Author Topic: Cost to move outlets to a different breaker?  (Read 8490 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Cost to move outlets to a different breaker?
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »
Most of the outlets in the third of the house I spend the most time in are on a single circuit breaker.
If I turn on my A/V receiver to enjoy the sound of what I'm watching on TV, the microwave will trip the breaker if on for about half a minute.
I've learned to live with it, but I'd like to turn down my thermostat and have a space heater in the living room.

I'd like to have some of the outlets moved to a different breaker.  There are breakers with very few lights and/or outlets on them.
What can I expect this to cost?   And is there a term or phrase I should use when asking for this to be done?

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cost to move outlets to a different breaker?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
You probably need to interview some recommended electricians to answer your question.  Maybe through a friend you can find one who does "side jobs".  Worst case, you can look on "Angies list".  "Shooting from the hip", I can tell you "it ain't gonna be cheap...".

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
Creating a new circuit means running a new wire from the box to those outlets, which means pulling wire through the walls. If you have a crawl space or attic, it becomes easier since you can feed up or down.

As most breakers are only allowed 1 wire, it's best to add a new one if your box can handle it.

You probably want to ask an electrician if you don't know what you're doing.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:24:33 PM »
This is probably not a trivial thing. You'll either need to install a brand new circuit (assuming your breaker box has room for another) and run wire all the way from the breaker box to the outlets, or you'll need to find some nearby outlets on a different circuit that isn't as overloaded, and run wire from there to the outlets you want to switch. Either way you'll probably need to make some holes in the wall and patch them up. Also it sounds like you might not be knowledgeable about this stuff to DIY, and electricians can be pricey.

One idea: if I recall correctly, current code requires two different circuits for outlets in the kitchen. Also if I recall correctly, it requires the kitchen circuits not be shared with other rooms, so you may not be up to recent code anyway. Check whether it's possible to plug your microwave into an outlet on a different circuit.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »
I dont think the materials will be "expensive" but the electrician will be.  The accountant I work with redid most of his house himself  so it can be done but it is not trivial.  Also I think adding a circuit requires an electrician to inspect your DIY work.

Maybe you can move your stereo amp to a different room then run the speaker wires to where you sit? :-)

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
probably about $200. you can do it yourself if you've got good access to the walls or the power runs through easily accessible crawlspaces or attic. otherwise, ask around at the electrical parts distributor store and try to find an apprentice who has some time to work off the books or on weekends. you can probably pay them $35-$45 an hour plus materials and they'll be excited.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
Ya it's nearly impossible to estimate the cost because we don't know the layout of your house. Running a new circuit requires making holes in the walls or ceiling to run the wires. Depending on layout, that could be easy (i.e. can run through the attic with minimal drilling required), or it could be incredibly difficult (i.e. having to drill through multiple joists in cramped spaces)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »
probably about $200. you can do it yourself if you've got good access to the walls or the power runs through easily accessible crawlspaces or attic. otherwise, ask around at the electrical parts distributor store and try to find an apprentice who has some time to work off the books or on weekends. you can probably pay them $35-$45 an hour plus materials and they'll be excited.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/electrical-dryer-tripping-breaker/

Read the above thread.   I'd suggest using licensed folks, not apprentices and handymen looking for side work.

I'd do it myself with a Google education long before I let anyone not a licensed and respected electrician do it. 

The job difficulty depends on access, if your breaker has room, and distance from your breaker.