Author Topic: Creating my own web app/site--how? should I bother?  (Read 1756 times)

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
Creating my own web app/site--how? should I bother?
« on: December 12, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
I want a tool that doesn't seem to be available in the form that I desire.   I think others would like to use it too.  It would involve a particular way to combine social media with a calendar.

Should I try to make it myself, or would it be too hard?  Where should I turn to learn how?  I feel like it could be a good learning exercise for me, or a waste of time.  What do you think?  Point me in a good direction!

Home Stretch

• Stubble
Re: Creating my own web app/site--how? should I bother?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
Tell me your idea so I can show you that it's already been made 10 times over.

(just kidding, but I am curious what your idea is in a little more detail. I promise I won't steal it)

As far as learning web development, that is an infinite rabbit hole that you can go down as far as you'd like. I mean, for a lot of people it's their entire career. I definitely recommend tinkering around with HTML and CSS first since it's free and there are thousands of good resources and tutorials online to learn (here's a list of some good ones: https://www.codingdojo.com/blog/best-free-web-development-courses-beginners/). From there, if you're still interested, you'd want to start learning more about server-side development, web development frameworks, and how to host a web site.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
I'd recommend two things:

Pat Flynns book "Will it fly?" On starting a new idea or business.  If after that the answer is yes, he has a "BYOB" build your own brand course that walks through website creation step by step.

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
It sounds like you are going to need to write some code. I would start off by looking for decent tutorials on Python and C. Android and iOS apps don't use these languages, but they will quickly let you know it you have the aptitude for programming or not.

You will probably have to learn a little bit of Linux too. A web or server based application needs to live somewhere.

You can do all of this "testing the waters" without spending any money as long as you have a computer with a few GB of RAM to run a *nix VM in Virtual Box.

Without specifics, I can't tell you how feasible something is. Some things that seem easy are really hard. Search the web for traveling salesman problem for a good example. Feel free to PM me if you don't want your idea in public.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
Tell me your idea so I can show you that it's already been made 10 times over.

(just kidding, but I am curious what your idea is in a little more detail. I promise I won't steal it)

As far as learning web development, that is an infinite rabbit hole that you can go down as far as you'd like. I mean, for a lot of people it's their entire career. I definitely recommend tinkering around with HTML and CSS first since it's free and there are thousands of good resources and tutorials online to learn (here's a list of some good ones: https://www.codingdojo.com/blog/best-free-web-development-courses-beginners/). From there, if you're still interested, you'd want to start learning more about server-side development, web development frameworks, and how to host a web site.
It kind of has been done separately, but not completely to my vision and definitely not in the combination that I envision.  I've done a small amount of web design...years ago.  I found it fun, and easy, but I know everything has changed since then.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check it out.  (And may PM you my idea later).

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »
I'd recommend two things:

Pat Flynns book "Will it fly?" On starting a new idea or business.  If after that the answer is yes, he has a "BYOB" build your own brand course that walks through website creation step by step.
I'm not sure I'm interested in pursuing it as a business.  I could definitely see it becoming one, if it caught on, but that is not my main reason for wanting to do this.  I want something that works a certain way, and nobody's made it, and it seems crazy that noone has done it yet.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »
It sounds like you are going to need to write some code. I would start off by looking for decent tutorials on Python and C. Android and iOS apps don't use these languages, but they will quickly let you know it you have the aptitude for programming or not.

You will probably have to learn a little bit of Linux too. A web or server based application needs to live somewhere.

You can do all of this "testing the waters" without spending any money as long as you have a computer with a few GB of RAM to run a *nix VM in Virtual Box.

Without specifics, I can't tell you how feasible something is. Some things that seem easy are really hard. Search the web for traveling salesman problem for a good example. Feel free to PM me if you don't want your idea in public.
Thanks, I will PM you later on.
I have taken a little computer science, but coding does not come naturally to me.  I will PM you specifics later, but I will say I've seen basic components available to the public for free customization.  I am not sure how feasible it is for me even using these.