Author Topic: credit card on mortgage  (Read 5245 times)

TheGibberingPotato

• Stubble
credit card on mortgage
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:43:46 AM »
Has anyone had any luck on using credit cards to pay their mortgage, with the aim of taking advantage of sign up offers?

I've seen that there are some companies that make this possible such as chargesmart; however my mortgage is with wells fargo and i'm not sure that they accept that form of payment.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
Re: credit card on mortgage
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 10:44:59 AM »
My Wells Fargo mortgage only accepts bank account transfers for online payments -- no credit cards or debit cards :(

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
The only ones I saw were through a secondary service which charged something like 1%. They made a direct transfer to your mortgage for you if I recall though.

Have you looked into Amazon payments? I think you can do 1k per month for free.

TheGibberingPotato

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
The only ones I saw were through a secondary service which charged something like 1%. They made a direct transfer to your mortgage for you if I recall though.

There is a company called williampaid that charges 2.95%; this is high but not compared to the amount you make with typical credit card signup rewards.  I am not sure how exactly they make the payment though.... not sure if compatible with wells fargo.

Amazon payments... are those still available?

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »

Unfortunately, Amazon payments shut down in October. This is no longer an option. You can look into target redcard if they have that in your area. Some cards still allow you to load amex serve as well

TheGibberingPotato

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »

Unfortunately, Amazon payments shut down in October. This is no longer an option. You can look into target redcard if they have that in your area. Some cards still allow you to load amex serve as well

Chargesmart seems to be a possibility... i'd think mustachians would be all over this.  Maybe there is a catch I'm missing?

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:09:51 PM »
Ouch!  I just tested my 2K remaining balance on my student loan, and Chargesmart wanted $45-49 to be my middle man.

I would get $40 back in rewards on my Citi 2% card for this amount so at least with my particular anecdote, it doesn't work out.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »
i was looking into this as well recently, and we seem to have come at the end of a number of "gravy train" options ;), since most are getting shutdown.

vanilla reload and bluebird seemed to be the ticket, but that route is getting cut back on as well. YMMV

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »
Sign up for the travel hacking in share your badassity.  they will show you how to manufacture spending.  in the states this can be done with the Target REDcard if you have a target near by and its available in your state.  Probably the easiest way to manufacture 5k worth of spending a month at the cost of 2 trips to target and nothing else.  otherwise you can basically set it and forget it and manufacture 1k in spending a month with Serve.  or if you have a soft serve capable phone 1500 a month

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »

Ah, shows how long i've been out of the churning game. :) These kids move too fast for me!