Author Topic: craft/activity idea needed!  (Read 4970 times)

scrubbyfish

craft/activity idea needed!
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
Our group needs a craft or other indoor activity (game, etc) meeting this criteria:

-cheap or free
-allows new arrivals to walk into it and start whenever
-suitable for ages 4-17
-indoors (but we have lots of room)
-15-20 minutes (additional time available for clean up)

All I can think of so far is making paper snowflakes. If I knew how to do fancy ones, I'd lead that...but I don't.

I need an initial idea ASAP, but I'll be referring back to the thread in subsequent weeks, too, so an influx of ideas over the days and weeks will be appreciated and used!

scrubbyfish

Re: craft/activity idea needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Hi Mom to 5: It can be Christmas-theme, winter-theme, or no theme > just gotta keep some kids busy on the cheap! :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »
age-graded wrestling tournament

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
Check Pinterest. Your head will explode with all the crafty ideas there.

I'd probably make Christmas ornaments from recycled materials. The older kids who finish faster can just start a second one. Or help the younger kids.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »
Paper chains or garlands made out of construction paper?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »

How about homemade snow globes?  They're easy enough for the small children, and not completely hokey for the older ones. 

If you have access to baby food jars, that'd be cheapest, but small canning jars aren't all that expensive.  Glue a little plastic something-something -- a tiny Santa, perhaps -- to the inside of the lid.  Fill the jars with water (use bottled water to avoid growth of nasty fungus later) and add Christmas glitter.  For the small children, you should glue the lids closed.  Cover the bottom with something -- paint, Christmas colored contact paper, fabric. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
Make homemade ornaments out of a playdough like substance.  I've got a recipe I can post online when I get home if you are interested.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »
We mass produce a homemade ornament every year, this year we did Rudolph ornaments.  I found the idea here, my 12 year old and her friends had a blast making them, but might be a bit pricy for a bunch of kids since the plastic globe ornaments are 50c each at Michaels. 

http://smartschoolhouse.com/crafts-and-diy/santa-rudolph-ornaments

I love this puzzle piece snowflake ornament also, I think it is the one for next year and should be able to do for way cheap, a dollar store puzzle and can of white spray paint. 

http://www.thatswhatchesaid.net/2012/puzzle-piece-snowflake-ornament/

Last one I don't have a picture, but we cut 1 inch slices from dead trees (maybe 4 inches round?) with a chop saw and mod podged cut out snowflakes and parts of Christmas cards to one side, add an eyehook to hang the ornament.  I sprayed them with polyurethane, but probably wasn't needed. 

TONS of ideas on pinterest, you could also google christmas ornament and/or crafts from recycled materials.   

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 06:32:15 PM »
Theatre Sports!

Awesome for kids, promotes teamwork, builds confidence, encourages imagination and quick thinking. Can easily be customized to age/skill level and interest.

A few good places to start:

http://improv.ca/training/warm-ups/

http://improvencyclopedia.org/games/

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »
Oh, another fun one.  Every once in a rare while, my mom would pull out the old parachute at gymnastics warmup (she used to trade lessons as a coach for class for us).  Super fun, if you can get ahold of one.  20+ years later I only remember some of the things we'd do (run holding the edge, lift half and lower half, pop it up and run under to a new spot before it falls back down like musical chairs, etc., but I can ask her if you find one.  Never occurred to us we were running around, stretching etc.  :)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
Hey everyone! I was off-line since shortly after posting and reading the responses, and want to thank you all! I LOVED the ideas, and now I have a whole stash of them for future!

I'm not at all "crafty" so this was new and a stretch for me. Your ideas made my commitment seem doable. I ended up taking elements of several, and we all made very cute angels! The kids of all ages loved doing it, and the results were fantastic!

I suggested to the kids that they take their completed angels, think about who has been an angel in their lives this year, and present the angel to that person between now and Christmas with their memory/gratitude. So, a paper/peg/pipe cleaner angel to each of you!

StaceStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »
Snowflakes: simple ones for the younger kids, and the more challenging but really cool 3D ones for the older kids - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tmhFQpruyE