Author Topic: Cost effective Home Security System  (Read 6609 times)

FastStache

• Bristles
Cost effective Home Security System
« on: July 23, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »
I'm looking for a cost effective home security system, and am willing to connect it up myself to save some money.  I have used ADT in the past I hated the price and customer service even more.

I believe IPDaley has mentioned on here some way to pay very little monthly for monitoring but I can't find the post.

I'd like to connect up to the main system
Sensors for open close
Siren
Smoke Detector

Nice to haves
Cameras
Motion Sensors

HappyIntrovert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cost effective Home Security System
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »
We had a wired Brinks system (Brinks was bought by ADT).  We wanted to get rid of our landline, so we removed the old Brinks control panel and replaced it with a Honeywell Vista 21ip along with new keypads. We signed up with alarmgrid.com for monitoring over the internet for $15 a month.  So there was an outlay for the new components, but within a year what we will save by paying less for monitoring as well as ditching our landline will pay for it.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 05:11:01 PM »
I swear I'm not trying to be a troll by saying this but....

A dog

HappyIntrovert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »
I would not be at all surprised that a dog costs more in the long run than a security system.  Just add up the food, vet bills, etc...

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:25:32 PM »
I would not be at all surprised that a dog costs more in the long run than a security system.  Just add up the food, vet bills, etc...

True, but dogs are way more fun to hang out with.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »
ummm put up a sign in your yard from a home security companyl.... seriously it works.  you probably have ADT signs just put em up and dont use the service.  burglars look for easy targets and stay away from houses with security systmes

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
Shotgun...that and a few shells. No recurring costs, unless you actually have to use it. Unlikely, though. If you get a pump shotgun, the majority of Americans understand that sound. So, intimidation will generally end your fight before it begins.

FrugalSpendthrift

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 06:54:47 AM »
Shotgun...that and a few shells. No recurring costs, unless you actually have to use it. Unlikely, though. If you get a pump shotgun, the majority of Americans understand that sound. So, intimidation will generally end your fight before it begins.
The sound is very distinctive, but that only works in the movies.  If you are seriously trying to defend your home with a shotgun, then you probably want to have a shell chambered long before the intruder is within earshot.

Here are some other ideas:
  • If you are handy with a computer, you could set up some network camera's to either record to a hard drive or view over the internet without any monthly subscription fees.
  • Motion sensor lights are an easy way to startle anyone wondering around your property.
  • Interior lights on a timer can make it look like someone is home.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:25:49 AM »
The most cost effective solution is to make your house undesirable to break into.  Security systems are still invisible to your average smash and grab burglar, which the sign may deter.  The more experienced criminal can use your security sign against you if they know the workings of that particular system.

Motion sensor lights, keep your house maintained, kick proof doors or at least deadbolts on all exterior doors.

Other than that a lot of security is just common sense.  Don't leave valuables in plain sight, don't leave packaging for expensive electronics out on the curb (large tv box), leave easily accessible windows closed when you are away....I could go on.

Then if you are still set on cameras, alarms, monitoring services, bodyguards....ask yourself why do you feel you need all of this.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »
ummm put up a sign in your yard from a home security companyl.... seriously it works.  you probably have ADT signs just put em up and dont use the service.  burglars look for easy targets and stay away from houses with security systmes

I've done this at a previous house - just go buy yard sign and window/door stickers off of eBay.

FastStache

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:41 AM »
There are some benefits to monitoring, but whether it justifies the cost is another discussion.

1. Monitors any fires and will call the fire dept. This can be useful if one is out of the house when a fire breaks out.
2. It can let you know the house is ok to enter when you are out.
3. The loud alarm can deter an intruder.

One of the main reasons for doing this is the fire monitoring, keep peace at the house and cameras to help out in case something happens.

I definitely at least plan to add the lights, dead bolts and other safety features with no recurring costs. 

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 08:50:34 AM »
When I first found MMM, one of the first things to be cut was my security monitoring and associated land line at nearly $100/month.

When you really think about it, what are you getting?  You get a loud noise AFTER someone has accessed the house.  Then it may take 15 minutes for the cops/fire dept to arrive.  By then what is done is done.

I think having the sign and any preventative measures (make the bad guys job HARD!) are money well spent.  I also have bars on low windows to deter break ins via the windows.

The picture in your mind of the ADT guy at the call center that is going to save the day is just that, a dream. 

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »
Motion sensors that turn lights on outside.  Rotating automatic lights on/off indoors.  Fake dog barking triggered by motion sensors (not sure how you would do this one).  Of course, if you have a dog anyway, that is best.

There would be a very steep learning curve trying to install motion sensors and window bugs.  You need to have a lot of time on your hands to learn this.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:53 AM »
We have a "protected by xxxx" sticker by our front door, and several dogs that freak the [bark] out when the doorbell rings or someone is opening the door.  We haven't had issues, but we don't live in a particularly high-crime area.

The only thing I can think of we have that is small and valuable and thus desirable to a thief would be my GF's camera gear, and that's insured.