Author Topic: Cost effective way to get a website for business ?  (Read 3911 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Cost effective way to get a website for business ?
« on: September 27, 2015, 09:42:36 PM »
There are some pretty sharp people on here. Whats the most cost effective way to establish a website for the business I'm launching? I'm launching a small repair business, so I don't need anything too fancy. 

mickeyj

• Stubble
Re: Cost effective way to get a website for business ?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 10:32:15 PM »
I'd definitely get a decently priced webhost, register a domain name (with a coupon for discounts) and use Wordpress (opensource platform) to build the website.

Then I'll invest in a nice template to make the website look nice and professional.

Done!

EvenKeeled

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
Wordpress is free (a bunch of files you install), but can be a bit of a chore to keep up to date. And if you end up using a bunch of plug-ins, some of them might stop being updated.

Another option is Squarespace. They charge you every month ($8/mo if you pay for a year at a time, I think), but they keep everything up to date and working smoothly. I'm using it myself, though not for a business website. Check it out and see if it's worth the money to skip the headaches.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
I appreciate the responses.  Im surprised I didn't get more responses. With all the software gurus on here lol.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
I appreciate the responses.  Im surprised I didn't get more responses. With all the software gurus on here lol.

That's the cost effective way, even a programmer can install software to save time and money.

If you want a less cost effective way you could hire a designer to make you one from scratch.

For a small starter business, a single page design with your services, location, and contact information is all you need. Squarespace could be perfect if you don't want to handle hosting/installing things yourself.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »
Yeah thats all I need. Just a basic single page with some contact info and service offered.  Id also like to be able to update a word here and there without having to call someone if possible.  Not selling anything, not processing any payments. Just some business hours and contact info and services offered.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
Wordpress with a custom photography-specific theme is what my girlfriend uses for her (fairly simple) photography site.  Didn't take too long to set up, and it looks like what you're wanting to do is even simpler.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »
If your adventurous and get your own hosting, bootstrap could be perfect for a simple single page design. Pick of of the layout templates, change the text and your done.

http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
Now for someone who knows,   does a good template still load correctly on mobile devices? 

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
Now for someone who knows,   does a good template still load correctly on mobile devices?

The key to that is looking for 'responsive' themes/templates... they are designed to work with multiple devices and screen resolutions by changing the CSS (styling rules) for the viewport and determining widths etc. Eg... 2 side by side boxes on a page in your desktop browser, but on your phone the one on the right is now below the left one.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:52:38 PM by BackyarBQ »

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »

I'd recommend squarespace.  You might be able to get Wordpress to work for you for "free" (you still have to pay for hosting, probably $5/mo at least), but squarespace would probably be worth the extra $5 a month.  Plus, if you have a favorite podcast, I'm sure there is a squarespace coupon code for it; they're always advertising on podcasts.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!