Author Topic: Couches: How to buy/where to buy?  (Read 6346 times)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Couches: How to buy/where to buy?
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »
We need some new couches.  When we moved into our house a bit over a year ago, we picked up a set, cheap, that has held up for the year - but is rapidly falling apart.  Literally.  They weren't that expensive to start with, the transport was a bit rough, and they sat outside under tarps for longer than we'd hoped while our house got finished.

So, we need new couches.

I'm aware that one can spend obscene amounts of money on couches (we looked at one set in the Seattle area that was, oh, $5k...), but we'd rather not do that.  We don't need power recliners.  We don't need USB in the armrests.  We don't need built in cupholders.

We would like "kid-resistant surfaces" - so, ideally, something that can be cleaned easily.  The fake leather stuff we have now works well, and cleans up nicely.

A fold out sleeper would be nice, but is not at all required.  We have camping air mattresses we set people up on if they're crashing the night, and we'd rather not make the place too cozy to stay over. :)

So... given all that, what do I need to know to avoid overpaying, and where are good places to look?  There's the various "Discount Furniture Warehouse" type places, name brand stores, etc.  I'm not opposed to paying $1000-$1500 for a good pair of couches, but I want something that's going to last for that kind of money.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Couches: How to buy/where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
I've actually had good luck with IKEA couches. I have a leather one and it has held up very well over the years - I use it every day (I am not easy on my furniture) and have a dog who jumps/sits on it, etc.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
The round trip fuel cost to the nearest IKEA makes that not terribly likely. :)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:56:23 AM »
We trudged around looking at couches a couple of years ago, and the really nice ones were really expensive. And honestly - I'm not sure that I want the same couch forever and ever. Styles change more than you might think (I've outlived a couple of couches at this point.)

We did settle on IKEA and we had them delivered. We wanted something that was easy to clean, because of the cats, and these have covers that can be taken off and washed or replaced.

Good luck!

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:02:03 AM »
Not sure whether this is a British phenomenon, but near me there are several charity shops that specifically sell furniture. I got my two sofas from one in very good condition, £25 a piece and £20 delivery. I had to be very open-minded on styles and one day I would love to replace them with something I chose, but I can't beat that value.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:08:51 AM »
We slowly accumulated a set of black leather furniture off of Craigslist and local Facebook swap groups.

I think we paid around $600 total for 2 recliners, a loveseat, 3 fullsize couches, and an ottoman.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:14:57 AM »
I like Room and Board for furniture. Mostly American-made, you can shop online, and they deliver. You can read the online reviews for the pieces you're interested in. I got one of the most inexpensive sofas, and it's been fine. (Was around $1,000). P.S. Thanks to whoever on MMM recommended Room and Board.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:55:23 AM »
Another IKEA one here. We used to have this couch:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89129207/

It's basic, a classic design, and comfortable. You can get different slips for it. A great buy for a family who knows young kids means that furniture needs to be "disposable" if need be. It got destroyed when our house flooded so now we have this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39129827/

It's a little more expensive but we think it's a little more comfortable and stylish. Still for $600 you can't beat it. We were able to get a second slip for the whole thing in the discount zone near the checkouts for $10. When the kid spills all over it, off goes slip one and on goes slip 2. The materials are surprisingly durable. Slipcovers are easy to get.

A trip to IKEA is always worth it in my opinion. So much of their stuff is much higher quality than would think. Much of our furniture is IKEA and it turns out having furniture you can take apart makes for very easy moving/packing/storing.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:17 AM »
A round trip to the nearest IKEA is 750 miles and 11 hours of driving. More, really, because I won't run my truck at 80.

And about $150 in diesel.

Plus a hotel stay, because with a toddler there's no way we can do a one day trip there and back.

Is IKEA still worth it at that time//cost?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »
We splurged a bit and bought a $1200 sectional from Macy's furniture  that we are pretty happy with

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:18 AM »
Check out article.com  flat rate shipping, stylish designs.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »
We are looking for a new couch (not as desperate as your situation).  We have priced out what we're looking for at 10-12 places -> new, slightly used, discount (dent/scratch), etc. We have an IKEA within ~20 minutes but I don't think they are DRASTICALLY cheaper than other places.  We actually just bought two armoires at Big Lots that were much cheaper than what IKEA had to offer.

Still haven't decided, but we did like Ashley Furniture the best so far.  I think Front Room Furnishings also had decent options.  That said, we're still on the hunt to find an even better bargain.

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 09:44:57 AM »
Not sure whether this is a British phenomenon, but near me there are several charity shops that specifically sell furniture. I got my two sofas from one in very good condition, £25 a piece and £20 delivery. I had to be very open-minded on styles and one day I would love to replace them with something I chose, but I can't beat that value.

Not just a British phenomenon! We have several thrift stores where couches can be had for $10-200. Those looking for something more expensive can also check out antique and consignment stores (still better value than brand-new, in my experience). Craigslist also has furniture, though I have less patience with it in general.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
Craigslist. I bought a couch, loveseat, ottoman set in long lasting faux-leather for $400. It only cost that much because I was a motivated buyer who had to take the best deal available on the day I had the truck.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
I was just at a Goodwill in a really nice area and they had a beautiful, comfortable, like-new oversized loveseat in a thick, durable fabric for $50. I'm not even looking for furniture but if I'd had a truck, I likely would have bought it because it was really nice and we technically could use it in our library/game room. I've seen some lovely furniture there often.

I would suggest looking at the ritzy area consignment/thrift shops for a month or so before considering new purchases.

Also agree on Craigslist - have seen some gorgeous living room sets for like a quarter of their price because someone is moving or upgrading.

All I'd do is rent a steam cleaner (or even spring for a company to come to the house) to give them a good cleaning if it was me.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
A round trip to the nearest IKEA is 750 miles and 11 hours of driving. More, really, because I won't run my truck at 80.

Plus a hotel stay, because with a toddler there's no way we can do a one day trip there and back.

No, but it might help to know your location so we can suggest stores or areas that are closer to you ;)

Craigslist is a good option although I would only buy leather or similar from there.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 10:20:40 AM »
We got fairly inexpensive pieces from World Market. Not sure how well they'll hold up, but they're replacing a reasonably expensive couch that became saggy and sad after 17 or so years. (Yeah, so nothing lasts forever...I imagine it could've been re-upholstered, but after looking at it for 17 or so years and thinking, for the last 10 "that doesn't really fit in that space" I was OK with donating it.)

On the other hand, they're great pieces to use in a formal-ish living room where they are used for seated and reclined reading, and not much else.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »
I'm really picky on couches. They need to be the right proportions otherwise my back starts to ache sitting on them too long, and I'm the type who wants to snuggle and wedge myself into the corner with a good book. So many couches are the wrong angle, too long on the butt cushion so you end up hunching, not supportive enough, etc.

The first couch that I LOVED and was so comfortable we got at Goodwill on a random day for $20. We were juniors in college and had that couch for two years. When we graduated we didn't have room to bring it home with us (university was 6 hours away), so we ended up selling it for $40 to another deserving poor college kid.

Then DH and I cycled through a few IKEA futons (too long on the seat and you end up hunching/bad for the lower back), a few freebie couches from family (lost all support and too sink-y), a few craiglist couches (better, but after more than an hour sitting on them both our backs start aching).

Eventually we gave up on the second-hand couches because we actively avoided sitting on them and were having no luck scouring goodwill/facebook swaps/craigslist. The search was just getting exhausting and we went un-mustachian and decided to go to a real store.

Found a faux leather couch from Schniedermans that I liked a lot for a while (paid $2k ouch!), but the stuffing quickly lost its supportiveness and we ran into the same problem. We also began disliking how we "stuck" to the couch on summer days wearing shorts, but we did like how easy it was to clean. Sold that one on craigslist and went back to our old slouchy IKEA futon while we looked for something else.

Finally, we bit the bullet and bought another, higher quality couch from Schniedermans again, I think. It was the same brand as the original awesome college couch - a Bluesteel couch. Much more supportive, proper proportions, and I can snuggle up on it for hours with my hoard of library books. We did pay I think almost $4k for it which I feel is outrageous for a couch, but I finally like sitting down on a couch again so I feel like it was worth it. I suffered through 3+ years of uncomfortable couches and I've finally accepted that I'm willing to pay a bit more to not have my back ache :) Of course, I wish we could have struck gold at goodwill like we did in college, but the stars were not aligning.

This one is fabric, so a bit more comfortable on the skin than the faux leather, and we purposely chose very durable fabric because we will have kids at some point. Our plan is to invest in a sheet or spring for a couch cover for the younger years to prevent most of the bigger stains, and possibly invest in a kid-friendly, crappy couch for the family room and hide this nice one somewhere else where kids are less likely to get at it. That's what my own parents did, we had this hideous brown plaid couch in the family room for about 9 or 10 years and the nice couch downstairs where we spent less time. Then when we got older we switched and the crappy couch got put downstairs for kids to hang out on and the nice couch up in the public family room.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:39:42 AM by Lady Smartass »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 04:51:09 PM »
These days I would worry about bedbugs in second hand upholstered sofas.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
Does your area have an active branch of the Buy Nothing Project? We recently got a very decent leather sleeper sofa on there for $0 plus the cost of hiring a guy with a truck to help me move the thing across town.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »

I live 8 hours north of an Ikea, but the ship-to-home rate is still the same (in Canada). It may be the same for you.

Also, you could wait for their yearly free shipping sale, often around Black Friday or Christmas.

After looking at a TON of options we ordered a KIVIK sectional. Even with shipping it was absolutely worth it.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 08:25:42 PM »
Another vote for IKEA. We have an EKTORP couch with two STOCKSUND chairs. Our ottoman is also IKEA (and our dining room set, for that matter), but I can't remember which line. For the price, I don't feel like you can beat IKEA. Our last couch was just a bit cheaper (purchased at Big Lots) but did not hold up nearly as well to us, our 4yo daughter, and our dog & cat.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »
Huh.  Free shipping on couches?

I'm outside Boise, if that helps.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
Huh.  Free shipping on couches?

I'm outside Boise, if that helps.

It was one day last year... possibly Boxing Day?

Using the IKEA estimator by zip code, shipping to Boise is apparently a flat $349 whether you order 1 sofa or 12. Perhaps you can find one or two other people who want an IKEA sofa and get all your couches delivered to one address?

Also, apparently this company exists solely to make IKEA runs and bring product to Boise. Looks a little bit cheaper.
http://www.assembledinboise.com/p/shipping-cost-estimator.html
$160 for delivery of one $499 Friheten sofa.