Author Topic: Costco: Mustachian or not?  (Read 38272 times)

maco

• Bristles
Re: Costco: Mustachian or not?
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »
Folks - we're foaming.

I don't understand what this means? And I was just doing some good natured trolling, hence the winky face. No harm/offense meant. Sorry if my tone wasn't clear.
It's this forum's slang for rabbit-holeing or going off on a tangent / off-topic.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2015, 02:50:58 PM »
Costco is going to have a sale on kerrygold butter before thanksgiving.  It's not super mustacian but I think it's healthier for being grass fed and will stock up

Nice tip! I'd still use regular American butter for baking and whatnot, but fancy butter would be good for things like topping toast and baked potatoes.

(Of course, that just reinforces my point that Costco is not Mustachian: at grocery store prices, I'd never be tempted to buy Kerrygold in the first place.)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Costco is going to have a sale on kerrygold butter before thanksgiving.  It's not super mustacian but I think it's healthier for being grass fed and will stock up

Nice tip! I'd still use regular American butter for baking and whatnot, but fancy butter would be good for things like topping toast and baked potatoes.

(Of course, that just reinforces my point that Costco is not Mustachian: at grocery store prices, I'd never be tempted to buy Kerrygold in the first place.)

Neither is drinking...oh, wait!  ;)

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2015, 07:05:33 AM »
My husband and I enjoyed going to Costco for a while, but they have a lot of things we just wanted to try, and that's a really spendy way to 'try' things.  Also, they don't always have the same brands of things, and now the only things we buy that are cheaper than other places are trash bags, plastic forks and spoons, butter.

We don't pay for the membership, we're on his mom's membership, and this weekend we considered just ordering from there online - and they don't have everything online anyway, and to get free shipping you have to buy $200 worth.  We instead checked out Dollar General and wow, ACTUALLY cheaper on a lot of things, as they have a neat little grocery section.  I think we might be 'done and done' with Costco.  I think its probably better for businesses/restaurants anyway. 

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
My husband and I enjoyed going to Costco for a while, but they have a lot of things we just wanted to try, and that's a really spendy way to 'try' things.  Also, they don't always have the same brands of things, and now the only things we buy that are cheaper than other places are trash bags, plastic forks and spoons, butter.

We don't pay for the membership, we're on his mom's membership, and this weekend we considered just ordering from there online - and they don't have everything online anyway, and to get free shipping you have to buy $200 worth.  We instead checked out Dollar General and wow, ACTUALLY cheaper on a lot of things, as they have a neat little grocery section.  I think we might be 'done and done' with Costco.  I think its probably better for businesses/restaurants anyway.

Their on-line prices are often a lot worse than their in-store prices, for whatever reason.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »

Ugh, figures, so many scams out there.

Their on-line prices are often a lot worse than their in-store prices, for whatever reason.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2015, 12:08:29 PM »
Cheeeeeeeese. I'm a girl on a budget. Damn they have cheap cheese.

In my experience, even cheap cheese costs more per pound than just about anything else eaten in large quantities except for beef and fresh fish. Eat less of it.

Sure, but it is great for SEASONING cheap foods. Bread. Pizza dough. Beans. Yes, I understand how a grocery budget works :-). We're a family of 4 people and my menfolk (ages 3-35) all have the metabolisms of hummingbirds.

I buy 3 different kinds of cheese at Costco (cheddar, American, mozzarella) and each 5 pound package lasts for several months. I divide up the packages and freeze in usefully-sized portions.

We came in at about $550 on groceries for the four of us for October, and that's even though I do not separate out household goods and doodads like toothpaste, dishwashing gloves, shower caps, etc. Although the boys get free breakfast at school, so that helps.

You can freeze cheese?

You can freeze cheese?

You can freeze cheese???!!!

Life changer.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »

In my experience, even cheap cheese costs more per pound than just about anything else eaten in large quantities except for beef and fresh fish. Eat less of it.

Sure, but it is great for SEASONING cheap foods. Bread. Pizza dough. Beans. Yes, I understand how a grocery budget works :-). We're a family of 4 people and my menfolk (ages 3-35) all have the metabolisms of hummingbirds.

I buy 3 different kinds of cheese at Costco (cheddar, American, mozzarella) and each 5 pound package lasts for several months. I divide up the packages and freeze in usefully-sized portions.

We came in at about $550 on groceries for the four of us for October, and that's even though I do not separate out household goods and doodads like toothpaste, dishwashing gloves, shower caps, etc. Although the boys get free breakfast at school, so that helps.

You can freeze cheese?

You can freeze cheese?

Life changer.

Hard cheeses freeze really well. I take those Costco cheese loaves home and immediately divvy them up into half pound portions, plastic wrap and freeze.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »

You can freeze cheese?

You can freeze cheese?

Life changer.

Hard cheeses freeze really well. I take those Costco cheese loaves home and immediately divvy them up into half pound portions, plastic wrap and freeze.

Also shredded cheese (either in ziplock baggies in the quantity you usually use, or on top of something that's gonna go straight into the oven - pizza, lasagna, etc). If you're not going to melt it, sometimes the texture can go funky, and soft cheeses don't tend to freeze well, but otherwise, it's a great way to save $ on cheese.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »
hmm,  my frozen cheese does go a bit grainy or crumbly, especially if it is the "value" priced cheese.   The nice thing about cheese is that a vacuum packed cheese, sealed, at the back of a very cold (almost freezing) fridge will keep for months.

If I want to freeze cheese, then I tend to precut it or better yet,shred it.  The crumbly nature does not matter then.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
hmm,  my frozen cheese does go a bit grainy or crumbly, especially if it is the "value" priced cheese.   The nice thing about cheese is that a vacuum packed cheese, sealed, at the back of a very cold (almost freezing) fridge will keep for months.

If I want to freeze cheese, then I tend to precut it or better yet,shred it.  The crumbly nature does not matter then.

Would something like parmesan or aged cheddar freeze okay without being shredded, since it's already supposed to be somewhat crumbly?

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2015, 09:21:52 AM »

Would something like parmesan or aged cheddar freeze okay without being shredded, since it's already supposed to be somewhat crumbly?

Parmesan keeps so long in the fridge I've never bothered freezing out, but Dubliner, which is a rather grainy Irish cheddar freezes well. It's slightly more crumbly, but still very workable for cheese crackers or whatever. And halloumi freezes really well, no difference at all. Ditto those six pound Costco mozzarella loaves.

bobertsen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
There are a few items at Costco for which I'd be hard pressed to find a good substitute at a reasonable price. Primarily the toilet paper and paper towels. I could shift my family away from paper towel toward rags and dish cloths, but then I'd be constantly fishing them out of the trash when my toddlers mistakenly throw them out, as I've had to do recently for a few cups and bowls. Toilet paper is the ultimate kicker. I've yet to meet any other brand that gives me comparable ass cleanliness per dollar.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
There are a few items at Costco for which I'd be hard pressed to find a good substitute at a reasonable price. Primarily the toilet paper and paper towels. I could shift my family away from paper towel toward rags and dish cloths, but then I'd be constantly fishing them out of the trash when my toddlers mistakenly throw them out, as I've had to do recently for a few cups and bowls. Toilet paper is the ultimate kicker. I've yet to meet any other brand that gives me comparable ass cleanliness per dollar.

What is the texture like? I want to try it, but I'm hesitant to buy into such a large pack. We had a bad TP experience once, and if I do it again I think there will be mutiny =\ also maybe hemorrhoids haha.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
I had a chance to visit Costco yesterday for the first time in years.  Was able to read Donald Trump's book while standing there in the book section.  Made a meal out of the samples.  Escaped unscathed.   

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2015, 04:48:16 AM »
I had a chance to visit Costco yesterday for the first time in years.  Was able to read Donald Trump's book while standing there in the book section.  Made a meal out of the samples.  Escaped unscathed.   

LOL  Nice.