Author Topic: Crash with the in-laws or act fast on a good deal?  (Read 3447 times)

timtom123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Crash with the in-laws or act fast on a good deal?
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:08:27 AM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:42:09 AM by timtom123 »

YTProphet

• Stubble
Re: Crash with the in-laws or act fast on a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:13:45 AM »
Two things:
1) I'd jump on the good deal while you can. You'd save maybe $1500 by staying with her parents for 3 months, but you may end up losing that if you don't find as good of a deal when August rolls around.
2) Are you pooling finances with your girlfriend? If so, that's an recipe for a financial and legal disaster. You may say "we plan on getting married" or "we get along well so it'll work out". Trust me, everyone thinks they're the exception and says that before the sh*t hits the fan. I'd keep separate finances until you're legally married.

timtom123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:19:06 AM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:43:50 AM by timtom123 »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »
Sounds like a good deal. It might be difficult to find rentals later in the fall.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »
Also, some things are worth paying for. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit to not live with my in-laws. Your preferences and in-laws may vary.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
It sounds like a good situation--I'd take it. You'll want some time to settle in to a routine at your new home and get it set up before starting work.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 01:09:31 PM »
I would definitely move into that apartment.  That rent is dirt cheap

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »
Also, some things are worth paying for. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit to not live with my in-laws. Your preferences and in-laws may vary.

I don't think you COULD pay me to live with my in-laws. It's not because they're terrible or even unpleasant people; it's just the nature of the relationship. And you sure as hell couldn't pay me to move in with my girlfriend's/boyfriend's parents. For us, that would have made the transition to "independent and financially stable household of our own" much more difficult than it already is after marriage.

Two things:
1) I'd jump on the good deal while you can. You'd save maybe $1500 by staying with her parents for 3 months, but you may end up losing that if you don't find as good of a deal when August rolls around.
2) Are you pooling finances with your girlfriend? If so, that's an recipe for a financial and legal disaster. You may say "we plan on getting married" or "we get along well so it'll work out". Trust me, everyone thinks they're the exception and says that before the sh*t hits the fan. I'd keep separate finances until you're legally married.

Also, you may also lose out on the roommate if you wait around, and a good roommate + good living situation is a very desirable situation indeed.

And also #2. I have too many friends in your/our age bracket that didn't at least make a contingency plan or only made a vague one ("well, I guess you'd move out and I'd get a different roommate..."), then struggled when it didn't transition smoothly into marriage. Legally speaking, "we" haven't saved up anything, until you're married or until you share the account. Unlike divorce, there's no legal recourse for, say, if you paid the rent for the first five months, then she dumped you in December and moved in with her parents. If there's no agreement in writing, you're stuck with having paid twice the rent and with a vacancy in the property. It can also work out that people think they'll be adults, but if a breakup is bad, there can be disagreement about what is the "right" way to resolve it if it's not on paper...both parties thinking the way they want is the most equitable. I'm not saying it'll happen; it's just about risk mitigation.

Lots of ways for living together before marriage and sharing expenses to work out and be beneficial. Obviously you know your situation...lots of things to think about and discuss together though, and it comes to mind because you already speak of your assets as joint.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!