Author Topic: Costco tires/savings  (Read 15659 times)

MountainTown

• Bristles
Costco tires/savings
« on: September 30, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
I am looking into buying 2013 Nissan Rogue tires for the winter. The reason for this is I had some terrible days in the -10 -20's where the all seasons just didn't cut it even though I have AWD. And no I'm probably not staying home those days because that's when the ski conditions are ripe. My understanding is that all seasons with AWD handle well but when the temperatures really drop the rubber composition becomes a problem. Winter tires are able to remain soft and cushy(to grip better) in lower temps while the all seasons tend to harden up like rock and become less grippy.

My local tire shop quoted me around $700 to $900 for various winter tires and studded. I am looking at some blizzaks from cost co and the total cost is only $560. Anyone have any experience with costco on this kind of thing? Seems to me they are able to offer way more competitive prices. How is the service there? I noticed that costco has the same lifetime flat repair, inflation checks, lifetime rotations, etc...so I was pleased to see that. It's not as convenient in terms of driving distance so that is the major downside for me personally.

Any help is appreciated. I would also appreciate hearing people's experience on winter tires vs studded. I am becoming less of a believer in studded....

Mrs.Piano

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Costco tires/savings
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
I have my winter tires from Costco. Very satisfied with the tires, can also go to any costco for slight refills, check-ups, etc. They change from the summer to the winter at low cost as long as the winters came from them. Was disappointed earlier this mont that I had to buy new summer tires in a hurry and Costco had only winter tires in already, so I had to buy at Canadian tire, whinck tried to upsell me repeatedly and was less satisfying of an experience.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »
Studded tires are only for ice.

Before buying tires from anywhere, check TireRack(.com).
Huge tire selection, but they make it easy.  Put in your vehicle and type tires wanted.  Then go to the reviews or sort by price.
They partner with many tire sellers / installers - and show you the price of each.  They ship the tires directly to the installer you select.
The only thing I don't like about them; after the purchase, they don't notify you until the installer has the tires.  Then you have to make an appt. with the installer.   

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 04:33:29 AM »
I second what the above poster said.

Additionally, here in Vermont I see more Subarus in ditches than any other make. There seems to be some belief that AWD is any kind of substitute for winter tires, when it's really not. Wholly and completely not. Consider this - AWD lets you get moving in worse conditions than a FWD or RWD vehicle, but you don't have any more traction or braking power. Every car has 4 wheel braking and 4 wheel traction when cornering, and AWD doesn't help with these one bit. You're just more likely to actually get out of your driveway in conditions where you really shouldn't be driving, especially without winter tires.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »
I know nothing about winter tires, but we have gotten our last two rounds of tires from Costco. You get a better tire for a lower price from Costco than anywhere else, at least in our area, and we shopped around a fair bit.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
I know nothing about winter tires, but we have gotten our last two rounds of tires from Costco. You get a better tire for a lower price from Costco than anywhere else, at least in our area, and we shopped around a fair bit.

Around here, you get the same tire and the same service from Firestone. Firestone provides the tires to Costco and is glad to get your money, rather than their share as a middle.man.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
Some Costco's let you make appointments for tire work others dont. The ones close to us don't take appointments and they are usually really backed up. 2-4 hour wait isn't uncommon for new tires or rotations. If you can drop off the car and come back later it works out. Twice they discontinued the tires I had, so when it came time for replacement the warranty was useless. I go to Discount Tire now cause its close to my house and I can schedule work so I am done in 30 minutes.

justwantFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
I just picked up 2 new sets of 4 tires each from Costco and I would definitely recommend them. Prices can't be beat, plus the convenience is huge, takes an hour to do the work if you set up your appointment earlier, the hour is easily spent inside doing your standard Costco shopping, easy peasy. Also, they provide a bunch of free maintenance which are walk-in style, and you can take care of them when you go back to Costco for your regular shopping.

jjcamembert

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 04:10:53 PM »
I've had the Blizzaks and have been satisfied with them.

Costco is usually the best price, but depending where you live / how busy it is service varies. In the Colorado foothills Costco gets slammed because everyone's changing tires at the same time. I tried buying from Costco then installing elsewhere, but if you don't let them install it the warranty doesn't apply. Then if you're switching seasonally, there's some special rules about the summer tires also have to be from them if you're going to get the discounted service fee. Possibly due to the high volume, the quality of service in my experience hasn't been great either: They've given me the wrong tires, installed one poorly, etc.

Overall I like the purchase price but hate the service (location may vary). I buy once but then swap and get an oil change at the dealer.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »

Around here, you get the same tire and the same service from Firestone. Firestone provides the tires to Costco and is glad to get your money, rather than their share as a middle.man.

The last time we bought tires at Costco they had $100 off if you used a Costco credit card (which we have for the gas kickback), so it was definitely cheaper than anywhere else we priced out. My husband actually did the cost-comparison the last time around and I don't remember what the tire brand was.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 07:26:05 AM »
Costco has great tire prices, but look at speed ratings to ensure that the tires are right for your car.  We had them recommend a tire that was the right size, but was the wrong tire for the car.  I don't recall exactly, but something with the speed rating.  It wasn't unsafe, but it was a loud and rough ride and possibly prematurely shot the shocks and struts.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »
I always use winter tires on all our cars in the winter.  I do not use studs and would recommend that unless you're on icy and gravel roads all winter, don't get them.  When it's not icy or packed snow, studs can make your tires into railroad train steel wheels.  Ever see a film where a train slams on the brakes and the thing skids for 2 miles.  Something like that happened to me with studded tires where a truck suddenly pulled out of a side road in front of me.  Fortunately, he flew out of the way because I just skidded (with ABS) forever.  I got home and pulled all the studs out.

Costco can have good prices.  From what I hear from friends, expect to wait for about 10 hours at the store for them to do the install.  Personally, I order tires on new wheels from Tire Rack.  I get home and there's a pile in front of my garage.  45 minutes later, they're on my car.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 08:21:14 AM »
Having lived in Maine, I think winter tires are a good idea. Do not get studs. Spending the extra money to get the tires mounted on rims can be time and cost saving on the long run.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
Costco has a good price on winter tires.  You want to get them very early though.  I tried getting some winter tires last November and was told that there was a three month waiting period, and that they had to install the tires - they couldn't just mount them on rims and let me install them myself.  I ended up getting tires somewhere else.  :P

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!