »

The Fidelity card is also offered as a fee-free Visa, which may be better to some. Just do a search for Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa and it should be near the top of the results. The biggest draw is the earning structure is a little different than the Amex. Rather than 2% on all purchases, it earns cashback at rate of 1.5% for the first $15K spent annually, then 2%. Might be good for someone who consistently runs in the Amex not accepted issue, but unless you're manufacturing a good bit of spend per year, the Amex is the better choice.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »
Costco is ending its relationship with Amex... in Canada this year. Presumably in the US next year, assuming no last ditch reconciliation. Here, Mastercard is the replacement.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 06:39:40 PM »
Costco is ending its relationship with Amex... in Canada this year. Presumably in the US next year, assuming no last ditch reconciliation. Here, Mastercard is the replacement.

Goddamit, chase has just completed systematically changing all my MasterCards into visas!!

I mean I do have one Citibank MC still, but the rewards kinda suck.  Maybe I can change rewards programs. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 10:43:35 PM »
Goddamit, chase has just completed systematically changing all my MasterCards into visas!!
Are you sure it's not the other way around? My Chase affinity Visa card just became a MC. Dammit, if I'd applied for a new MC, I could have gotten a lot more points.

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »
I had been going through my many credit cards and was in the process of canceling those we no longer use (opened to get the sign on bonus and such).  Anyways, when the citi double cash back came about, I wanted to add it to my everyday cards to use for the few times the Fidelity Amex wasn't accepted.  I was able to convert my Citi Diamond preferred.  I will be getting a new number but otherwise it was easy. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »

But you still have to pay it off eventually, and thus get your money back (or even more if you get 1% back on accumulated interest as dragoncar pointed out).  (or file bankruptcy or settle with the CC company - neither of which should be viable options to members of this forum)

Why not just get the 1% back and not pay your bill at all? Then you are essentially getting infinity cash back.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Are you sure it's not the other way around? My Chase affinity Visa card just became a MC. Dammit, if I'd applied for a new MC, I could have gotten a lot more points.

yep

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:06 AM »

This is it.  I'm currently getting 1% back on my mortgage payments.  Think about that for a sec.

How are you getting cash back on the mortgage exactly?  I would like to do that too.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »

How are you getting cash back on the mortgage exactly?  I would like to do that too.

Only one I've heard of:

https://www.chase.com/mortgage/mortgage-advantage/mortgage-cash-back

Also, I suppose they could easily cancel the program at any time
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:59:55 AM by dragoncar »

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »
I use American Express Serve to pay a big chunk of my mortgage (the limits are too low to use it to pay the whole thing).  Serve is a prepaid debit card, which I fund using a credit card.  So it's equivalent to using the credit card to pay the mortgage (using the Serve account as a conduit).  Google around and you will find lots of resources with all the details.