Author Topic: Credit Card Limit Transfer?  (Read 2175 times)

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Credit Card Limit Transfer?
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »
Is it possible to transfer your credit limit from a card with one bank (wells fargo) to another visa credit card with better rewards, either chase freedom or one through the credit union? I would hate to cancel the card, because it is by far my oldest. I only own one other brand new one, but want to get a rewards card for everyday stuff.

There is no balance on the card, but $13,500 in available credit. I just hate having such a high limit on a card I've paid off and have no need to use again. If I can't cancel, would it help to ask for a big reduction, so I have some room to get a higher limit on a future card?

Ultimately, I want to close my wells fargo checking and savings and move to credit union/capital one 360. Question two is: would closing those accounts still allow me to keep that credit card open, since it's my main ally on my credit score and has no annual fee?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Credit Card Limit Transfer?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:47:45 PM »
Just request a limit increase on your other card. You can't transfer it from one bank to another, and there's nothing wrong with having two cards open.

I'm not sure how banks determine what limits to provide, but if I added all of my cards up it likely equals / comes close to my annual income. Banks are...generous.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Credit Card Limit Transfer?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:55 AM »
If it's the same bank (e.g. two different chase cards) yes, otherwise no.

Leave it open, it'll help your credit score.  No need to reduce it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.