Author Topic: Credit card dispute, rental car charges  (Read 10179 times)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
Credit card dispute, rental car charges
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:24:13 PM »
So I honestly thought my Visa would come to bat for me when I disputed charges on a rental car this summer.

Basically we got a great deal online through Kayak, booked a car with Avis in Europe.

Picked up the car and they took a second look at the booked rate, upped it a bit for the second driver  but basically honored it at the time.

We signed a foreign language receipt & had an English copy of the rate we agreed to at this time.

We dropped off the car full with no damage.

Next Visa bill the rental car charges are almost twice what we have signed receipts for. (This  takes into account foreign currency transfers etc.) 

Multiple back & forths with the rental car & our SIGNED original reciept & new UNSIGNED receipts with a different day rate emerge.

Neither the car company or our VISA will respect the rate we signed for.

Any more tips?

I really thought the Cc would stand up for us as the only SIGNED receipts are for the rate we agreed to.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
Re: Credit card dispute, rental car charges
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »
I'm just bumping this in the hopes someone has a story good or bad about dealing w a credit card company.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
Mixed luck.  I've only had one overcharge by a vendor and I ended up just eating it.  Never could get it corrected.

However, all the fraudulent charges I've had happen over the years were corrected instantly.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »
Not a direct answer, but a related experience:

I booked  a motel at a very low rate for maybe 4 nights (lets say, $80 per night).

A blizzard came.  The airport and the roads to it shut down.  I approached the clerk to stay another night at the same rate.  She said "sure, no problem...".  I get the CC bill and the rate is like triple.

I kept going back and forth back and forth and back and forth between the hotel and the CC.  Eventually, the hotel chain caved and gave me my money back.

Keep hammering away (especially with any documentation).  Eventually the rental car company might cave.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:24:26 AM »
I'm really surprised that Visa won't dispute the charge given your receipts.
What is their reasoning?

Every time I have wanted to dispute with my credit cards I have never hard an issue or a problem getting backed.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
Given the signed receipt, I'd cancel that card for sure. I've never had a credit card not be firmly on my side.

Keep calling and disputing.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »
Given the signed receipt, I'd cancel that card for sure. I've never had a credit card not be firmly on my side.

Keep calling and disputing.
I have to agree with this.  Keep fighting with the rental company and go up the chain with the credit card.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »
I would post on Twitter.

I was given the runaround by Chase after they neglected to tell me that my flight was rescheduled to the previous day.  Half an hour on the phone got me nowhere, so I complained on Twitter...long story short, I am now $445 ahead.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
I would post on Twitter.

I was given the runaround by Chase after they neglected to tell me that my flight was rescheduled to the previous day.  Half an hour on the phone got me nowhere, so I complained on Twitter...long story short, I am now $445 ahead.

Sadly, this is probably true.

I had a similar experience with AT&T. Our bill was so mucked up that nobody could make any sense of it. Their phone reps were a nightmare, and their Twitter reps fixed everything and zeroed the account in 5 minutes.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 01:26:32 AM »
Thanks. I'll keep trying.

The main problem is that we never call & talk to the same person.

Once we thought we were getting somewhere with Avis international.

The guy said it looks like the "quoted rate" was not honored.

But our last call with Visa explained some horrible math compleatly mixing up the Kayak total rate as a single day rate & they said we got a much better deal than Visa calculated. We explained it was wrong but never got to directly speak with the person who did the math. Just 2 days ago Visa basically sent a letter saying case closed. 

We have one English reciept from Avis. This is the one we got at the start of the rental & had in the car our entire trip. But as far as we can tell all the documents provided by the local Avis to Avis international are in a foreign language.  We have copies of those, we can read them, one is signed & exactly matches the numbers on our English version. The other is fabricated.

VISA at first said deal with Avis, so we tried, then we delt with Visa & they said don't talk to Avis anymore. Now it's been 2 more months & Visa said we need to deal with Avis directly.

Unless we have a "credit voucher" our "card holders agreement" says they don't deal with "these kinds of disputes".  WTF, I have a signed reciept at xx rate. What more does it take?

Honestly, when I first saw the bill I figured they charged us for gas or damages. With a signed copy of the rate we wanted I figured it would be easy. 

What a clusterF<{k

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. At this point it's not even about the money.

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 07:23:05 AM »
Are you dealing with Visa or your bank or the actual card issuer?

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »
Are you dealing with Visa or your bank or the actual card issuer?

CIBC Visa. The contact number on my statement.

Is there a better contact?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
If Visa won't fix your problem and you're out of options, consider submitting
a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau:

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »

OP is Canadian.  Perhaps the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada could help?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »

OP is Canadian.  Perhaps the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada could help?

Oops.  Good catch.

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 11:17:46 PM »
You're not actually dealing with Visa but your bank in this case. Agree with advice about going to the whatever consumer complaints department is available in your country. Provide them with all the evidence and show that you have tried to resolve it with the bank without success.
It Australia it would cost the bank even more money so often the threat is enough.

On a side note this is why I try to put expenses on Amex whereever possible, in addition to the points. Amex is consistently pretty good whilst each Bank will vary.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 02:43:25 PM »
This is crazy. We had given up hope.

But without any more communication since I posted this I noticed a credit on my Visa from AVIS in Europe for what I think is the amount owing.

It is posted oddly. In between my Feb 6 and Feb 7 purchases there is a credit dated July 9 2016.

Ill check the amounts later today.  It's around $400!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!