Author Topic: Cost effective warm clothes?  (Read 10637 times)

Baylor3217

• Bristles
Cost effective warm clothes?
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Im going to be at and all day football event with temps in the 30s, 10-15 mph winds, possible snow and wind chill in the teens. What suggestions do you have?

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
Re: Cost effective warm clothes?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
Long underwear.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
Layers, layers, layers.  You probably have everything you need to keep warm already.  Your top requirement is going to be cutting that wind.  My go to is

Hat
Scarf on face
Gloves
Corduroy jacket
Sweater
Long sleeve
Tucked in camisole

And on the bottom

Jeans
Athletic/yoga pants that fit under jeans
Tall socks
Leather shoes

The leather shoes are important.  Sneakers breathe too much, so your feet will be really cold.  Some sort of boot or even office shoes are more appropriate.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
Living in Minnesota, we have a box of these right by the door....

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Hotties-Hand-Warmer-Pack/dp/B000JJP0UM

One in each boot and one in each glove or mitten makes a huge difference. Skol!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »
I second the layers layers layers suggestion.  You want to look like Randy in A Christmas Story.  You can put your arms down after the game. 

Also, don't forget your flask.  Whiskey, it's like a sweater that you wear on the inside.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:27:49 PM by Eric »

Bruised_Pepper

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
Whiskey, it's like a sweater that you wear on the inside.

I'm not a whiskey drinker, but if there's a brand that uses this as the slogan, I'll buy a bottle.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »
Living in Minnesota, we have a box of these right by the door....

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Hotties-Hand-Warmer-Pack/dp/B000JJP0UM

One in each boot and one in each glove or mitten makes a huge difference. Skol!
I second the hand warmers!  The little packets have saved me in the past.  I prefer to wear mittens because it's easier to use a hand warmer. 

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »
ski pants or jeans?  I'm thinking to go with the ski pants.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
ski pants or jeans?  I'm thinking to go with the ski pants.
Definitely ski pants!  You'll be happy when you sit down on the metal bleachers. 

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »
Second the layers, with a few modifications.

Since it's likely to be windy, you need something on the outside to cut the wind: windbreaker, Goretex coat, etc.

Fleece is really good under that.

You need a good fuzzy hat for your head.  IMHO TurtleFur brand is about the best.

Leather shoes only if you don't have a good pair of hiking/outdoor boots that you can wear with 2 pairs of socks - one normal, one heavy wool or synthetic, e.g. Thorlo.

FORGET THE WHISKEY or anything alcoholic.  It may make you feel warmer, temporarily, but it does so by dialating the blood vessels in the skin.  More blood flow near the surface lowers your core temperature, and makes you colder in the long run.

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »
Ski pants!! I totally agree!!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »
FORGET THE WHISKEY

Oh, James!  You're no fun.  It's a football game!!

jpap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »
I take pride in being the only completely comfortable person at every cold track meet.  Here is what I wear:
Bottom -
running tights
fleece pants on top of these
wind/rain pants

Top -
Under Armour cold gear shirt (no, I didn't buy it myself - my job bought it)
Fleece
Hoodie
Hat that covers entire head and neck
Land's End parka rated to -40 degrees

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »
Balaclava under the hat. Buffs are awesome as well, especially the merino ones.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 09:16:15 PM »
FORGET THE WHISKEY

Oh, James!  You're no fun.  It's a football game!!

Well, OK, I guess maybe drinking plenty of whiskey is the best way to endure a football game :-)  But for general cold-weather stuff, the advice stands.  Save the booze until you get home or someplace warm.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:42:41 PM by Jamesqf »

Milehimama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Milehimama
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
Don't forget your feet- you cannot be warm if your feet are cold.  Wool socks or at least not cotton socks!  If your hands are warm you'll feel warmer, too. 

Onomatopoeia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »
I came here wanting to post a similar question, with a twist! I usually manage to survive winter with a peacoat, but that was before I started living in the city and walking more in the cold. I may also want to keep up running outside through the winter.

• Are there any must have products that will keep my head warm without completely messing up my long/straight/static-prone hair?
  • I want to get a longer, warm coat like this: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-39-s-metropolis-parka.html If I was in my final form I'd buy a high quality, expensive coat. I hope to lose another 30-40 pounds by next winter, so I don't want to make a big investment. Any ideas?
  • Whenever I do bundle up, I have a hard time dressing correctly. I might start out warm and then get hot and sticky, or start warm and get cold. This is my least favorite part about winter! I know you're supposed to layer up, but what do you do with layers you peel off as you're walking around?

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »
I know you're supposed to layer up, but what do you do with layers you peel off as you're walking around?

You put them in your backpack.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 12:19:17 AM »
Wool socks.

+1.

I'm good to go almost anywhere if I have excellent (read: wool or other intentionally insulating) socks and a wool hat. I let my kid run around in relatively little, but am a stickler for these on him. He's always comfy while other kids in expensive puffy ski coats and fancy boots are shivering. Some of his clothes are old, worn, too short, etc (because, let's face it, he just plays and plays in them), and almost every single item was originally picked up second hand. But I spent almost $20 on the sole pair of socks he'll use for the next several winters.

Wool is nice because it keeps you cool in heat and warm in cold, breathes well, is non-stinky, and dries quickly. (Don't stick it in the dryer, though. Hang or flat.)

Fleece is also great -and the thrift shops have lots of it. I think people get rid of it when it pills or something, but it still works great. Again, lightweight, comfy, fast drying, etc. (And my kid's worst pair of pants -the ones that are scruffy and old and worn out and way shorter than his legs- will soon be replaced with a second or first hand pair of fleece pants.)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
•I want to get a longer, warm coat like this: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-39-s-metropolis-parka.html If I was in my final form I'd buy a high quality, expensive coat. I hope to lose another 30-40 pounds by next winter, so I don't want to make a big investment. Any ideas?

Lands End Down Chalet Coat or Down Maxi Coat, but wait until they have 30% or 40% off sales and free shipping (they have them regularly, just check the website regularly or sign up for their e-mail notifications).  I bought a Chalet Coat two winters ago and I am very much looking forward to wearing it again this winter.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
  • Whenever I do bundle up, I have a hard time dressing correctly. I might start out warm and then get hot and sticky, or start warm and get cold. This is my least favorite part about winter! I know you're supposed to layer up, but what do you do with layers you peel off as you're walking around?
It can be really tough to dress for the weather spot-on, and I usually get it wrong too. Taking off or adding extra layers is only absolutely necessary if your activity level changes, otherwise it is theoretically possible to dial it in spot-on.

Start by looking at the weather. Make sure you're considering air temperature, sunny vs cloudy vs dark, and wind. Then think about your activity level: are you going to be running, biking, hiking on hilly terrain, walking around nonstop, wandering slowly around an area (zoo, botanical garden, sculpture garden), or sitting still? That list is roughly ordered from maximum metabolic output to minimum, and the difference in how much clothing you need changes significantly at each step. Remember that if you're dressing to go biking in the cold or some other intense activity, when you walk outside it should feel slightly uncomfortably cold, then you will warm up a lot. It seems like some people's metabolisms make this a harder task than for others.

One way to improve is to keep a log each day. What was the weather like, what was the activity, and what did you wear? Were you too hot, too cold, or just right? The recordkeeping may help you get a handle on how each of these many variables need to affect your decisions.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »
Planning on picking up the gf some long underwear/tights for winter in New England - any recommendations?  Lady staches' comparison between the two would be helpful.  Specific cost effective examples would be also be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Chops

PS:  Guess I can't join the "buy no clothing" competition for 2014 though...at least it's a mustachian clothing investment as opposed to the other kind (as Mike has noticed in his recent Lacking Ambition entry):

http://lackingambition.com/?m=201312

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »
Planning on picking up the gf some long underwear/tights for winter in New England - any recommendations?  Lady staches' comparison between the two would be helpful.  Specific cost effective examples would be also be appreciated!

This Lady stache gives you this piece of advice: women's long underwear/tights need to be fairly tight, especially if she wears form fitting jeans.  What *I* like to do is wear cotton exercise pants under my jeans (MUCH more comfortable than tights, and just as warm), but for colder climates, you may want to go the long underwear route. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 09:19:29 PM »

This Lady stache gives you this piece of advice: women's long underwear/tights need to be fairly tight, especially if she wears form fitting jeans.  What *I* like to do is wear cotton exercise pants under my jeans (MUCH more comfortable than tights, and just as warm), but for colder climates, you may want to go the long underwear route.

Polypropylene long underwear. Don't show under anything.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
Bring an extra pair of shoes in case you step into a puddle of melted snow or something like that. You do NOT want to be stuck with wet feet in the cold for hours.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 05:09:49 AM »
I live in New England. Layers are great especially if you're not going to be staying outside for extended periods of time, but I don't like big bulky things.  I generally wear long sleeve plain color T-shirts (long enough to actually stay tucked in), T-shirts (which I have usually gotten for free at some convention), sweater or sweatshirt(if it is particularly cold) & a Sherpa lined hoodie that I bought at Target (which is my favorite thing ever) from the Men's section. I don't actually own a coat. If I'm not going anywhere special, I actually have big thick Eddie Bauer Thermal shirts stolen from my husband (Christmas presents from his mom, but reasonably priced at an outlet) that I think are fantastic. In fact it was -4 on my way to work this morning & I am just wearing a Thermal shirt & my hoodie, but I wasn't outside for more than 10 minutes.

Also, scarf, hat & I like to double my gloves by wearing the cheap $0.99 one size fits all gloves under another pair of gloves. I find this to be handy because it means I can remove the wet outer layer after cleaning of the car or whatever.

I also second the cotton exercise pants, under your pants, but I think this is a personal preference. I don't like how long underwear feels generally.

Wool socks. There are a bunch of different brands that are all decent. Since I do most of my random shopping at Target, I can recommend their new Alaskan Knit Socks they come in a variety of thicknesses.