Author Topic: Creative Living Ideas for SF  (Read 3975 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Creative Living Ideas for SF
« on: May 29, 2015, 04:19:50 AM »
I will be moving to San Francisco in the next few months and am WELL aware of the cost of living issues, especially in regards to
housing.

I was wondering what creative ideas people have thought of or are doing to make thing more affordable without too much sacrifice for quality of life. 
One early idea I had which has sparked a few more- living in with an elderly couple who may want assistance with house work, grocery runs, etc..
Finding some one who has been looking for a house/ dog sitter for several months while they are traveling.

These are obviously short term solutions but I think that would be best for me as I am first getting acclimated to the city.

Do you guys have any ideas on other options?

humblefi

• Stubble
    • Humble FI
Re: Creative Living Ideas for SF
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:18 PM »
Good idea to look for creative living ideas. I have one question that hopefully helps in clarifying things for me and possible others on the forum.
Are you looking for creative ideas for reducing expenses OR increasing income?

The two options can have different creative ideas.
+ Helping people and making extra money => increasing income
+ You (day shift employee) sharing accommodation with a night shift employee => reducing expenses

Please clarify which one you are looking for.

Cassie Hill 2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
I'm assuming you are open to roommate situations, right? I would start perusing Craig's List now, if you haven't already. While the city has lost much of its "alternative" scene to the tech industry, there are still the occasional co-op housing opportunity if you know where to look. Are you able to visit ahead of time on a scouting trip?  Try visiting some of the cooperatively run businesses and see if the people working there have recommendations. Rainbow Grocery, Arizmendi Bakery, Berkeley Cheese Board are some of these businesses that may have info.  I'd recommend being open to Oakland and Berkeley for housing too.
If you have experience with children and like child care you could look into live in nanny jobs.
Be prepared for crazy prices. Seriously.

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 07:25:21 PM »
Definitely open to roommates. Thats really my only option price wise.

Is craigs list the best method for searching for housing these days? I should probably put up an ad now if so.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:28:37 PM by wealthviahealth »

Cassie Hill 2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »
Well, everyone I know has used it to find a roommate situation. I'd peruse it now.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »
If your plan is to move into the city, you should keep in mind that rents have gone up 30% for 1 bdrm and 60% for 2 bdrm in the last 3 years.  I live and work outside the city, and it is typically cheaper in the suburbs, but not necessarily as cheap as you'd hope. 

I found my roommate situation through church, and it's worked out well for about 2 months.  I don't see myself moving any time soon (maybe until I FIRE next year, if I can keep my sanity for that long at my current job). 

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
My advice housing-wise is to try and find a room in a shared house with some UC Berkeley grad students. Berkeley/North Oakland is a great location, with easy access to the city via BART, and there are a number of big old houses that are shared amongst 4+ people. Grad students generally range from 22-early 30s, and tend to have their shit together, so they make pretty good house mates. You should be able to find something in the 600-1000$ range depending on location. Craigslist is probably your best bet.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
live out of a van until you get a significant other. or live in a hotel in the tenderloin.