Author Topic: Coronavirus preparedness  (Read 129215 times)

EngineerOurFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Coronavirus preparedness
« Reply #450 on: March 06, 2020, 08:22:46 PM »
@Taran Wanderer
First, love the user name.  Totally forgot about that series until I saw your user name.  Loved it as a kid.

Second, I guess I should’ve bothered to look up the article.  It was 12 pounds of cheese not 1.5.  I pulled a Brian Williams and didn’t consider the consumption, nor bothered to look up the article. #lazymoment.....but it still sounds like you go through WAY more cheese than our family, lol. 

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/20/wealth-advice-that-should-be-obvious/

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: March 06, 2020, 08:44:07 PM »
12 pounds sounds about right!

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #452 on: March 06, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
Back to preparedness . . .

1. Talking with DH about what we're going to do about childcare in the event of school closing. I'm my 4yo's primary caregiver, and we don't have any family nearby. But I'm also a healthcare provider, so should my job become more critical than DH's, he's going to have to be prepared to do all the childcare.

2. Prepare for quarantine in the event of exposure or being diagnosed. This means 2-3 weeks of food and essential supplies. There are as of today 44 diagnosed cases in my area and ~4000 under quarantine, and that number seems to being going up exponentially each day. It would be hard staying in our 1000sq ft space with our 4yo, but we'd get through it. I envy people living in single family homes, where, depending on the setup, you could still go in the backyard, garden, maybe even go out on drives, and maybe even get to a really remote place where you could walk around.

One thing I've thought about is how we'd be able to do laundry with no washer or dryer in our apartment, which is a common thing in NYC. It's not a quarantine if we're bringing our dirty clothes, used towels and face cloths, etc to a communal space. We'd have to hand wash our laundry for a few weeks.

3. Prepare for possible short-term disruptions in the global supply chain: several months of essential medications and anything else you can't live without. I'm not anticipating a no electricity / water / food type situation.

4. Prepare to possibly work at home. Prepare for possible layoffs as some businesses go bankrupt. Prepare for extended periods of no pay if you're an hourly worker. The people on this site are the most prepared out of anyone for these scenarios, but lots of people are going to hit hard by the economic disruption.

Healthcare workers on this thread: are you doing anything in particular to prepare? As a person in my 40s in good health with medical training, I feel like I'd be called to the front lines if our medical system truly becomes strained. I haven't put an IV in since residency, and I only ever intubated someone in medical school, but I could probably become pretty good in the field after a couple of weeks. I live in an area with a really high per capita number of healthcare providers, though, and a strong local public health system. So hopefully it won't come to that.

I would say most people I talk to IRL are pretty blythe, even as more new cases are being diagnosed here every day. We ourselves are still going out, riding mass transit, going to restaurants.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:46:25 PM by Mariposa »

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: March 06, 2020, 10:16:52 PM »
We “prepped” with our typical bulk purchases from Costco that we always have on hand  - including especially coffee. That way if you are quarantined and have to ask someone to pick up some groceries you can give them a short list. Have always had bottles of hand sanitizer in the house and in every car and several canisters of Clorox wipes. I typically always have back ups of items we use daily. I was pleased to see that I had a couple of big bottles of rubbing alcohol and cotton balls in the linen closet for wiping down the thermometer. Along with Tylenol and the like, cough drops would be good to have on hand. A nice stack of library books is is a wonderful diversion.

But in some ways the way to prepare for this is exactly what people on the forum do every day. Learn how to cook a nice variety of food so a monotony of home made meals doesn’t affect your mental well being. A few meals in the freezer is a great head start, along with other frozen and pantry ingredients on hand. Have a cash cushion so you can take two weeks off work (or more if you fall ill) without starting a free-fall into financial failure. Know how to entertain yourself at home and how to enjoy time with your family. Maintain your friend group (and look for ways to help others) to have people you can call on for help or to call and keep you company over the phone. Maintain your health and fitness to the degree you are able. Having an instrument or a hobby that you enjoy is priceless.

Stocking up on items is fine but you can’t buy your way out of the discomfort of quarantine.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #454 on: March 07, 2020, 02:54:56 AM »
We are not doing anything special. It all seems overblown. People over react or have seen too many zombie movies.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: March 07, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »
We are not doing anything special. It all seems overblown. People over react or have seen too many zombie movies.

I don't see how it's overblown.   It's spreading faster and is killing more people.  Even if you are younger and think it won't kill you, you can still spread it to vulnerable people.  Think of others.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #456 on: March 07, 2020, 07:36:11 AM »
Do you have an undersink filter you'd recommend? 

Because the water filters for my refrigerator cost an arm and a leg.

I just did an inline filter for the water feed to the fridge.

Example (3 pack for $22, Prime)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3I7MOE

rjfan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #457 on: March 07, 2020, 07:49:19 AM »
Hey

I live in Europe, Estonia. I have small apartment with wife and 2 kids. I'm in no way a prepper.
I followed advice in book Cody Lundin: "When All Hell Breaks Loose...". For any disaster he advices to take care of things in this order: Mental preparedness > Shelter (includes clothing) > Water > Food > Sanitation > Lighting > Safety

I have nothing to add to mental preparedness. I had open talk with wife and parents, where to go, what to do, what to expect. We made lists of things we use daily. Everybody agreed that the bright side is that this virus does not touch small kids.

For shelter i have backup apartment with wood oven heating. I think it has like half year supply of firewood. The book advices against going to the woods and trying to Rambo it out. I have no place to go outside of main cities. So thats where i'll be.

For water i got water canisters for 2 weeks supply, or 110 liters. And water treatment chemicals if mains supply is disrupted. I had buy iodine, because chlorine bleach is banned for general public in Europe. That was a big shock for me, I understand that you guys in America can buy it in supermarkets with no problem.

For food i got 1 month of supply of things we usually eat, and that needs preparing with hot water. Wheat, spaghetti, canned meat, various canned vegetables etc. We use same stuff to cook daily meals, except canned meat. I also got about 1 week or less food that does not need preparing, like cookies, peanuts, candy. I bought gas primus and another heat source, swedish army ethanol burner (don't know it's english translation) for cooking. Coffee and wine for comfort. I'd advice you to stock up anything that you use daily, like smokes, or anything that you have dependency on, mine is coffee.

For sanitation. Trashbags for toilet, lots of soap. Masks are all sold out in local stores, i ordered some from amazon.

For lighting. Led lamps, flashlight, batteries and candles.

For safety, nothing. I don't know if it's wise to get a gun. Based on the book, violence is not the main reason for death in disaster, its pretty much the last.

All that cost me ca. 700 euros, or ca. 800 dollars. Things that cost the most were medical supplies, gas primus, N95 masks that i ordered from amazon for probably triple price, water containers. Food was ca. 200 euros.

I also know from personal experience that water treatment and power generation atleast in my country should not get distrupted. Entire process is very automated, and i have worked in automation in both areas.

I was laid off also, a week ago, thanks to coronavirus, business dried out and management paniced. Theoretically, i have 6 months, or 12 (thanks to some unemployment insurance) if I put some effort to it before i have to go touch my investments. I was laid off in previous crisis also, in year 2008 or 2009. I had cash reserves then. So i just did nothing, worked on hobbies, worked out, it was a nice relaxing period.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: March 07, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »
My husband is severely disabled and unable to care for himself.  I also have two high school aged, very competent kids.

I've decided to prepare for us to be ill, and to try to keep my husband, especially, from getting sick himself.   Because of his illness and age he is in a very high-risk category, but he needs me to take care of him.

If I become ill, I will need to isolate myself from the family.  We have two bathrooms so one will be the sick person's bathroom and the other will be for everyone else.  The first sick person will isolate in the downstairs bedroom closest to the bathroom. and just stay there!

I made a sick box for everyone in the family with a thermometer (my husband has one he can operate himself with limited dexterity); some ginger-ale type drinks, and ready to heat soups; kleenex, garbage bags, sanitizing wipes, a bar of soap, and bleach spray; and a few masks.  For my husband's box I also put in some emergency baby food squeeze bottles, shelf stable milk cartons, water bottles and cheerios.  Things he could hopefully access himself to eat and drink for a while if we weren't able to help him.

In each box I also have some disposable plates and cups and utensils.

I also have one pulse oximeter to measure oxygen saturation in case someone can't breathe well.

I can't think of anything else to put so if anyone has suggestions for a sick box please share!

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #459 on: March 07, 2020, 09:00:16 AM »
When I first started discussing this last month with this thread and one other I was lambasted for being an alarmist. Now much of what I discussed has or is coming true. In fact yesterday the CDC advised that people over 60 should just stay home as much as possible (I’m slightly over but in good health). https://apple.news/AymksIYXBTtKFax4b1DrWpg

My local Costco is completely out of toilet paper, although my son says they are still getting some into the grocery store he works at. Hand sanitizer is gone. I feel fortunate to have stocked up weeks ago.

It’s not affecting my business yet but I expect it will soon. I need to have a discussion with my business partner this weekend about contingency plans - how will we pay our employees, how long, how much business can we do by phone?

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #460 on: March 07, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
When I first started discussing this last month with this thread and one other I was lambasted for being an alarmist.

And some of us, like myself, thought it would be worse.  I haven't seen anything to make me think any differently.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #461 on: March 07, 2020, 09:44:09 AM »
We've been washing our hands more often and avoiding touching surfaces that the general public touches.   But that's not because of covid-19, that's because we've had several cases of yucky crud in the last few years and we're tired of getting it.

We live in an area that can be affected by hurricanes.   Flooding, closed roads due to dam weakness or failure or downed trees, power outages due to massive numbers of downed trees, etc.   So we keep a water-tight tub of supplies and non-perishable foodstuffs and gas cylinders and charcoal during hurricane season.   In the past, we might be without power for 5 days and food deliveries to the grocery stores can be severely impacted by flooded out roads.   A couple of years ago, Wilmington was cut off from ALL road access to the rest of the country for a goodly while.   We only had one small road in and out of our city for a few days and parts of the city were disrupted by flooding.  (We don't buy houses that are likely to be flooded, geography matters...)

When we moved a month ago we took that as an opportunity to toss out any expired foodstuffs.    So our stock of emergency supplies was a bit low.  Basically, we've just re-stocked our hurricane supplies a few months early.   Our new house has a natural-gas-powered full-house power generator, so we should have electricity even if the rest of the neighborhood doesn't.   Because of that we've added more bulk rice, dried beans and pasta to our emergency supplies since boiling water won't be an issue.

We got spoiled at the last house because it had two refrigerators.   I'm going to pick up a 2nd one for our new house.   That way we don't have stuff crammed in and overflowing, plus it lets us have plenty of cold drinks and prepared dishes for when we have company.   As a bonus, when the neighborhood is without power, we can let our neighbors store their expensive perishables in it.  Somehow, I doubt the previous owner would have thought of doing something like that, he seemed to take a lot of glee in having power when others didn't.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: March 07, 2020, 09:55:37 AM »
My local Costco is completely out of toilet paper, although my son says they are still getting some into the grocery store he works at. Hand sanitizer is gone. I feel fortunate to have stocked up weeks ago.

Went by Costco this morning, looked pretty close to a normal Saturday, except they had more lanes open. Limits on purchases of vinegar, rice, flour, toilet paper of 2 per membership.

Which really is quite reasonable - the vinegar is more than a gallon. Rice and flour are 25 or 50 lb sacks. Toilet paper is an enormous bale.

I did still see people with two bales of TP.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #463 on: March 07, 2020, 02:47:37 PM »
When I first started discussing this last month with this thread and one other I was lambasted for being an alarmist.

And some of us, like myself, thought it would be worse.  I haven't seen anything to make me think any differently.

I still haven't made up my mind about how worried I should be about this virus, but it looks like we've got community spread in my area. Authorities have requested that anyone with flu/cold like symptoms or fever stay at home. I know several people who have been in touch with someone who had the virus. Hospitals allow only 1 visitor per patient now and have cancelled non-urgent operations. It feels like we're on the brink of something.

People are idiots, by the way. All week I've heard people complain that our government 'does nothing' unlike China, and now the government does something, ordering you to stay home if you are sick, and now people complain they're not going to stay home from work if they've got a simple cold...

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #464 on: March 07, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
Vinegar?  Why would one need that?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #465 on: March 07, 2020, 03:49:17 PM »

It's a germ killer and cleaner.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: March 07, 2020, 03:52:47 PM »
My husband is severely disabled and unable to care for himself.  I also have two high school aged, very competent kids.

I've decided to prepare for us to be ill, and to try to keep my husband, especially, from getting sick himself.   Because of his illness and age he is in a very high-risk category, but he needs me to take care of him.

If I become ill, I will need to isolate myself from the family.  We have two bathrooms so one will be the sick person's bathroom and the other will be for everyone else.  The first sick person will isolate in the downstairs bedroom closest to the bathroom. and just stay there!

I made a sick box for everyone in the family with a thermometer (my husband has one he can operate himself with limited dexterity); some ginger-ale type drinks, and ready to heat soups; kleenex, garbage bags, sanitizing wipes, a bar of soap, and bleach spray; and a few masks.  For my husband's box I also put in some emergency baby food squeeze bottles, shelf stable milk cartons, water bottles and cheerios.  Things he could hopefully access himself to eat and drink for a while if we weren't able to help him.

In each box I also have some disposable plates and cups and utensils.

I also have one pulse oximeter to measure oxygen saturation in case someone can't breathe well.

I can't think of anything else to put so if anyone has suggestions for a sick box please share!

Sounds very sensible for your situation. Don't forget the bigger things - keep your car full of gas, have some cash on hand (small bills), and an extra gas bottle if your household uses that.

Given your husband's vulnerability, perhaps you should set up a clean station by your front door for your family and for visitors? Just a mask if they feel a bit off, and hand sanitiser for everyone before they enter the house.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #467 on: March 07, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »

Fries are otherwise inedible.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: March 07, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »
I'm feeling glad that I stocked up on some things bit by bit over the last several weeks. I do my grocery shopping on Saturday and the stores were definitely busier than usual.

I even went in to Bath and Bodyworks to buy a candle for a bday present and it was full of people buying out the hand sanitizer. When I asked a lady why she was buying several tiny two dollar bottles of sanitizer she said all the other stores were already sold out.

Madness.

All the pasta and sauce, toilet paper, and eggs were gone at our aldi. We do not have any confirmed cases in our state.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #469 on: March 07, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »
Went to the grocery store in Madison today. Regular Saturday busy. Plenty of tp, hand soap, cleaning supplies, et al.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: March 07, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #471 on: March 07, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »

We use vinegar to clean everything but it doesn't kill influenza, norovirus, etc. You need actually bleach. Or plain old soap.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #472 on: March 07, 2020, 08:59:08 PM »

Cucumbers in vinegar mmmm

Grandma use to make them all of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #473 on: March 07, 2020, 11:28:30 PM »
I live in Singapore. Last week, I had a dry cough and a runny nose, went to the doctor who came out of the clinic all suited up, took my temperature, had a good listen to my lungs and gave me 5 days of medical leave. her instructions to me were : (1) stay home and rest (2) if you start to have a fever >38.4 Celsius or have difficulty breathing, go straight to the hospital. do not come back to the clinic if (2) is true.

i was given 5 days worth of Claritin and cough syrup, and i was alright by the third day. i stayed home for the whole 5 days, cooking all my meals, reading my books and watching netflix. i'm someone who tends to stock up the fridge, freezer and larder so i'm good on the food front. it was an exercise of "eat everything in my larder" like one of the threads.

after my 5 days at home, the stuff i did stock up was to take care of two scenarios (1) what if you had a cold or flu, quarantined and had to stay home for up to 14 days in case it might be the conoravirus? (2) what if you were quarantined for a month? so far quarantines are about 14 days but in Italy it was extended.

i stay in an apartment, had water, electricity, internet. so what i needed was primarily food, medication and entertainment. one good point an earlier poster mentioned as the washing machine and dryer. it didn't cross my mind to "prepare" for this as almost every apartment in singapore had a washing machine and many like mine has a dryer. it's inconceivable to most people in Singapore to share a washing machine or dryer due to hygiene concerns.

so the things i stocked up are :
1. vegetables and fruits, eggs for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. frozen veg, fish and  meat for up to a month. rice/pasta for a month of meals. cooking oil, canned tomatoes, spices, soy sauce, salt, sugar, pepper. oats, flaxseed, soy milk and dried fruits for one month of oat smoothie breakfasts.
2. cold, flu meds for 2 weeks.
3. a thermometer to measure my temperature.
4. soap (sanitisers do not wash off the virus) and detergent. it's better to just wash your hands. one post on facebook was quite funny and on point. you should wash your hands as if you had just finished cutting a big bowl of chillis/jalapeños and want to take your contacts off. and touch your face as frequently as you touch your contacts.
5. tea and hot chocolate. cos they are great when you have a cold.
6. washing powder, a bottle of the concentrate lasts for 50 washes which is like a year for me.
7. tissue paper.

these were all the things i actually used up in the 5 days so i figured, these were all i really need for a month.

now that i've stocked up, i also started cooking and eating at home regularly cos food spoils. and i hate wasted food. so that meant a lot less meals out at restaurants. so far the evidence is that people catch it from people they have close contact with (family and friends or in crowds). so meals at home in times like this is an appropriate change. it certainly saved me a lot of money in the last month...

the things i started doing nowadays :
1. no handshakes at work
2. no sharing of food/drinks even with family
3. going off to sneeze/cough and to wash my hands, as people get really uncomfortable if you start coughing or sneezing. it's more likely a cold than covid-19 but no one knows.
4. avoiding crowds.

the public cafes do not use disposables so it's likely that i'm considering whether to bring my own cutlery. a lot of americans bring lunch to work so i guess that is not so much of an issue in the US.

i don't understand the run on toilet paper. you can always have a shower or use water and soap.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: March 07, 2020, 11:54:37 PM »

We use vinegar to clean everything but it doesn't kill influenza, norovirus, etc. You need actually bleach. Or plain old soap.

Yes it does. Doesn't kill every single thing, but it's a good, effective option for cleaning surfaces in a home. Especially if you have pets and children that are sensitive to commercial cleaners.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-01-12/does-vinegar-really-kill-household-germs/8806878

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #475 on: March 08, 2020, 05:20:19 AM »

Yes it does. Doesn't kill every single thing, but it's a good, effective option for cleaning surfaces in a home. Especially if you have pets and children that are sensitive to commercial cleaners.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-01-12/does-vinegar-really-kill-household-germs/8806878

I did read yesterday that vinegar doesn't kill coronavirus.  Seemed like a reputable source but didn't totally verify.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: March 08, 2020, 06:24:05 AM »

I did read yesterday that vinegar doesn't kill coronavirus.  Seemed like a reputable source but didn't totally verify.

It's quite easy to denature viruses. They don't come with capsules and things of the nature of bacterial ones. Viruses are pretty delicate, generally. Anyway, I'm not actually relying on vinegar to kill coronavirus. I'm relying on vinegar to cut through grease and soap scum and other crap that provides a nice place for bacteria and viruses to hang out for a bit. I use it on surfaces like sinks and counters, and in the shower. For toilets I use bleach!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #477 on: March 08, 2020, 07:27:42 AM »

I dug down to primary sources on these claims when I saw them - it's that vinegar isn't proven to kill the COVID-19 coronavirus. Because nobody has officially tested it - so officially, it's not a known method. It has been show to kill influenza, etc.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: March 08, 2020, 11:56:51 AM »
I have yet to understand why there is a run on antibacterial handwashes when COVID19 is …. a virus.  AKA not a bacterium.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #479 on: March 08, 2020, 01:54:09 PM »
[

Brita-style filters are a waste of both money and resources IMO.  Instead, get an under-sink 10" filter.  The initial cost is around $80 for a two-stage, but the replacement filters are $5 and last for 4,000-10,000 gallons (vs 40 gallons per Brita filter).  That's a 100x increase, and the two-stage means they work a hell of a lot better.

If you've got really objectionable water or want to just go overboard with filtering you can get an undersink RO + 3 stage for about $150.

Do you have an undersink filter you'd recommend? 

Because the water filters for my refrigerator cost an arm and a leg.
[/quote]

(Just returning to this thread now)

The filter I installed in our current house is two canisters that hold standard 10” x 2.5” filters attached in series. The parts were all off-the-shelf from my local big-box hardware store, and IIRC the canister holders were ~$25 each, the fittings were another $10 and the two filters each cost $5.

For just a bit more you can buy this as a ready-to-install kit from a number of companies.  One common one is iSpring.  Here’s a link to a 3-stage version: https://www.amazon.com/Ecosoft-Filtration-Healthy-Drinking-Classic/dp/B07CQ7HJVY/ref=sr_1_54_sspa?keywords=I+spring+under+sink+water+two+stage&qid=1583696717&sr=8-54-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySUc3SDZQUFBDT1RMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDA4NTAyM1M1NEZJMFMzQkZXMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTgzNDI1MzlGU0VBUk5IUk1USiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The filters themselves are very cheap - $4 to $7 depending on the filtration/brand.  Most are rated to at least 4,000 gallons, some to 10,000 gallons.  I change ours twice per year; the first is a sediment filter that goes down to 5µicron, the second is a carbon block to improve water taste.  With a 3-stage you could add an additional 1µicron and/or run two carbon filters.

If you’re concerned about removing heavy metals in addition to sediment and taste, go with an RO unit.  Those are $150-200, and typically are 3-stage pre-filters (5 µicron, carbon block and 1µicron) plus the RO membrane).  They’re all designed to fit comfortably under most kitchen sinks. The RO Membranes are around $20, so expect to spend ~$35 every 6 months changing them.... but stil way, way cheaper than bottled water.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #480 on: March 08, 2020, 01:55:09 PM »
I have yet to understand why there is a run on antibacterial handwashes when COVID19 is …. a virus.  AKA not a bacterium.

Because people are uneducated and don't understand the difference beyond "it makes you sick!"

We were out at BJ's this afternoon, and it was no more crowded than a usual day.  They had hand sanitizer and wipes at the door, but they were also still offering free samples (I had heard samples were cancelled, but apparently not here.)  Home Depot was significantly more crowded than usual, which I put down to the nice weather.  Dust masks were sold out though.  Too bad, DH wanted some for an upcoming home project, and a dust mask won't filter out viruses anyway.

We're not stocking up on supplies any more than normal, but in practice that means I could still probably feed us for 2-3 weeks without shopping if we really had to.  We'd miss fresh veggies, though.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #481 on: March 08, 2020, 02:27:09 PM »
I have been stocking up a little bit as the virus is getting closer. I don't personally know anyone who's been infected but I know people who do, so there's only one degree of seperation now. I know several people who work in hospitals where staff was infected. One person cancelled a meal date I had with them because they know I'm vulnerable and they have been in contact with patients who have it. It is concerning how many hospital workers are affected - it seems that at least in our local facilities the disease wasn't immediately recognized which allowed it to spread.

I always have a couple weeks of food in the home and I haven't been stocking up large amounts of food, I just try to buy a little extra of everything that's on my list. I just bought two bags of rice and chickpeas today while I only needed one of each. Grocery stores still deliver but they leave the food on your doorstep now instead of carrying it in.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #482 on: March 08, 2020, 02:29:26 PM »

For just a bit more you can buy this as a ready-to-install kit from a number of companies.  One common one is iSpring.  Here’s a link to a 3-stage version: https://www.amazon.com/Ecosoft-Filtration-Healthy-Drinking-Classic/dp/B07CQ7HJVY

As an aside, you can trim down Amazon links by removing the /ref and anything after it. Example above is the trimmed version of your link.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #483 on: March 08, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »

For just a bit more you can buy this as a ready-to-install kit from a number of companies.  One common one is iSpring.  Here’s a link to a 3-stage version: https://www.amazon.com/Ecosoft-Filtration-Healthy-Drinking-Classic/dp/B07CQ7HJVY

As an aside, you can trim down Amazon links by removing the /ref and anything after it. Example above is the trimmed version of your link.

Didn’t know that. Thanks!

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #484 on: March 08, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
In my area, people should have already been stocked up on bottled water because of earthquakes that will destroy water lines and wells.

I have basically everything I need. I did a final good Costco run a few days ago to stock up on OTC meds and supplements and I think I am good for a long time now.

For fun, I started growing seedlings and should have some radishes in a few weeks.

My daughter's school district has done probably literally everything but cancel the instructional day. I told my daughter it is likely only a matter of days before they do close it at this rate.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #485 on: March 08, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »

Because people are stupid. It should be illegal to add triclosan to products for residential use. All they do is put more antibiotic into the environment for bacteria to develop resistance to. And the idiots who use the stuff are all 'oh, it's just in case, you know.' They feel safer, but it makes us all less safe. Soap on its own is quite effective, and for things beyond soap's powers, bleach or peroxide should be used.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: March 08, 2020, 09:04:15 PM »

Is it antibacterial specifically or soap in general?  Antibacterial soap is effective at washing away viruses, just like regular soap.

Alcohol based hand sanitizers are effective against both viruses and bacteria.

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: March 09, 2020, 05:08:39 PM »
CrustyBadger -- you sound very prepared! One suggestion I have is to add a few comfort items, if you can, based on your knowledge of your family. If I were making one for my daughter, for example, I'd be sure to put in a soft stuffed toy.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #488 on: March 09, 2020, 07:53:16 PM »
I started picking up some extras a week ago during my usual shopping.  Mostly I bought extras of things I will use anyway, but don't usually keep this many on hand.  I also bought stuff I would want if I had a serious cold.

I use distilled water with my cPAP, so picked up 4 gallons instead of 2 and will probably get 4 more on my next trip.  It's always a good idea to have a safe water supply in case of emergency.

I don't usually buy canned soup, but picked up 8 cans in case I get sick.  I crave OJ whenever I have a cold but otherwise don't drink it, so I bought a bottle with a May date.  Tomorrow I plan to pick up cold medicine and rubbing alcohol.  My cold medicine is expired and I was going to get some anyway.  I've been meaning to get alcohol so I can put up Command hooks and keep forgetting.

I stocked enough non-perishable to fill my cabinets and freezer.  They're pretty small, but I had enough to last me at least a month if I'm eating at home all the time.  I'm about due to buy TP (Sam's Club) so I'll get 2 instead of 1 if they have it.  I added some Kleenex with lotion to this month's S&S, because I'm down to one box and always use them if I have a cold.  Amazon had them discounted.

After tomorrow, I'll be staying out of the stores as much as possible.  I usually eat a lot of fresh produce, so this could get old real fast.  Except for the canned soup and OJ this is all stuff I would have bought anyways, just accelerated.

I'm really not concerned for myself, and I don't do panic.  Post-apocalyptic fiction is a favorite reading genre of mine, so I tend to want to be a least somewhat prepared.  (If you're looking for something interesting to read, try The Jakarta Pandemic by Steven Konkoly.)

Also, just want to say I think frugaldrummer's posts were appropriate and well written, and not at all inflammatory.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #489 on: March 09, 2020, 07:53:53 PM »
CrustyBadger -- you sound very prepared! One suggestion I have is to add a few comfort items, if you can, based on your knowledge of your family. If I were making one for my daughter, for example, I'd be sure to put in a soft stuffed toy.

My entertainment strategy is a few board games, puzzles, and decks of cards we have around, and my Kindle (via library for free or pay if I need to) and TV as a distant back-up.  Trapped at home for 2-3 weeks having to read!  That's an introvert's paradise!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #490 on: March 09, 2020, 11:49:36 PM »
Side note: do not drink distilled water. DI strips electrolytes from your system.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #491 on: March 10, 2020, 06:52:34 AM »
A friend shared this link yesterday which I found helpful: the author has a background in infectious diseases and vaccine development.  Trained in the UK but now in the US.  It has a nice mix of the facts about what we do (and don't) know about the virus, and some practical suggestions for things we can all do to help "flatten the curve" so that the peak doesn't overwhelm our healthcare system, resulting in unnecessary deaths and hardship.

https://www.flattenthecurve.com/

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #492 on: March 10, 2020, 06:56:30 AM »
Side note: do not drink distilled water. DI strips electrolytes from your system.

?!?! 
I mean... technically true, but the amount of electrolytes in tap water or bottled water are measured in mg per 100g. Most of the electrolytes in tap water are Ca, Na and P (all <4mg/100g).  So eating a small piece of cheese or a couple of nuts will more than replace all the electrolytes you’ve ‘lots’ by drinking DI.

I don’t drink DI water because it doesn’t taste as good - those trace electrolytes enhance flavor.  But it won’t have an appreciable impact on the electrolytes in your body.
https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80400525/Articles/NDBC32_WaterMin.pdf

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #493 on: March 10, 2020, 07:27:09 AM »

?!?! 
I mean... technically true, but the amount of electrolytes in tap water or bottled water are measured in mg per 100g. Most of the electrolytes in tap water are Ca, Na and P (all <4mg/100g).  So eating a small piece of cheese or a couple of nuts will more than replace all the electrolytes you’ve ‘lots’ by drinking DI.

I don’t drink DI water because it doesn’t taste as good - those trace electrolytes enhance flavor.  But it won’t have an appreciable impact on the electrolytes in your body.

I've heard advice similar to Glenstache's comment, and in fact the article you linked to seems to support this under the "Background" section:

Growing global research interests in the association between cardiovascular (CV) disease (CVD), other chronic diseases, and electrolyte balance with water hardness, underline the importance of expanded, current data on minerals in US water supplies. The known benefits of minerals contributed by water and diet are: 1) calcium and magnesium: bone and CV health; 2) sodium: electrolyte balance; and 3) copper: antioxidant properties, iron utilization, and CV health. Epidemiological research in the US, Europe, and Russia suggests health benefits may be associated with at least 20-30 mg/l calcium and 10 mg/l magnesium in drinking water1.  Hard water contributes calcium and sometimes magnesium to the diet but the concentrations and relative amounts vary widely according to levels of water consumption through drinking and food preparation and the sources of water. Naturally occurring nutrients with potential health benefits may be removed with water treatment; some may be added or removed deliberately (e.g., by membrane filtration or softening).

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: March 10, 2020, 05:19:55 PM »

?!?! 

Depends how much you drink. You can drink enough water that you actually dilute your blood and fluids to the point that your cells can no longer operate well. It's called water intoxication. It's why they started adding salt to beer...... and that pretty much tells you all you need to know about the human species!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #495 on: March 10, 2020, 06:06:08 PM »

?!?! 

Depends how much you drink. You can drink enough water that you actually dilute your blood and fluids to the point that your cells can no longer operate well. It's called water intoxication. It's why they started adding salt to beer...... and that pretty much tells you all you need to know about the human species!

I’m familiar with water intoxication, but that can occur from drinking regular ‘ol tap water (or bottled water) as well.  It’s the quantity of total water you drink, not the act of drinking DI instead of tap. The difference between the two is minuscule. You will literally get back the difference in lost electrolytes from a liter of DI by eating a couple of roasted nuts, or a single bite of a banana.  A banana’s got 100x the phosphorus and magnesium found in tap water.  A serving of nuts has 150x the calcium and sodium.

I agree that DI isn’t the best thing to drink.  But not because of the loss of electrolytes over normal water.  If there was no other safe option I’d recommend drinking DI over soda or juice for most people.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: March 10, 2020, 06:14:58 PM »

?!?! 

I’m familiar with water intoxication, but that can occur from drinking regular ‘ol tap water (or bottled water) as well.  It’s the quantity of total water you drink, not the act of drinking DI instead of tap. The difference between the two is minuscule. You will literally get back the difference in lost electrolytes from a liter of DI by eating a couple of roasted nuts, or a single bite of a banana.  A banana’s got 100x the phosphorus and magnesium found in tap water.  A serving of nuts has 150x the calcium and sodium.

I agree that DI isn’t the best thing to drink.  But not because of the loss of electrolytes over normal water.  If there was no other safe option I’d recommend drinking DI over soda or juice for most people.

Yeah I was ignoring the DI thing because I think it's rubbish...... I'll opt for water over any other cold drink, and I don't really give a crap if it's still, sparkling, spring water, filtered or distilled. I'll pass on bad tasting chlorinated tap water though.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #497 on: March 11, 2020, 06:11:08 AM »

?!?! 

This reminds me of a university org chem lab partner I once had who legitimately thought she would die if she drank even a single sip of DI water.
LMFAO

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #498 on: March 11, 2020, 06:41:48 AM »

?!?! 

This reminds me of a university org chem lab partner I once had who legitimately thought she would die if she drank even a single sip of DI water.
LMFAO

Funny story - when I was fresh out of college I was a scientific tech in a lab that over treated their drinking water.  Like you could smell the chlorine anytime someone turned on the tap, and coming through New England granite it was hard as hard can be.

Anyway, as the lowest person on the lab pecking order it was my ‘job’ to brew the cofffee each morning, and was warned against using the tap water because i) it made the coffee taste like chemically-laced sludge and ii) it wrecked the coffee machine with deposits.  For a while I dutifully bought gallon jugs of spring water from the grocery store each week.  Then I got sick of paying for them and lugging them around, so I switched to refilling out jugs with DIW for a while, but the only DIW was in the next building over. Then one day they needed to shut off the DIW for servicing and I looked for the next alternative.... and thought of our MilliQ water.  Worked great! ...until someone in the genetics lab found out and I got a formal reprimand. 

Ironically, as I was being reprimanded the lab manager was sitting across the desk from me drinking his morning coffee which I had made.  From MilliQ.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: March 11, 2020, 07:29:23 AM »

?!?! 

LMFAO

Funny story - when I was fresh out of college I was a scientific tech in a lab that over treated their drinking water.  Like you could smell the chlorine anytime someone turned on the tap, and coming through New England granite it was hard as hard can be.

Anyway, as the lowest person on the lab pecking order it was my ‘job’ to brew the cofffee each morning, and was warned against using the tap water because i) it made the coffee taste like chemically-laced sludge and ii) it wrecked the coffee machine with deposits.  For a while I dutifully bought gallon jugs of spring water from the grocery store each week.  Then I got sick of paying for them and lugging them around, so I switched to refilling out jugs with DIW for a while, but the only DIW was in the next building over. Then one day they needed to shut off the DIW for servicing and I looked for the next alternative.... and thought of our MilliQ water.  Worked great! ...until someone in the genetics lab found out and I got a formal reprimand. 

Ironically, as I was being reprimanded the lab manager was sitting across the desk from me drinking his morning coffee which I had made.  From MilliQ.

Yeah, one of my former bosses used to fill his mug from the MilliQ tap and then would heat up the water in the microwave that we used to melt agarose for electrophoresis gels (i.e., the potentially ethidium bromide-contaminated microwave). I didn’t care about the MilliQ, but there would have been hell to pay if OSHA caught him using that microwave for consumables. He finally wised up (after a bit of shaming from his lab staff) and started getting hot water from the department office.