Author Topic: Credit Card Churning for Bonuses - Australia  (Read 24225 times)

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
Credit Card Churning for Bonuses - Australia
« on: October 14, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
Credit Card Churning for Bonuses - Australia

Australians,

Can anyone please share their experiences with credit card churning in australia?

Some ideas to comment on:

1. Finding good offers
1. Keeping track of requirements/fees/eligibility
2. Monitoring your credit score (yes it exists in Australia!)
3. manufactured spending?
4. travel or non-travel rewards?

-------------

For me personally, for my regular spending, I have the Coles platinum no-annual-fee, $2 spent = 1 flybuys point.  2000 points = $10 cashback at coles checkouts.  This gives me $30yr.  Additionally, this card had a $50 signup bonus, in the form of a coles voucher. 

This is a lot less appealing than the USA versions :(.  But it is the best I could find. 

I'm keen to know if churning is worthwhile, but all the info is from USA.

Do any australians churn credit cards?

end of message

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Credit Card Churning for Bonuses - Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »

+1.

After steering clear from CCs for a number of years (due some cyclical bad debt when I was younger).  This forum has since convinced me that they are not the evil entities I've been believing them to be, when used for good, instead of evil.

I'm very interested in this topic, and kind of jealous at the money they throw around in the US to sign up for them!

Andy

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
I don't bother. Sounds like a lot of work to get $30 for the year.

I have a couple of credit cards that earn me frequent flyer points with Qantas and Virgin and I just stick with that for simplicity.

Pants

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
I've started looking at this recently so the MMM article was timely... however, I am finding far less perks available here. Mostly the perks are travel points with either Velocity (Virgin) or Qantas/Jetstar.

At the moment I am using an ING Visa Direct Debit card which gives me 2% cash back on all paywave purchases under $100. Better than a kick in the head, but not exactly brilliant. On the plus side, I pay no bank fees whatsoever and all ATM withdrawal fees get refunded.

I have been thinking of getting a rewards card and so have looked at the infochoice and ratecity websites. The HSBC Platinum card seems to be good value with 20,000 bonus sign up Qantas points. But given that I don't do much travel, I haven't been motivated to look into this further. American Express has the best rewards but also the highest fees and some places don't take them.

The Australian financial system is more/better regulated that the US especially where consumer protection is concerned so there are fewer "perks" allowed to suck the vulnerable into credit.

aussiesaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:40:14 AM »
We take advantage of the 0% balance transfers for as much as we can get and keep the money on our mortgage. We pay it all back when the promo dinishes and when we go to cancel the card they normally offer us another balance transfer. Even with annual fees we are ahead on this. We have about 40000 of interest free money sitting on our mortgage at the moment from different banks and cards.

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
wow, $40k on a 5% morgage - that is $2000 per year tax free.

aussiesaver, can you please go in to more detail on this? 

how did you start it up, what cards, what fees, etc

nonsequitur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »
I've been wondering about this (churn in Australia) too.  There's currently an ANZ offer for 50,000 qantas points.  The annual fee is $95.  I'm wondering if it's a good deal.   50,000 points doesn't quite get an overseas roundtrip, as far as I can tell. 

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:47:04 AM »
Recently jumped on a Virgin Money card deal with a waived annual fee for the first year, 1 point for 1 dollar spent up to $1500 each money, 1/2 point thereafter - plus bonus points for signing up. I've got a business so all my expenses go on the card now, and it should get me about a flight to america every year and a half or so.

Tip 1: Be noncommital when first signing up to 'bonus point' cards. After you've been accepted but before activating the card, call them and come up with some reason why you're thinking of cancelling it. For me I was rethinking it because of the annual fee (even though the first year was waived). Earned myself 10,000 points and I can call them in 12 months to 'discuss' the annual fee (I'll be taking a hardline "no fee or I cancel" position).
Tip 2: Every time the card fails to work (merchant errors or whatever) call up and ask about it. They'll usually sling you 500 points if you had to end up using cash.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:06:03 AM »
We take advantage of the 0% balance transfers for as much as we can get and keep the money on our mortgage. We pay it all back when the promo dinishes and when we go to cancel the card they normally offer us another balance transfer. Even with annual fees we are ahead on this. We have about 40000 of interest free money sitting on our mortgage at the moment from different banks and cards.

I would like to know how you balance transfer a mortgage repayment. Given that (a) you cannot pay a mortgage account from a credit card and (b) all cash advances form a credit card incur interest from day 1.

Do you take a cash advance and then immediately balance transfer to another card with another provider? That's the only way around this I can see.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:12:13 AM »
At the moment I am using an ING Visa Direct Debit card which gives me 2% cash back on all paywave purchases under $100. Better than a kick in the head, but not exactly brilliant. On the plus side, I pay no bank fees whatsoever and all ATM withdrawal fees get refunded.

I also have an ING Direct card, but since the 5% cashback expired, I moved to ME Bank: http://mebank.com.au/lps/eta/home/ . 5% cashback, woohoo!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 02:14:47 AM »
I am in the fortunate position of having a free Diamond Amex & Mastercard courtesy of the big bad bank that employs me (hope they're not watching my posts).

3 points for every $1 spent on the Amex and 1.25 points for every $1 on the Mastercard.

It's usually about 4,800 points for a $25 gift card or 18,200 points for a $100 gift card.

Unfortunately the fine print states that points are not accrued for bill payments like water rates :( Council charges extra for credit card so I don't go there and I also can't pay my strata fees by CC either.

You also do not get points if you use it to transfer funds to online betting accounts, not that I'm doing that.

O/T but our work NRL footy tipping comp this year was based on betting odds. At the end of the 26 rounds and 4 weeks of finals (30 weeks) the "break even" was 3000 points. Only 7 out of 51 tippers were above 3000 points and only 2 made more than 10% (>3300 points). Sports betting really is a mugs game.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:16 AM »
I haven't fully delved into using rewards cards for the travel benefits, but I'll chip in with my current favourite credit card. The Citibank Signature card has a lot going for it (if you use this promo: http://www.citibank.com.au/familyandfriends/):
- no annual fee for life
- rewards card (option for Qantas tie-in for $49/year)
- most importantly, 0% balance transfer for 6 months (which you can at that point call and ask to extend) + Cheque to Self.

If you don't know about Cheque to Self, you should get on board. Basically it's a way to use up your balance transfer limit (up to 80% of your credit limit), but instead of them paying for a transferred credit card balance, they just deposit the full amount to your account, and you can then transfer it to your offset/mortgage, saving interest until the money is due. No fee, no interest, and no need for manufactured spending. My initial 6 months for the balance transfer just expired, but I called and got them to renew it for 12 more months. If they don't extend it after that, my plan is to just balance transfer to another credit card, and another, and another... while keeping the money in my account saving me interest. :D

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
Today I applied for a "Citibank Classic Visa" card.  $30k limit, with a $24k balance transfer. 18 months at 0%.  $89 annual fee.  The balance transfer will be received by me in cash.

I will put the 24k in the offset account for 18 months at 4.49%.  Required payments are 2%of the balance per month = $480 in month 1, $470.40 in month 2, $461 in month 3, etc.  The full remaining balance will need to be repaid in 18 months.

I estimate the benefit to be approx $1100.  But my credit score will be affected to an unknown extent.

I plan to call before activating the card and see if any more benefits are available.

Let me know what you think. 

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:35 AM »
As others have mentioned there's plenty of 0% balance transfer offers out there. These present the best value, especially if you have non-deductible debt like a mortgage.
Every now and then there is a points offer that comes along as well which is especially good value, the latest being the 50,000 ANZ offer with the first year annual fee waived.

Apart from citibank which gives you the cheque to self option, there is another way to extract cash from the balance transfers to place into your mortgage.
This requires a bankwest credit card and another bankwest account. I recommend the bankwest platinum zero card, as it has no annual fee and also no foreign exchange fees so is a pretty awesome card in and of itself. It has the extra benefit of being able to easily transfer any 'credit' amounts on the card over to another bankwest account in your name through online banking. No need to call anybody up and no fees involved as long as the card was in 'credit' and you do not owe anything on it after. Then you are free to transfer the money anywhere else you wish.

Another card worth mentioning is the amex platinum edge card which gives you 3 points per dollar for supermarket and 2 per dollar for fuel purchases. There's an annual fee but you get a free flight per year which is usually worth more. A lot of professional memberships will give you access to a cheaper version.
Not credit cards but I think I should also mention ING and Mebank debit cards which can give up to 5% cash back for paypass/wave transactions.

kaetana

• Bristles
Re: .
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 04:22:12 AM »
Today I applied for a "Citibank Classic Visa" card.  $30k limit, with a $24k balance transfer. 18 months at 0%.  $89 annual fee.  The balance transfer will be received by me in cash.

I will put the 24k in the offset account for 18 months at 4.49%.  Required payments are 2%of the balance per month = $480 in month 1, $470.40 in month 2, $461 in month 3, etc.  The full remaining balance will need to be repaid in 18 months.

I estimate the benefit to be approx $1100.  But my credit score will be affected to an unknown extent.

I plan to call before activating the card and see if any more benefits are available.

Let me know what you think.

Out of curiosity, why did you go for the Classic Visa with an annual fee instead of the Signature card with no annual fee?

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 04:26:09 AM »
Apart from citibank which gives you the cheque to self option, there is another way to extract cash from the balance transfers to place into your mortgage.
This requires a bankwest credit card and another bankwest account. I recommend the bankwest platinum zero card, as it has no annual fee and also no foreign exchange fees so is a pretty awesome card in and of itself. It has the extra benefit of being able to easily transfer any 'credit' amounts on the card over to another bankwest account in your name through online banking. No need to call anybody up and no fees involved as long as the card was in 'credit' and you do not owe anything on it after. Then you are free to transfer the money anywhere else you wish.

This is interesting. My main bank is Bankwest, so I could totally do this. When you transfer money from the credit card to a Bankwest account, does that count as a balance transfer and thus attract a 0% interest fee for x months?

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
Re: .
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 05:26:29 AM »
Out of curiosity, why did you go for the Classic Visa with an annual fee instead of the Signature card with no annual fee?

it was for 18 months at 0%, with a $90 annual fee.

the 'citi simplicity' was only 12 months at 0%, with 0 annual fee. 

so, having $24k for an extra 6 months is worth more than $90.

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 07:16:22 AM »
This is interesting. My main bank is Bankwest, so I could totally do this. When you transfer money from the credit card to a Bankwest account, does that count as a balance transfer and thus attract a 0% interest fee for x months?

You'll need to balance transfer to a bankwest credit card first. Then from there transfer the money to your bankwest account.

aussiesaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 04:42:41 AM »
Marty998 this is how I transfer to my mortgage.
Get the balance transfer paid to an existing cc that is with the same bank as my mortgage, then transfer via internet banking straight to my mortgage a count. It's classed as a cash advance and they charge me a $2.50 fee to do this but it works.

We keep an eye on any bank offering great deals and have used heaps. Just google balance transfer credit card. Almost all the banks offer the deals

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 06:18:01 AM »
Keep'um coming guys and gals. I was thinking of starting a thread like this. I'm so thick - I never carry cc balance, so I just assumed I couldn't do the 0% - doh!

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »
Tired with the slow rate of points from simple lousy purchasing, my newest round of credit card applications (all in one day) is as follows:
QFF Signup bonus - signup cost waived, plus 10,000 QFF points if 10,000 points earned in first three months (bonus points from credit card applications count so I've already ticked this box)
ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum - 25,000 QFF points, no annual fee (approved)
ANZ Rewards Platinum - 25,000 ANZ Rewards (can be converted into Velocity 1 for 1), no annual fee (approved)
NAB Qantas Rewards Platinum - 40,000 QFF for a $250 annual fee (approved)
NAB Velocity - 10,000 Velocity points, $65 annual fee (referred)
AMEX Velocity Escape - 10,000 Velocity, no annual fee (awaiting response)
Citibank Qantas Signature - 50,000 Velocity (10k spend in first three months), $348 annual fee (awaiting response)

I'm paying the annual fees on a couple of these, I'll try and get a refund when I cancel them but I'm fine with the cash -> points ratio on the ones I applied for. There were a few others I decided not to go for because the $-points wasn't as good.

I've also applied for a Bankwest Qantas transaction account. Unfortunately they no longer have a QFF points signup bonus but apparently the 5QFF points per transaction can be used 50 times per day and some people have had success doing, for example, 1c transactions for their phone bill at a time on the telstra website, 50 times per day. I'll give it a go and see if it's too tedious or not but if I could keep it up it would work out to be about 90,000 points annually.

Yes, I was bored last night.

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 06:36:52 PM »
Wow, good work BattlaP : )

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 06:46:03 PM »
update:

I received the cheque in the post last week from citibank for $24k.

it is currently sitting in my mortgage offset. 

I haven't received the first credit card statement in the post yet. 

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 07:06:10 AM »

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »
I had no idea you could basically use a 0% balance transfer as an interest free loan. I don't have a mortgage at the moment but that is certainly something I'll keep in mind.

Even with the current low interest rates on savings, if you can swing a 0% balance transfer of $25k for 12 months and wack it into an online savings account, there is a free $1000 or so (less tax, annual fees and of course any further rate cuts).

I feel like I must be missing something.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
Marty998 this is how I transfer to my mortgage.
Get the balance transfer paid to an existing cc that is with the same bank as my mortgage, then transfer via internet banking straight to my mortgage a count. It's classed as a cash advance and they charge me a $2.50 fee to do this but it works.

We keep an eye on any bank offering great deals and have used heaps. Just google balance transfer credit card. Almost all the banks offer the deals

Will they agree to a transfer to a cc without a negative balance ( i.e. if cc is at $0)?

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 12:25:46 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. Presently I have no debt (no, not even a mortgage) but am thinking about trying this out in the next few months... particularly the 'cheque to self' deals that Citibank seem to do. But not until MeBank's 5% cashback/4.10% savings account offer ends...

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 05:30:05 AM »
Why do you have to wait until your savings account offer ends? If anything do it while you still have the 4.10% to take advantage of it. Without debt and interest rates falling the benefit is decreasing.

The bank giving you a new card and transfering the balance to that card has no idea what you owe on the other card. So yes you can transfer to a card that has 0 balance. Bankwest cards are good for this as you can then transfer the 'credit' balance online to a transaction account and do with it what you will.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 06:40:09 AM »
Cheers. Good point, potm. Will do some research and look at applying for something as soon as my next employment contract is signed (which should be in the next week or so).

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »

The bank giving you a new card and transfering the balance to that card has no idea what you owe on the other card. So yes you can transfer to a card that has 0 balance. Bankwest cards are good for this as you can then transfer the 'credit' balance online to a transaction account and do with it what you will.

The only one I have done, required me to state what the balance is: I quite legitimately had a big balance due to a purchasing hump I have around this time of year: I just paid everything in one go instead of spacing them out.  If I'm asked for my balance  and its $0, I don't feel its right to make up a figure thats not true, just to get the balance transfer. To me that would be obtaining the money by fraudulent means.

Wadiman

• Stubble
Westpac - 60,000 FF points, no annual fee for first year
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
Hi there -

Just applied for and was accepted for Westpac's Altitude Black card.  They have waived the annual fee for the first year.

Only available when you apply at a branch.  Comes with the usual bells and whistles but also haas some Qantas lounge passes.

60,000 points are not to be sneezed at!

This is the best CC offer I have seen for a while

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 06:47:09 AM »
Wadiman, I also got a Westpac Altitude AmEx + Mastercard. The offer was too good to resist!

Recently I've been working on a "credit card portfolio". I got the idea from http://www.ausbt.com.au/building-a-portfolio-of-credit-cards-for-maximum-frequent-flyer-points. Currently my portfolio looks like this:

Overseas transactions: 28 Degrees Mastercard, Bankwest Zero Platinum Mastercard
Price protection: 28 Degrees Mastercard
Groceries and Petrol: American Express Platinum Edge
Maximum Frequent Flyer Points: Westpac Altitude Black - American Express
Non-Amex for Frequent Flyer Points: Citibank Signature Visa / Westpac Altitude Black - Mastercard
Balance Transfers: Citibank Signature Visa / Bankwest Zero Platinum Mastercard

So far none of these have an annual fee except for the Platinum Edge (previously mentioned by potm) which gives you a free return domestic flight to at least compensate you for the fee. The Westpac cards are free for a year. I intend to review the card situation and probably cancel before the fee is charged.

Currently contemplating the 40,000 bonus point NAB offer.

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 02:37:53 AM »
Another happy customer with the altitude black..

Oh, and from my round last time..
ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum, ANZ Rewards Platinum,NAB Qantas Rewards Platinum, NAB Velocity, AMEX Velocity Escape were all approved, abused and cancelled. Citibank Qantas Signature was denied, meh. The fee was too high anyway.

I only waited a little while (since December) before applying for the Altitude, and I also threw in an application for a Bankwest card on the same day that was also approved.

So my thinking is don't be shy with the applications, I've only had one turned down so far.

oh and the bankwest qantas 1c telstra payments works great do your own research or pm me. its great and will not last forever

fucash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
Wadiman, I also got a Westpac Altitude AmEx + Mastercard. The offer was too good to resist!

Recently I've been working on a "credit card portfolio". I got the idea from http://www.ausbt.com.au/building-a-portfolio-of-credit-cards-for-maximum-frequent-flyer-points. Currently my portfolio looks like this:

Overseas transactions: 28 Degrees Mastercard, Bankwest Zero Platinum Mastercard
Price protection: 28 Degrees Mastercard
Groceries and Petrol: American Express Platinum Edge
Maximum Frequent Flyer Points: Westpac Altitude Black - American Express
Non-Amex for Frequent Flyer Points: Citibank Signature Visa / Westpac Altitude Black - Mastercard
Balance Transfers: Citibank Signature Visa / Bankwest Zero Platinum Mastercard

So far none of these have an annual fee except for the Platinum Edge (previously mentioned by potm) which gives you a free return domestic flight to at least compensate you for the fee. The Westpac cards are free for a year. I intend to review the card situation and probably cancel before the fee is charged.

Currently contemplating the 40,000 bonus point NAB offer.

Nice post.

I also grabbed the Amex Express Platinum Edge. Personally, this will pay for itself, and some.

Free flight is practically covering its value.
I'll earn at least 2 return trips to visit my family also via points from grocery purchases.

^ 3x Domestic flights for the $200 card cost = $22 one-way per trip.

----

You can also grab 7.5% discount Woolworths wish cards when they come up for grabs and use the Amex to pay for it.

Result: 7.5% off your groceries and 3x points for every dollar, is pretty damn good.

I've seen some posts where people will end up buying $2,000 worth of gift cards. Not a bad strategy.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 06:43:02 AM »
Need some advice. I applied for and received an ANZ black last year, and recently cancelled it as the annual fee would have been due soon. Is there any point in applying for another ANZ card for their awesome sign up bonus and $0 first year fee, or will I be knocked back having had a different one from them already?

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 06:54:48 AM »
Is there any point in applying for another ANZ card for their awesome sign up bonus and $0 first year fee, or will I be knocked back having had a different one from them already?

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, as long as you comply with the terms and conditions of whatever the current offer is.
ANZ are pretty liberal with their points.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
Woohoo, thanks Andy. I'll fill in the paperwork this evening =)

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »
I played hard with balance transfers and card churning years ago and trashed my credit report.  All is well again now, but it took a long time.  It was a hidden cost to credit card churning that I didn't appreciate at the time.  These days, I'm sticking with one credit card churn / balance transfer at a time, to avoid too much of a ding on my credit score.

My current version is a balance transfer from Citibank Platinum.  $199 annual fee, 0% balance transfer for 24 months (cheque to self). It means that $48k is sitting in the offset account for the next two years. Less fees and dead time, its worth about $3500 to me.

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 07:50:06 AM »
I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount you can get as a balance transfer? If I apply for enough cards with big enough balances, then could I have my entire mortgage offset?

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 08:01:47 AM »
You are limited by how much you can get approved for. All your applications will show up on your credit report. Some banks will report the limit as well.

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 08:26:43 AM »
I guess that is the advantage of doing a lot of applications at the same time, as won't be on credit report yet.

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2015, 05:44:14 AM »
Well this has been an interesting experience for me. I got balance transfers totalling just over $54000 to put on my mortgage offset account, plus another $20000 in credit and 50000 points. Obviously I didn't have enough credit cards already! Thanks to this fantastic thread, I will be saving around $10 a day on mortgage interest, at least initially.  Plus I can track it all in the anzmoneymanager which if you haven't heard be recommend before, then hear it now. I am going to kill that mortgage!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 05:55:35 AM »
Wow, Nora, that is fantastic. Why stop at one, when you can do many. As you say, doing a number at a time probably slips you under the credit score radar. I wonder how it will effect your credit score in a year or so when you will need to put in some more applications.

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 05:57:05 AM »
Stuffed it I would guess, but I can't wait to do it all again and find out! Like someone said, they can only say no.

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
great result nora.

I have a few balance transfers on the go. 

The problem I am having now is that I am being offered only a low credit limit (e.g. $8k).    There is little point in getting a $7500 balance transfer - a lot of hassle for small benefit.