Author Topic: Tax on cash tips  (Read 1304 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 24
Tax on cash tips
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »
I just recently started working full-time as a bartender and am taking home a decent amount each month in cash tips. As I understand it, it is up to me to record and report my total cash tips when I fill out my taxes, so they will end up being taxed at the same rate as my salary. Does anyone have any advice or strategies for a completely legitimate and legal way to minimize taxes on these tips?


  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 5508
  • Age: 36
  • Location: Seattle, WA
    • My blog
Re: Tax on cash tips
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 09:38:31 AM »
Same as any other income: you can put money into an IRA, contribute to an HSA, donate to charity, get a mortgage, move cities for a new job, have kids, etc. There's really no difference between this income and any other job-related income.


  • Bristles
  • ***
  • Posts: 411
Re: Tax on cash tips
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »
Only legal way to not pay taxes on the tip is to find the money on the ground and not claim them as tips.