Author Topic: Cravings...  (Read 5914 times)

vagon

• Stubble
Cravings...
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »
So things are going reasonably well as I am progressing into mustachianism.
On the consumables front I am bringing lunches from home, have removed soft-drink, reducing my booze intake and converting to more homebrew.

As a result I have lost a lot of weight just passively but I am also experiencing cravings.
I have never been on a diet before and never really needed to, but I am starting to appreciate how it feels.

In the afternoons I find myself thinking about the cheeseburgers, soft-drink and chocolate that are a  short walk from my desk.
I never had this before when I ate out for lunches - so its freaking me out a little.

So Pete's game-plan is the under desk stash mentioned here: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/06/17/get-rich-with-the-secret-food-stash/
But my office is hot-desked so no personal fridge for me.

What are some good alternatives?
Is there some mind-trick I can play on myself?
Maybe its just focusing on non-refrigerated healthy snacks and bring them in daily?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cravings...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
I've found having dry fruit and nuts on my desk helps abate my cravings and gives me the sugar high that I'm looking for late in the afternoon. They are also filling enough that I don't need a lot.

That said, when I can't take my mind off any craving, I find going for a walk around work can usually get me to forget it.

YMMV

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »
So things are going reasonably well as I am progressing into mustachianism.
On the consumables front I am bringing lunches from home, have removed soft-drink, reducing my booze intake and converting to more homebrew.

As a result I have lost a lot of weight just passively but I am also experiencing cravings.
I have never been on a diet before and never really needed to, but I am starting to appreciate how it feels.

In the afternoons I find myself thinking about the cheeseburgers, soft-drink and chocolate that are a  short walk from my desk.
I never had this before when I ate out for lunches - so its freaking me out a little.

So Pete's game-plan is the under desk stash mentioned here: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/06/17/get-rich-with-the-secret-food-stash/
But my office is hot-desked so no personal fridge for me.

What are some good alternatives?
Is there some mind-trick I can play on myself?
Maybe its just focusing on non-refrigerated healthy snacks and bring them in daily?

You shouldn't need a fridge to keep chocolate (although I don't know what hot-desked means, so maybe I don't understand your issue completely).   I find a few pieces of dark chocolate goes a long way to get rid of cravings.   Maybe combine it with some salty nuts (whichever are most satisfying to you), or crackers with or without peanut butter, and maybe some sweet fruit, and you might be able to ward off some of them.

Starter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
I've had 3 babies and am no stranger to dieting and cravings.

I find that when I have a craving it is because my body is missing something from that food.  (ie. I crave chocolate when I'm tired b/c the sugar will give me added energy)  So what are you craving?

Something sweet (like chocolate): I substitute with fruit (fresh or dried) or a vitamin C tablet (tastes like candy!!).  Sometimes I just       chew gum (sweet taste with much fewer calories).
Something fatty (like a burger): I substitute natural peanut butter (on toast, celery, apple, whatever!).  Raw nuts are good too.
Something salty (like chips): I substitute  seeds.  Pumpkin and sunflower are my favorite.

Good luck with the cravings!

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:26:21 PM »
Thanks guys, I think seems like a small, non-refrigerated snack-stash is the way to go.

I don't know what hot-desked means

It just means we dont have fixed desks, every has laptops and its first in, best dressed.

I find that when I have a craving it is because my body is missing something from that food.  (ie. I crave chocolate when I'm tired b/c the sugar will give me added energy)  So what are you craving?

Great advice!

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
I get the mid afternoon chocolate cravings in a big way but usually a piece of fruit will fix it for me. I've found I don't have to refrigerate fruit if I take some in daily. Today I had some really delicious cantaloupe that was so sweet it was better than candy. Every day I take a small variety of snacks like sunflower seeds (for the salty cravings) the fruit (for the sweet cravings) and sometimes a cut up veggies like carrots, celery or cucumber.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »
I definitely know where you are coming from. I have always consumed a high calorie diet, especially back when I was doing heavy physical labour everyday. I added it up and found that it was actually costing quite a bit of money and was slowly expanding the waist line even though I've always worked out hard regularly (weights, Insanity, running, crossfit). Around June my weight was flirting with 200 lbs, so I quit snacks cold turkey. I eat 3 meals a day with proper portions and that's it. It's actually helped a lot physically and I've lost nearly 15 lbs, put on a chunk of muscle. and currently I'm in probably the best shape I've ever been from an appearance perspective.

When I get cravings I remind myself that it's pretty badass to feel some hunger / craving and fight through it. I also let myself cheat once every 2 weeks. Usually that means a Wendy's burger. I have to say that the cravings are a lot less now then they were even a month ago. Also check your diet portions for your meals. I would bet that if you boost your complex carbs and fat intake especially at the start of the day (breakfast and lunch) you will benefit quite a bit. Eat things like eggs, cheese, dense homemade multigrain breads, whole wheat noodles, olive oil based pasta sauces, etc. Generally going out for lunch means you're eating high-fat foods so this might actually be what drives your cravings.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »
To me it sounds like you're just HUNGRY, and you don't seem too concerned with dieting/losing weight.  Either bring a bigger lunch or plan an afternoon snack.  Your brown bagged lunches are probably many many fewer calories than your lunches out.

BaldingStoic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »
Costco sells 3lb bags of almonds, walnuts, and pecans which have  become a staple for me; and are a perfect office food since no refrigeration is required.  Other tips are to eat high-fiber foods that are low on the Glycemic Index.   The high-fiber will leave you feeling full.  The low GI, prevents the insulin spike that drops your blood sugar and makes you feel hungry sooner.   

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »

I don't know what hot-desked means

It just means we dont have fixed desks, every has laptops and its first in, best dressed.

What language do you folks in Australia speak??

;-)

isbjshaffer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Paying down 40k in Student Loans by 9/1/15!
    • Church of Acts
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
Drinking coffee or tea (chai, earl grey, green, etc) provides me with a flavor (ANY flavor) that my body is seeking - I sweeten it with stevia - not sugar though.