Author Topic: Coronavirus preparedness  (Read 129209 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Coronavirus preparedness
« Reply #950 on: July 19, 2021, 12:39:57 PM »
Regarding travel, is anyplace (in or out of the US) currently requiring proof of vaccination to enter or bypass any of the quarantine rules?

Like a good puppy, I have all my shots but I misplaced the little card. My state does have me recorded in the immunization registry so I'm "official" but I'm not sure how to use that to actually prove anything if I need to.

All of eastern Canada as far as I know.

Do they just check the easily faked text email receipt from the government, or is there some kind of database that they run stuff through?

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: July 19, 2021, 02:37:02 PM »
Regarding travel, is anyplace (in or out of the US) currently requiring proof of vaccination to enter or bypass any of the quarantine rules?

Like a good puppy, I have all my shots but I misplaced the little card. My state does have me recorded in the immunization registry so I'm "official" but I'm not sure how to use that to actually prove anything if I need to.

You should be able to go back to your pharmacy where you originally got the shots (or your doctor, wherever), and get a replacement card.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #952 on: July 19, 2021, 02:46:25 PM »

All of eastern Canada as far as I know.

Do they just check the easily faked text email receipt from the government, or is there some kind of database that they run stuff through?

Not an expert, I have no idea.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #953 on: July 19, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »

I'd relaxed for a bit and wasn't masking inside in places that weren't crowded, but I'm back to masking any time I'm indoors.  I had two different workers come to the house today and was pleased that both were masked without me having to ask, and I masked while they were here as well, for their comfort and safety.

We have two trips planned for the fall.  I'm no preparing myself for both to be canceled.  I would be 0% surprised if DH goes back to HPCON B, which means basically he's not allowed to go anywhere except absolutely vital errands.  Fun times.

And all so, so preventable.  Even more preventable than the initial outbreak and spread in early 2020. 

GoCubsGo

• Bristles
« Reply #954 on: July 21, 2021, 03:10:02 PM »
I got the JnJ vaccine, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm not feeling great about  this new Delta wave.   I read an article yesterday about people who got JnJ walking into pharmacies and lying about receiving a vaccine so that they could get a Moderna vaccine (apparently some doctors have done this as well).  That seems stupid without knowing the repercussions, but at the same time, there isn't a lot info coming from the coronavirus task force or CDC regarding this subject. 

I did hear today that the Biden administration will likely not recommend another shut down and major cities mayors are also afraid of the political fall out of rolling back restrictions.  So we are just gonna have to hope people wise up and get vaccinated.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: July 21, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »
  So we are just gonna have to hope people wise up and get vaccinated.

Given everything that's already happened, it doesn't feel like the most likely end result. It's hard to wrap my head around what's happening in the US - a heavily hit country, I guess almost anyone in the US must know someone who has had a serious case and prob even died from it. We have very high vax rate (prob end up >90% of adults, under-18s not eligible for the time being) but for a lot of folks here, myself included, a serious case is generally something you read about or hear via-via. I personally don't know anyone who has had a bad case, I know a few confirmed infected but they've been fine after a short while. The serious business is just stuff I read about in the newspaper .

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #956 on: July 21, 2021, 05:26:42 PM »
I got the JnJ vaccine, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm not feeling great about  this new Delta wave.   I read an article yesterday about people who got JnJ walking into pharmacies and lying about receiving a vaccine so that they could get a Moderna vaccine (apparently some doctors have done this as well).  That seems stupid without knowing the repercussions, but at the same time, there isn't a lot info coming from the coronavirus task force or CDC regarding this subject.

Yeah, who do you think you are mixing vaccines with no testing results to prove safety/efficacy . . . the government of Canada?  We've been recommending the mixing of adenovirus vaccines with mRNA vaccines for two months now.

:P

hooplady

• Stubble
« Reply #957 on: July 21, 2021, 06:11:23 PM »
Friend finally took a long-planned trip to an African county to do some volunteer work. All five in the party were fully vaccinated. Three tested positive upon return, one had an extended hospital stay.

At this point I'm just confused. According to the CDC, the vaccination protects me from "severe illness and death". Heck, I had what would have been considered a mild case last year and I literally thought I was going to die. Do I need to go back to self-isolation? I've been masking more often than in the past couple months, but we know that's for the protection of others, not me. Should I start disinfecting the Amazon boxes again? I've been going to grocery stores but still haven't started going to restaurants or other such places. It's really a quandary right now.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #958 on: July 21, 2021, 06:23:20 PM »
It's hard to wrap my head around what's happening in the US - a heavily hit country, I guess almost anyone in the US must know someone who has had a serious case and prob even died from it.

Yep.

My aunt died from It

My step dad died of It

My uncle was in the hospital for 3 months with Covid and is still struggling to get back to a normal life

My sister and both of her kids got it and faired ok

Countless people at work came down with it to varying degrees

Maybe people around me just have bad luck…

Amazing that people still doubt it and that misinformation is so rampant it really is sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #959 on: July 21, 2021, 06:26:25 PM »
Friend finally took a long-planned trip to an African county to do some volunteer work. All five in the party were fully vaccinated. Three tested positive upon return, one had an extended hospital stay.

At this point I'm just confused. According to the CDC, the vaccination protects me from "severe illness and death". Heck, I had what would have been considered a mild case last year and I literally thought I was going to die. Do I need to go back to self-isolation? I've been masking more often than in the past couple months, but we know that's for the protection of others, not me. Should I start disinfecting the Amazon boxes again? I've been going to grocery stores but still haven't started going to restaurants or other such places. It's really a quandary right now.
Confusing time’s indeed hopefully more information will start to be shared so we know what to do and expect.

The 585

« Reply #960 on: July 21, 2021, 07:03:07 PM »

I did hear today that the Biden administration will likely not recommend another shut down and major cities mayors are also afraid of the political fall out of rolling back restrictions.  So we are just gonna have to hope people wise up and get vaccinated.

I have the same concerns, especially since I'm traveling to Italy and Ireland next month. If boosters were officially recommend after getting the J&J I'd do it for sure, but we're stuck in this middle ground where some are recommending it and some aren't. Plus I don't know if it would through off my "fully vaccinated" status in a database somewhere.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #961 on: July 21, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
It's hard to wrap my head around what's happening in the US - a heavily hit country, I guess almost anyone in the US must know someone who has had a serious case and prob even died from it.

Yep.

My aunt died from It

My step dad died of It

My uncle was in the hospital for 3 months with Covid and is still struggling to get back to a normal life

Amazing that people still doubt it and that misinformation is so rampant it really is sad.

My city's mayor and one of my former classmates died of it in December. Our city clerk is still experiencing long COVID effects after testing positive in March. All of my mom's coworkers had it last winter, and her boss nearly died.

All of that was before the Delta variant. Two friends (a couple) developed symptoms in the last 24 hours and just tested positive for Delta. They are both fully vaccinated with two doses of Moderna vax.

It's real.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #962 on: July 22, 2021, 12:32:57 AM »

The vaccine only protects you from severe illness and death. Meaning, you can still get COVID even when fully vaccinated; you're just probably not going to die from it.

Keep masking and social distancing. Avoid or minimize being in crowded public places. And carry hand sanitizer with you. And wash your hands frequently and don't touch your face when you're outside and not sure what else your hands have touched.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:35:35 AM by Freedomin5 »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #963 on: July 22, 2021, 01:19:50 AM »
Step-mother had it and has long-haul difficulties. 

Several family members of co-workers died from it.

DW and kids and I all had it. Mild symptoms only kept us adults in bed for a week, 3 more weeks of fairly significant fatigue and brain fog. Lingering physical and sense of smell impacts. We are now vaccinated (Moderna or Pfizer) and are out and about. I will report in if we end up having new symptoms. I don’t particularly want to go through what we had again, but I don’t really want to go through a hard lockdown again either. Universal vaccination is the most effective path to avoiding both.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #964 on: July 22, 2021, 09:46:53 AM »
I'm expecting things to go to shit this autumn and winter again. Recent reports out of Lexington KY are that about 20 % of their new Covid cases are fully vaccinated individuals.

I suspect they may have a local vaccine-evading variant that has popped up, and if that's happening there, it's going to happen elsewhere and spread like wildfire, especially given the fact that most states/governors/mayors have given up on mask mandates.

Locally, our cases went from several months (post vaccine rollout) of single digits every day to doubling every 2-3 days starting a couple weeks ago. We just passed more than 100 new cases per day again. And college students are set to return to campus in a couple weeks.

Given how little genetic sequencing the U.S. is doing to identify variants, I'm fully expecting more Lexington type scenarios to start hitting the news shortly.

Edited to less alarming stats when I found the article and reread.  Phew, that's a relief.

It was 20% of total new cases, not hospitalized cases.  Still indicates trends toward more vaccine 'evasion' by the viruses recently than a few months ago, but it could also be statistical noise or changes in testing.

Still, with cases starting to spike locally, I sure am not taking off masks or mingling in crowds any time soon.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:19:52 AM by wenchsenior »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #965 on: July 22, 2021, 09:54:43 AM »
I'm expecting things to go to shit this autumn and winter again. Recent reports out of Lexington KY are that about ONE QUARTER!! of their new hospital cases of Covid are of people supposedly fully vaccinated.  Not just 'new cases', but new hospitalized cases.

I suspect they may have a local vaccine-evading variant that has popped up, and if that's happening there, it's going to happen elsewhere and spread like wildfire, especially given the fact that most states/governors/mayors have given up on mask mandates.

Locally, our cases went from several months (post vaccine rollout) of single digits every day to doubling every 2-3 days starting a couple weeks ago. We just passed more than 100 new cases per day again. And college students are set to return to campus in a couple weeks.

Given how little genetic sequencing the U.S. is doing to identify variants, I'm fully expecting more Lexington type scenarios to start hitting the news shortly.

Do you have a link on that? I just googled and didn't see something obvious on the top returns.

I am the lone voice trying to cancel an upcoming vacation w/ unvaccinated inlaws and unvaccinated children and everyone is telling me I'm over reacting.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #966 on: July 22, 2021, 10:21:30 AM »
I'm expecting things to go to shit this autumn and winter again. Recent reports out of Lexington KY are that about ONE QUARTER!! of their new hospital cases of Covid are of people supposedly fully vaccinated.  Not just 'new cases', but new hospitalized cases.

Do you have a link on that? I just googled and didn't see something obvious on the top returns.

I am the lone voice trying to cancel an upcoming vacation w/ unvaccinated inlaws and unvaccinated children and everyone is telling me I'm over reacting.

Found it. Less alarming than I originally read it as.  Still not good, though.  I edited my post above.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-25-percent-lexington-covid-211508547.html

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #967 on: July 22, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »

My fully vaccinated, retired physician father was going to come to visit us next month, but he decided to cancel because he was coming from Missouri (where things are going nuts) to Nova Scotia (where things are cool) and we have an unvaccinated 6 year old daughter.  He didn't want to be a vector.  My in laws have expressed an interest in coming in October (from Florida) and my wife told them we'll see what's going on then.  Being in a province where things are very well under control, we're definitely planning to stay put for a while.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #968 on: July 22, 2021, 11:06:36 AM »
I'm expecting things to go to shit this autumn and winter again. Recent reports out of Lexington KY are that about 20 % of their new Covid cases are fully vaccinated individuals.

I think you're optimistic. Things are going to shit much more quickly than that.

Hospitalizations have been spiking at an alarming rate here in Austin. We are early in a period of rapid community spread - and this is one of the more vaccinated areas in Texas!

I had started grocery shopping in store again while double masked. Ended that a week ago - curbside only now, and I replaced some of the pantry goods we had been working down.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 11:11:55 AM by TomTX »

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #969 on: July 22, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »

My fully vaccinated, retired physician father was going to come to visit us next month, but he decided to cancel because he was coming from Missouri (where things are going nuts) to Nova Scotia (where things are cool) and we have an unvaccinated 6 year old daughter.  He didn't want to be a vector.  My in laws have expressed an interest in coming in October (from Florida) and my wife told them we'll see what's going on then.  Being in a province where things are very well under control, we're definitely planning to stay put for a while.

I'm still not hanging out with my unvaccinated relatives.  They're either high risk or stupid or both.

hooplady

• Stubble
« Reply #970 on: July 22, 2021, 11:37:51 AM »

The vaccine only protects you from severe illness and death. Meaning, you can still get COVID even when fully vaccinated; you're just probably not going to die from it.

Keep masking and social distancing. Avoid or minimize being in crowded public places. And carry hand sanitizer with you. And wash your hands frequently and don't touch your face when you're outside and not sure what else your hands have touched.
Yep. All the things I was doing a year ago, except it seems a bit harder now. More people are out and about unmasked, fewer options for curbside pickup. The last couple times I arranged a drive-up order at Target, when I got there the parking spots were closed with a sign instructing customers to pick up inside.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #971 on: July 22, 2021, 11:44:02 AM »

Thanks for making me feel not crazy :)

If they are embarrassed by my fully masked and face shielded children (my son likes wearing a face shield or goggles when he wears a mask - he has sensory stuff so I just roll with whatever works for him) they can deal with it!

And we still have some time left for the CDC or Fauci people to say something like "we don't recommend travel for children under 12" if they did that my husband would be on board w/ cancelling.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #972 on: July 22, 2021, 11:47:43 AM »

Yep.

My aunt died from It

My step dad died of It

My old neighborhood had an astonishing number of deaths last year. Most families refuse to say of what, in at least one case at the request of the deceased when they first went into the hospital. I had an aunt whose second to last Facebook photo was "no mask, as God intended." Then a few weeks later, her daughter posted a photo of her with oxygen, then a death notice. As such, I think there are a lot of people kidding themselves that they don't know anyone.

GoCubsGo

• Bristles
« Reply #973 on: July 22, 2021, 01:55:18 PM »
Most gave a lost of sh*t to the previous administration (very deserved) but this administration isn't doing a very good job on messaging to the public right now IMO. If kids can spread the delta variant and vaccinated people can get the delta variant , shouldn't there be much more forceful messaging from the CDC/Government regarding children?  It sounds like Israel has been throwing up some alarms about efficacy past 6 months but I haven't heard anything from the CDC and what their studies show.

Even public transportation masking has been getting more and more lax here in Chicago and if anything it should be ramping up right?  Fauci has been in the news more the past week, but I haven't heard anything from the taskforce all summer on the national news networks.  What happens when we all go back indoors when weather gets cold this fall.  This is definitely getting old. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #974 on: July 22, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
Most gave a lost of sh*t to the previous administration (very deserved) but this administration isn't doing a very good job on messaging to the public right now IMO. If kids can spread the delta variant and vaccinated people can get the delta variant , shouldn't there be much more forceful messaging from the CDC/Government regarding children?  It sounds like Israel has been throwing up some alarms about efficacy past 6 months but I haven't heard anything from the CDC and what their studies show.

Even public transportation masking has been getting more and more lax here in Chicago and if anything it should be ramping up right?  Fauci has been in the news more the past week, but I haven't heard anything from the taskforce all summer on the national news networks.  What happens when we all go back indoors when weather gets cold this fall.  This is definitely getting old.

Unvaccinated kids under 12 are dying very rarely (keeping an eye on the variants here though).  Same thing with fully vaccinated people.  While it doesn't prevent catching covid, the vaccine appears to reduce covid to bad flu/cold levels or below for the majority.  So as long as vaccination numbers go high enough, there's no reason for concern.  Then the whole thing becomes similar to the flu . . . lots of people get it, but we can deal.

The problem is if large numbers of adults choose to remain unvaccinated, hoping that everyone else's vaccines are going to keep them safe.  That's not a good bet to make.  The unvaccinated are likely to be clogging up the hospitals.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #975 on: July 22, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »

Given how contagious the delta variant is assumed to be, its probably a reasonable assumption that "everyone" will be exposed to it sooner or later. With the current vaccination rate in the US, and frankly most other places, there is very low probability it will go away anytime soon. So you best bet is to be vaccinated, which reduces the probability of a serious outcome down to a very low number, but not to zero. It is a bit fascinating so see how far the goalposts have been moved. It started out with great concern for the elderly and vulnerable, when they where vaccinated it moved on to the middle aged with a decent risk of needing ICU treatment, then it was onto the young who cold also in some cases get seriously ill and now it's on to children - a cohort noone worried about in the beginning of the pandemic as they were considered very low risk.

The higher infection rate of the delta variant doesn't really change the total outcome, just how long it takes, if we assume the risk of a serious outcome is around the same as earlier variants which afaik is a topic of some debate still.

In the UK confirmed cases are around the previous peak but hospitalization rate is 1/10th or so and death rate is 1/20th. Vaccines work.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #976 on: July 22, 2021, 03:29:03 PM »

I think you're optimistic. Things are going to shit much more quickly than that.

Hospitalizations have been spiking at an alarming rate here in Austin. We are early in a period of rapid community spread - and this is one of the more vaccinated areas in Texas!

I had started grocery shopping in store again while double masked. Ended that a week ago - curbside only now, and I replaced some of the pantry goods we had been working down.

Is it because of the new lambda variant that was recently identified in Texas?

https://news.yahoo.com/lambda-variant-covid-19-identified-194603117.html

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #977 on: July 22, 2021, 03:37:15 PM »

Thanks for making me feel not crazy :)

If they are embarrassed by my fully masked and face shielded children (my son likes wearing a face shield or goggles when he wears a mask - he has sensory stuff so I just roll with whatever works for him) they can deal with it!

And we still have some time left for the CDC or Fauci people to say something like "we don't recommend travel for children under 12" if they did that my husband would be on board w/ cancelling.

Does this site from the CDC help?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-risk.html

There are clear statements from the CDC indicating that unvaccinated folks should avoid other unvaccinated folks. There are guidelines about avoiding unvaccinated folks that are not from your (immediate) household, etc. etc. The guidelines are quite specific so hopefully you can find some that pertain to your vacation situation that you can use.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #978 on: July 22, 2021, 07:31:44 PM »

Is it because of the new lambda variant that was recently identified in Texas?

https://news.yahoo.com/lambda-variant-covid-19-identified-194603117.html

Nope. All based on Delta spread.  Karnes County, TX has the highest infection rates in the contiguous USA, only beaten by Sitka, AK. Austin area is doubling cases in 9-10 days.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #979 on: July 23, 2021, 10:31:51 PM »
I have been very hopeful about vaccines and we have relaxed a lot of our restrictions.  I was even starting to consider socializing with some unvaccinated friends. But now all this chatter is heightening my concerns again.

To top it off, my little niece (across the pond in the UK) has just tested positive.  She was soooo close to being safer, but right before school let out for the summer, she caught it from her classmate. So far only very mild symptoms and thankfully both parents are fully vaccinated and we are all hoping they stay negative.

On the good side, we live in Canada with high vaccination rates. It's often challenging to assess our personal risks though.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #980 on: July 24, 2021, 08:43:36 AM »

It's the same in Los Angeles: 20% of cases in June were in fully vaccinated people. FYI 50% of our population is fully vaccinated.
https://deadline.com/2021/07/delta-variant-los-angeles-twenty-percent-covid-cases-vaccinated-people-1234798599/

[/quote]

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #981 on: July 24, 2021, 11:05:37 AM »
I live in FL and our cases are soaring.  I was hoping to take an in-state mini-trip this fall but sadly that's off the table. 

I am fully vaxxed but I still wear my mask (I take meds that lower my immunity plus have underlying conditions so I wear it if I need to or not) and I have seen folks not wearing them that are coughing and not looking well in general, along with sick kids so I am again holing up at home and only going out if I need to.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I'd rather take too many precautions and stay healthy.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #982 on: July 24, 2021, 07:46:20 PM »
I live in FL and our cases are soaring.  I was hoping to take an in-state mini-trip this fall but sadly that's off the table. 

I am fully vaxxed but I still wear my mask (I take meds that lower my immunity plus have underlying conditions so I wear it if I need to or not) and I have seen folks not wearing them that are coughing and not looking well in general, along with sick kids so I am again holing up at home and only going out if I need to.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I'd rather take too many precautions and stay healthy.

Meanwhile, CBC news reports that several states (Florida, Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota) no longer provide daily data, but only weekly.  So trying to make decisions is harder, when relying on old data.  I would certainly err on the side of caution too.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #983 on: July 25, 2021, 05:11:37 AM »
The sooner all the unvaxxed people get infected, recover, and develop immunity from Covid, the better. The ones who die or end up with long term health issues only have themselves to blame.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #984 on: July 25, 2021, 09:03:11 AM »
The sooner all the unvaxxed people get infected, recover, and develop immunity from Covid, the better. The ones who die or end up with long term health issues only have themselves to blame.

I mean, that's the route the CDC is taking by saying "OK no one needs to wear a mask indoors now if they're vaccinated!" (when you know people who aren't vaxxed are going to go ahead and not mask, since there is no longer the social stigma attached to not masking up in grocery stores, etc.)

And at this point I'm inclined to agree from a certain perspective- now that vaccines are widely available in the US, it's largely a matter of personal responsibility. But...

This strategy, it's a big slap in the face to anyone who has children under 12. Sure, my partner and I are both vaccinated, but this strategy leaves young kids completely exposed. We have worked and worked to keep our whole family safe this last 18+ months, and it sure would be nice to know that we are still safe in grocery stores, etc... I know and understand his risk of *severe* illness is minimal given his age, but I don't really appreciate the CDC not taking a more conservative approach when it comes to the health and safety of my toddler. I basically can't go anywhere indoors with him and feel good about it right now.

Plus, I would argue that the Darwinian approach (let those who are too ignorant to get vaccinated get ill) is not in the best interest of vaccinated people either. I get the sense that we want to minimize the risk of further variants developing in the unvaccinated population that could be less resistant to vaccines, and we probably don't want to put further burdens on our already overtaxed healthcare system. There's probably a slew of articles and data to back this up, but I'll let other people who know more about it take this on. For now, I'm primarily concerned about the direct potential impact to my kid.

tl;dr I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree- this isn't going to be the optimal approach.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #985 on: July 25, 2021, 10:07:04 AM »
Delta does a pretty good job of infecting both those who had previous COVID and who are vaccinated.

Still FAR less likely to end up in the hospital or dead - so the vaccination is extremely worthwhile.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #986 on: July 25, 2021, 11:41:57 AM »
So, my friend who got Covid after being vaccinated? She has Covid pneumonia. Not fun.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #987 on: July 25, 2021, 12:21:59 PM »
@maisymouser yeah - that's basically what is happening in the UK now. My brother and his wife have been super cautious and are both fully vaxxed. Their young DD caught it in school and has just tested positive. Sigh.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #988 on: July 25, 2021, 12:50:14 PM »
School starts in 3 weeks here. If they go with a no masking policy, seems like this Delta variant will just run through entire elementary schools.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #989 on: July 25, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
School starts in 3 weeks here. If they go with a no masking policy, seems like this Delta variant will just run through entire elementary schools.

Texas has state-mandated no-masking for schools.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #990 on: July 25, 2021, 10:45:28 PM »
It’s hard to watch this all happening again. More vaccinations would certainly help keep things under control.  For those worries about your kids, I can’t tell you not to worry, but our youngest kids (still too young to get vaccinated as of July 25th) barely even knew they had Covid when our family got it. Our oldest definitely knew they had it, but effects were very mild compared to DW and I. (All of us who can be vaccinated have received the shots - the youngest will get their vaccinations as soon as they are eligible. In the meantime, we’re on vacation. 

Bottom line:  Odds are not a guarantee, but odds are, your kids will be a lot less affected by Covid than you will be.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #991 on: July 26, 2021, 07:01:51 AM »

I mean, that's the route the CDC is taking by saying "OK no one needs to wear a mask indoors now if they're vaccinated!" (when you know people who aren't vaxxed are going to go ahead and not mask, since there is no longer the social stigma attached to not masking up in grocery stores, etc.)

And at this point I'm inclined to agree from a certain perspective- now that vaccines are widely available in the US, it's largely a matter of personal responsibility. But...

This strategy, it's a big slap in the face to anyone who has children under 12. Sure, my partner and I are both vaccinated, but this strategy leaves young kids completely exposed. We have worked and worked to keep our whole family safe this last 18+ months, and it sure would be nice to know that we are still safe in grocery stores, etc... I know and understand his risk of *severe* illness is minimal given his age, but I don't really appreciate the CDC not taking a more conservative approach when it comes to the health and safety of my toddler. I basically can't go anywhere indoors with him and feel good about it right now.

Plus, I would argue that the Darwinian approach (let those who are too ignorant to get vaccinated get ill) is not in the best interest of vaccinated people either. I get the sense that we want to minimize the risk of further variants developing in the unvaccinated population that could be less resistant to vaccines, and we probably don't want to put further burdens on our already overtaxed healthcare system. There's probably a slew of articles and data to back this up, but I'll let other people who know more about it take this on. For now, I'm primarily concerned about the direct potential impact to my kid.

tl;dr I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree- this isn't going to be the optimal approach.

In reality, though, little kids are at almost zero risk from Covid. Eventually, they'll probably authorize vaccines for kids 0-11 years old, but it may end up being more dangerous for little kids to get the vaccine than it is to catch Covid. Everyone I know whose little kids have gotten infected, they were totally fine, to the point where the kids didn't even know that they had it. Unvaccinated adults in the family all got sick and some had to go to the hospital, but the kids just went right on playing and having fun. Only reason the multiple families we know knew their kids had covid was because they took them to get tested. Otherwise, they would've never even known their kids were "sick".

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #992 on: July 26, 2021, 07:36:05 AM »
My anecdotal evidence suggests that kids can get pretty sick with it as well. I have relatives who have 3 healthy youngsters - 2 yo, 3.5 yo and 5 yo. Parents and kids all had fevers, fatigue, and vomiting for a week. It wasn't pretty. I also have a friend whose kids had very different reactions...the littles had colds, but the 8 yo still has respiratory issues several months later.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #993 on: July 26, 2021, 07:38:30 AM »
More anecdotal evidence, my friend's 1,5 y/o was hospitalized with Covid, but eventually recovered faster than it's parents. Older siblings were symptomless but infected.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #994 on: July 26, 2021, 07:41:27 AM »
Since the subject has turned to COVID and kids, I found this article interesting:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/07/the-kids-were-safe-from-covid-the-whole-time.html

Kids have gotten infected at lower rates, and their symptoms have been less severe than other age groups pretty universally during the pandemic. The risks that COVID poses for those under 18, and especially those younger than 12 are less than or equal to the flu for the same age group. If you weren't masking up your little one 2 years ago to reduce their risk of getting the flu or pneumonia, then I'm not sure it's logical to mask them up now. For the same reasons, if you weren't personally masking up to reduce their risk of catching those things then, then it seems inconsistent to do so now. The risks are the same in both scenarios, we're just more sensitive to the risk now.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #995 on: July 26, 2021, 08:07:15 AM »
Look, I get it, kids are at lower risk than adults generally speaking. But do y'all see what is happening in Indonesia? Tell me I am overreacting. Seriously, I haven't had time to parse numbers and reassure myself that when kids go back to school in the fall, we won't see this kind of effect. Do numbers there still match up with the risk of flu or other infection? Thanks y'all. What a challenging time to live thru.

No Longer ‘Hidden Victims,’ Children Are Dying as Virus Surges in Indonesia https://nyti.ms/2W7Xuyn

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #996 on: July 26, 2021, 08:27:34 AM »
Look, I get it, kids are at lower risk than adults generally speaking. But do y'all see what is happening in Indonesia? Tell me I am overreacting. Seriously, I haven't had time to parse numbers and reassure myself that when kids go back to school in the fall, we won't see this kind of effect. Do numbers there still match up with the risk of flu or other infection? Thanks y'all. What a challenging time to live thru.

No Longer ‘Hidden Victims,’ Children Are Dying as Virus Surges in Indonesia https://nyti.ms/2W7Xuyn

That's not looking too good.  Most of our re-opening plans have been based around the idea that kids below 12 are overwhelmingly going to be OK if they contract the disease.  If this status has changed with the new variants it's going to have to radically impact things.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #997 on: July 26, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »

I saw that, too. There are a lot of variables, but the recent increases in pediatric ICU admissions for COVID in this country (thanks to Delta) are concerning. Kids are more likely to survive here, thanks to better infrastructure, but those who are sick enough to be hospitalized are at higher risk for long-term complications.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #998 on: July 26, 2021, 10:51:27 AM »
And then we got to read this gem this morning:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/07/26/1019875347/doctors-worry-that-memory-problems-after-covid-19-may-set-stage-for-alzheimers

Not fun to look forward to. Memory problems aren’t limited to adults either. In fact, memory impacts are the biggest problem our oldest daughter has complained about. Sometimes it’s funny - she couldn’t think of the word syrup and instead called it “pancake ketchup”, but after this article, it doesn’t seem so funny anymore.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #999 on: July 26, 2021, 01:16:50 PM »
I didn’t mask my kids during flu season, but I sure got them a flu shot and made them wash their hands every time we walked into the house during flu season.