Author Topic: Costco - what to buy?  (Read 30561 times)

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
Costco - what to buy?
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
I don't have a massive apartment, so I won't be buying tons of things in bulk, just wondering what people are finding the most useful.

I'm thinking mostly meats, some home supplies, and possibly appliances. I don't eat much processed food, but I have heard from my vegetarian friends that Costco is really good for avocados.

tuyop

• Bristles
Re: Costco - what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
I don't have a massive apartment, so I won't be buying tons of things in bulk, just wondering what people are finding the most useful.

I'm thinking mostly meats, some home supplies, and possibly appliances. I don't eat much processed food, but I have heard from my vegetarian friends that Costco is really good for avocados.

I live in 350 sq feet, don't have a chest freezer, and do nearly all of my grocery shopping at Costco. Killer deals include:

Almond butter ($6 for 750g WHAT)
Quinoa
Rice
Oatmeal
Canned tomatoes
Fancy lesbian health-cereal (read: Quaker Harvest Crunch, my favourite fancy lesbian health-cereal)
Beef and chicken broth
Some spices
Salsa
Hot sauce
Fresh and frozen veggies
Nuts and seeds
Whey protein (about $10/lb which is an excellent deal for a brick and mortar)
Eggs
Milk and other dairy (especially yogurt, 1500ml of greek yogurt for $9 WHAT)
Tuna
Felafels
Hummus
Taboule
Root vegetables (10lbs of carrots for $4 WHAT)
Bell peppers
Avocados
Gala Apples (which are the best apples)
Berries, especially frozen

I roll out of costco with like a cart full of protein and like thirty pounds of delicious vegetables and just curl my lip at the people stocking up on disgusting boxes of prepackaged frozen corn byproducts. Costco is awesome!

And that's just food. We also picked up our GPS at costco for about $150 less than a Best Buy or wherever, all of our tupperware which is awesome fancy glass shit, and photos that decorate our apartment which were printed for something like 6 cents or free because there was a promotion.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »

When I lived near a Costco (sadly, not now) I could pay for the Costco membership just based on coffee prices alone.  Yes, I tend to drink a lot of coffee.

Some stores actually roast the coffee in the store and it's still freaking fresh and warm when you buy it.  And it's my favorite coffee (next to Peets, but I ain't paying their prices!).

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »

Canned tomatoes
Beef and chicken broth
Some spices
Salsa
Hot sauce
Fresh and frozen veggies
Whey protein (about $10/lb which is an excellent deal for a brick and mortar)
Eggs
Tuna
Root vegetables (10lbs of carrots for $4 WHAT)
Bell peppers
Avocados
Gala Apples (which are the best apples)
Berries, especially frozen

I roll out of costco with like a cart full of protein and like thirty pounds of delicious vegetables and just curl my lip at the people stocking up on disgusting boxes of prepackaged frozen corn byproducts. Costco is awesome!

Those all sound good. I'm probably torn on veggies as I try to shop local and I live right next to one of the best farmer's markets in the country.

I can't break off from my egg guy for example. Best eggs in the city. His eggs are really cheap anyways though. ($7.50 for 30)

The whey and meat should be good. Also I've heard specifically good things about avocados, so I will check that. Otherwise I'll probably be doing toilet paper, Blendtech blender, things like that. Guess I'll just have to explore a little bit.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »
other things we used to buy:
dairy (milk/butter/sour cream/etc)
olive oil
blue jeans
tennis shoes
meat
beer/wine (but their prices were not stellar there... this may be a Texas anomaly as it was subcontracted out to another licensed seller)
jasmine rice

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »
Here's my Costco shopping list, keeping in mind that I'm married with 3 kids, 2 dogs, and a cat. I have a price book, so if it's on this list, I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else and, if it's perishable, we use enough of it that it won't go bad.

* Pencils and pens
* Flour tortillas
* Whole-wheat sandwich bread
* Beer and wine
* Organic hamburger and various other meats, frozen and not
* Cantaloupes
* Mandarin/cuties oranges
* 2L soda (unless its on sale somewhere else, because the price isn't that great)
* Frozen organic strawberries, broccoli, and mixed veg with soybeans
* Colby-Jack cheese blocks
* Shredded mozzarella
* Organic milk
* Organic eggs
* Butter
* Kirkland "House Blend" coffee - packaged by Starbucks
* Canned diced, crushed, and paste tomatoes
* Dried apricots or dates
* Tuna
* Olive oil and vinegar
* Lemon juice
* Spices
* Agave nectar, honey, maple syrup
* Ketchup and mustard
* Rolled Oats
* Pedigree dog food
* Ziploc freezer bags
* Giant rolls of plastic wrap
* Laundry detergent, powdered
* Dishwasher detergent, gel
* Granola bars, other packaged snacks, and candy, when I buy them, which is very rare
* Sometimes they have good deals on things that would make good gifts (toys, books, clothes, etc.)

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »
For me, I buy the following at Costco:
-Cat Litter
-Greek Yoghurt
-Ziplock Bags
-Garbage Bags
-Dishwasher Soap
-Laundry Soap
-Canned Tomatoes
-Splenda
-Canned Organic Tomato Sauce
-Pop
-Toilet Paper
-Pork Loins
-Pork Tenderloins
-Beef Stewing Meat
-Hamburger
-Chicken Breast

Most other things, I can get cheaper at Superstore, or Bulk Barn.

In Canada, the fruits and a lot of the vegetables aren't a good buy

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:10:12 PM »
I have liked all the Kirkland brand items I've bought--toilet paper, trash bags, allergy type medicines, etc.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:23:18 PM »
I get some of my meat there (most, probably)
canned tuna,
mac n cheese for the kiddos
romaine lettuce
occasionally bagels or sandwich rolls
butter,
milk
eggs
frozen fruit
agave
oils (olive, canola)
some spices
chocolate chips (baking)
coconut oil
guacamole (its a 5 pack of bags, which I can freeze and defrost one by one)
grape juice (paul newman low sugar)
orange juice, frozen
sometimes cheese
sometimes broccoli

a slip up there costs 10-15$ per item, so I cannot veer from my planned list, or I must sub for something else I planned to stay in budget. I have to stay away from the chocolates aisles. :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 01:24:29 AM »
CHEESE

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 02:41:35 AM »
slightly off topic but what the heck would you do with 30 lbs of veggies, wouldn't most of it go bad?

Mentioning this because MMM post a link from cracked of all places about poor money habits the poor have. And one of them was shopping once a month and buying things that lasted for a month, i.e. processed foods

Generally speaking I go 2-3 times a week to get fresh produce because it doesn't last

Second point is our local Costco is Makro great place to shop good prices but I usually end up with a higher total at the end of the monthly as this is usually extras that I buy, so really spending more even if somethings (such as milk dairy products and meat) are cheaper
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:47:04 AM by Captain and Mrs Slow »

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 03:25:33 AM »
slightly off topic but what the heck would you do with 30 lbs of veggies, wouldn't most of it go bad?

Mentioning this because MMM post a link from cracked of all places about poor money habits the poor have. And one of them was shopping once a month and buying things that lasted for a month, i.e. processed foods

Generally speaking I go 2-3 times a week to get fresh produce because it doesn't last

No, I eat many pounds of vegetables a day. I'm literally so full of kale and broccoli that the thought of eating something like a brownie is disgusting to me.

Also, I was exaggerating. I usually leave costco with a couple of kilos of broccoli, a ten pound bag of carrots, and a six pound bag of apples. The two of us go through that (20lbs?) of veggies in about two weeks.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 03:27:54 AM »
cook it
freeze it
buy frozen if reasonably priced (we get what must be at least 10# of frozen broccoli every trip. never goes bad)
can/preserve
some actually can take a month to go bad (roots mostly)
eat more vegetables

shopping for vegetables 2-3 times a week sounds ridiculous. Even the quick to go things take over a week to spoil in our fridge.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 04:56:42 AM »
cook it
freeze it
buy frozen if reasonably priced (we get what must be at least 10# of frozen broccoli every trip. never goes bad)
can/preserve
some actually can take a month to go bad (roots mostly)
eat more vegetables

shopping for vegetables 2-3 times a week sounds ridiculous. Even the quick to go things take over a week to spoil in our fridge.

We like to eat mostly fresh and raw vegetables. The only things I'd have to buy more than a couple of times a month are the most delicate of greens. Stuff like baby romaine and spinach goes bad pretty quickly, sometimes in just three or four days. Solution: Eat the heartier "adult" version of those things.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 06:50:31 AM »
There is a local fruit vendor in the village and I don't know why the quality of his stuff is way better than the large chains, so for example Strawberries are in season I was also thinking more of salad fixings typically they last a few days before going bad

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
I forgot to mention medications and men's razor blades, in the 18 packs that last my husband over a year per pack.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »
- Protein powder (probably the cheapest you can find it in Canada . . . short of doing a 25lb internet order)
- Flour (white, whole wheat) are very cheap, last forever, and get used surprisingly quickly when you're regularly making your own bread/muffins/english muffins/bagels/etc.
- Frozen fruit and berries (for instant smoothies, pancakes, and muffins)
- Big containers of minced garlic (about as cheap as buying fresh, and much more convenient to cook with)
- Carrots and onions last forever
- Giant bags of dried Chickpeas/Lentils (last forever, and we make hummus and cook with them)

I actually find that a lot of the fresh fruit is not that great a deal around at our costco (about the same price as our grocery store and in quantities we can't always finish off), but they had oranges on for under 9$ for 13 lbs all winter long . . . and they last forever in our cold storage.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
pro tip: eat well before grocery shopping at costco

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »

For me it was always "eat well while grocery shopping at costco."   Free samples everywhere!

chatsc

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »

[/quote]
No, I eat many pounds of vegetables a day. I'm literally so full of kale and broccoli that the thought of eating something like a brownie is disgusting to me.

[/quote]

haha, I was eating a (homemade) brownie while I read that.  it was not disgusting...

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »

haha, I was eating a (homemade) brownie while I read that.  it was not disgusting...

I was sick on Saturday, coming back from a college course I'm taking, so I bought a pre-packaged Oreo brownie (one of those disturbing corn and petroleum concoctions with suggestions of the flavour of chocolate) in a moment of extreme weakness. God, the mouthfeel was incredible, food science is very impressive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:23:07 PM by tuyop »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
so I bought a pre-packaged Oreo brownie (one of those disturbing corn and petroleum concoctions with suggestions of the flavour of chocolate)

Haha we always say at my house how velveeta is a distilled petroleum product, glad to hear other people have thought the same thing about such marvels of food science

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »
Costco deals that I like include:

- fancy fruit (Meyer lemons and champagne mangos in their respective seasons)
 - definitely the avocados
 - Perrier (which I buy instead of pop, I like having something fizzy to drink; and yes, it's fancy, I know)
 - buffalo-milk mozzarella
 - IQF wild-caught sockeye salmon filets
 - fresh spinach (the spinach in my grocery store tastes funny, so I always pick up a thing of spinach when I'm at Costco)
 - dog treats (the 3.5 pounds of jerky sticks are made in the USA and don't have weird ingredients)
 - dried mango and coconut (a tasty snack)
 - quinoa/rice
 - COFFEE
 - trash bags, Ziploc bags, toilet paper, paper towels

Costco is also a great place to get presents for people. I bought cashmere scarves from Costco for all the women in my husband's family last Christmas, which were very well-received. When the sister-in-law's birthday rolled around, we got her a case of sugar-free Red Bull, which she LOVED.

Yay Costco!

superheropunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • former credit addict
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »
Im not saying buying in bulk doesn't make sense for some things but sometimes you will start to devalue the items and end up using more than what you normally would or you bought a lot of stuff you end up not using but don't want to get rid of it becuase you purchased it.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »
Im not saying buying in bulk doesn't make sense for some things but sometimes you will start to devalue the items and end up using more than what you normally would or you bought a lot of stuff you end up not using but don't want to get rid of it becuase you purchased it.

This is a good point as well (I think), only buy things that you need and consume normally. And don't get fat and eat forty-five rice crispy squares just because they were 13.2 cents each!

For instance, we noticed last week that tomatoes were a really good deal at costco. They were fancy vine tomatoes too, so we bought a couple of pounds of them.

But we just don't eat that many tomatoes, so about a third of them went bad. This is exactly how much we saved on the deal, so it's not horrible, but I really really hate wasting food.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »
- Perrier (which I buy instead of pop, I like having something fizzy to drink; and yes, it's fancy, I know)

I'm a fizzy water junkie.  (Years ago I was a CocaCola junkie.  This is my methadone.)  If you drink much of it, get you a Sodastream and hack it to use a CO2 bottle from your local welding supply store.  It's a bit of an initial investment, but it pays back if you drink enough of it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »

This is a good point as well (I think), only buy things that you need and consume normally. And don't get fat and eat forty-five rice crispy squares just because they were 13.2 cents each!

For instance, we noticed last week that tomatoes were a really good deal at costco. They were fancy vine tomatoes too, so we bought a couple of pounds of them.

But we just don't eat that many tomatoes, so about a third of them went bad. This is exactly how much we saved on the deal, so it's not horrible, but I really really hate wasting food.
This.  24 oranges sounded like a good idea at the time...

BlueBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:15 PM »

I'm a fizzy water junkie.  (Years ago I was a CocaCola junkie.  This is my methadone.)  If you drink much of it, get you a Sodastream and hack it to use a CO2 bottle from your local welding supply store.  It's a bit of an initial investment, but it pays back if you drink enough of it.

Do you have any more details on this?  We use a soda stream to just make carbonated water right now, however we still just by the refills from BBY with the 20% coupon.  Where do you get food grade co2?  What kind of connections did you use, where did you buy them?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »

Do you have any more details on this?  We use a soda stream to just make carbonated water right now, however we still just by the refills from BBY with the 20% coupon.  Where do you get food grade co2?  What kind of connections did you use, where did you buy them?

I got the connector here: http://co2doctor.com/.  Its a little pricey.  I know.  But it pays for itself eventually.

Welding supply stores normally have CO2 they supply to drink vendors.  I bought a 15lb tank and the gauge hasn't moved off of full in over 6 months of use.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
Back to the original question, I buy parmesan (which I eat a lot of), almonds, organic olive oil, kalamata olives, and sometimes flour. And I just bought a pair of un-stylish but fairly rugged-seeming jeans.
Costco only really makes sense for me when I live in Newfoundland, where the only real competition is chain monopoly stores like Dominion. When I'm in Toronto and have access to big cheap Asian supermarkets, it doesn't make sense to keep a Costco membership just for the parm.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
This is one of the reasons I'm getting a chest freezer.

Big shop then big cook then big freeze.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 04:19:22 PM »
My Costco list:

Frozen organic blueberries
Frozen Wild Sockeye Salmon
Almonds
Canned organic tomato sauce
Canned organic garbanzo beans
AVOCADOS!  OM NOM NOM!
Cutie oranges
Toilet paper
Coffee
Olive oil & Coconut oil
Bleach
Baking soda (for cleaning)
White vinegar (for cleaning)
Canned tuna

I don't get all of that every time.  I usually spend $150 once per quarter and get some combination of the above.  I always get Avocados though. 

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
Oh yeah, we got wiper blades today, at $8/each.  And frozen fruit. 

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »
We purchase several food staples at Costco, but end up buying quite a few at WinCo, too--Costco isn't cheaper for everything.

Costco is great for the "bulk" type clothing purchases.  I buy most of my clothes (and kids' clothes) at thrift stores.  Costco is great for the things i don't buy at thrift stores--socks, underwear, swimsuits.  I love their K Bell socks, both wool and cotton. 

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 08:25:21 AM »
We purchase several food staples at Costco, but end up buying quite a few at WinCo, too--Costco isn't cheaper for everything.

Costco is great for the "bulk" type clothing purchases.  I buy most of my clothes (and kids' clothes) at thrift stores.  Costco is great for the things i don't buy at thrift stores--socks, underwear, swimsuits.  I love their K Bell socks, both wool and cotton.

I'm pretty jaded after my partner bought some "merino wool" long underwear for winter runs. They were only like 30 bucks each, but were also approximately 1.7% merino wool, the rest being cheap synthetic crap.

Clothing is one of those things that I like to buy once every two or three years, spending a ton of money on stuff that is quality and good enough to take care of and really baby for the next couple of years.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »
Re: buying stuff that you won't then eat--meal planning and shopping less frequently can really help with this!  We do a monthly meal plan and I then go grocery shopping every 2 weeks.  It is super inconvenient to grocery shop in between, so if we don't have something we "want", we make do with what we have, which means...we very rarely throw out things that go bad.  If we aren't eating something fast enough, it gets incorporated into a meal that can be frozen, but more often it's like "okay, that broccoli has about 2 days left, better have that as our dinner vegetable tonight".  Since we switched to this way of doing things, food prep/acquisition is much less stressful for me and we are definitely saving money simply by reducing waste.

For the record, we do eat a lot of fresh produce, even at the end of our 2 weeks.  Things like cabbage, onions and carrots will all easily keep for 2 weeks or more, broccoli is typically good for more than a week, etc.  I do our shopping on a Friday and for the weekend/first few weekdays after that we are eating tons of more "delicate" produce like bell peppers, zucchini, snow peas, then we transition over to the sturdier vegetables.

As for what I buy at costco:

-black beans
-oatmeal
-canned tomatoes
-cheese
-carrots
-olive oil
-sunscreen
-toilet paper
-nuts
-dried fruit
-frozen fruit
-avocados
-garlic
-onions
-sweet potatoes
-celery
-nut butters
-eggs
-butter

We are 2 people in a 600 square foot studio, eating a mostly vegetarian diet.  You definitely don't need to have a separate freezer!

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »

I'm pretty jaded after my partner bought some "merino wool" long underwear for winter runs. They were only like 30 bucks each, but were also approximately 1.7% merino wool, the rest being cheap synthetic crap.

Clothing is one of those things that I like to buy once every two or three years, spending a ton of money on stuff that is quality and good enough to take care of and really baby for the next couple of years.

I haven't had any problems, although I haven't purchased anything fancier than underwear (as in the bikinis and briefs kind).  The wool socks are 100% wool, and I have a few pair that have lasted me three winters now.  I buy the kids' swimsuits there--they usually have Speedos for $12 or so. 

I do read the labels on everything--I don't buy synthetics for clothing, except the swimsuits :).

As an aside, I don't think you have to spend a ton of money on clothes for them to be quality.  My winter wardrobe consists almost completely of cashmere sweaters, most of which I picked up for under $6 at thrift stores, and pants that I paid $3-6 for (also at thrift stores). 

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 05:20:25 AM »

For me it was always "eat well while grocery shopping at costco."   Free samples everywhere!

Indeed. I work very close to Costco in my town and sometimes go there for my morning or afternoon snack from all the free taste tests and not buy a thing! Gotta get my money's worth from the membership fee.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 09:48:46 AM »
Fancy lesbian health-cereal (read: Quaker Harvest Crunch, my favourite fancy lesbian health-cereal)

What is lesbian health cereal?

In regards to buying fruit and vegetables at Costco, I find them expensive. Not as much as the typical grocery stores, but way more expensive than my 99 cent store. At the 99 cent store they have 10 pound bags of potatoes, avocados, bananas and lots of other items for $1.

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
Unit price vs. quality.  We do most of our shopping at Aldi's, which is one of those bag your own stuff places.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »

In regards to buying fruit and vegetables at Costco, I find them expensive. Not as much as the typical grocery stores, but way more expensive than my 99 cent store. At the 99 cent store they have 10 pound bags of potatoes, avocados, bananas and lots of other items for $1.

I live next to one of the best farmer's markets in the country, so it'll probably be not as much fruit / veg. Mostly other stuff. Need a freezer so maybe that as well.

chatsc

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 10:40:39 AM »
I went to costco today and went way over my budget.  I think maybe my initial budget was too small.  I used to go once a month but now i try to avoid it as much as possible, so I go once every 3m or so.  I also got things that I hadnt planned on... like a huge can of tomatoes, to make a XL batch of pasta sauce.  Normally, I just buy the small cans every week. 

I did splurge on a fancy rice/quinoa mix.  and I bought the pre-made hummous.  You gotta treat yo'self every once in awhile....

I find the price of things has gone up.  Dried cranberries, raisins, bread used to be cheaper. 

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »

Cereal that you'd find in the cupboards of lesbians. Stuff like mueslix, raisin bran, granola of all types. I lived with a married lesbian couple a couple of years ago and they professed their love of foods that kept them regular. Ever since I've called it lesbian health cereal, I also find it to be ultimately delicious.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!