Author Topic: Cordless Lawn Mower recommendations  (Read 1996 times)

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
Cordless Lawn Mower recommendations
« on: March 02, 2021, 06:52:24 AM »
I've had a Greenworks corded lawnmower for ages (maybe 7 years) and it works great but we moved last year and our new landscaping is not at all conducive to a cord.  It's beautiful, though, so we don't really want to change it.  Thus, I'd like to get a cordless mower.  Ideally, I'd like one that isn't self propelled, and lasts 45 minutes or more.  At 45 minutes, I'd probably get a second battery, so I also don't want the batteries to be too expensive.  My yard is probably ~ 1/4 acre, and I suspect it might take 45 minutes to an hour to mow.  I've only ever used a corded mower, though, and that took about 2 hours.  Finally, I'm in Canada, which may limit my selection somewhat (although most stuff seems to be available).

So far, I'm considering this Ryobi push mower: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi-20-inch-40v-brushless-lithium-ion-cordless-walk-behind-push-lawn-mower-with-6-0ah-battery/1001487536

It looks like the mower is $400 CAD and the battery is ~$200 CAD (but if the runtime is truly an hour, I wouldn't need to purchase a battery).  I also like the 5 year warranty on the mower and 3 year warranty on the battery.

I was also looking at one from Greenworks but 1) it costs more ($429 CAD) and 2) the battery is smaller so I'd likely need a second: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/greenworks-40v-lithium-cordless-lawn-mower-19-in-2994884p.html#srp

There's also one from Works which is on clearance ($359 CAD) but I'd probably need a second pair of batteries: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/worx-40v-5ah-3-in-1-cordless-push-lawn-mower-20-in-0601321p.html#srp

I'd be grateful for any experience with the above, or alternative recommendations.  And I realize that the most mustachean thing would be to keep using my corded mower, but I'd like to enjoy mowing again, and the cord is really frustrating (and time consuming) with our new landscaping.  I recognize that this is an extravagance, and I'd like to do it in the wisest way possible (in terms of getting something that will work well, last, and be reasonably priced.  Thanks!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cordless Lawn Mower recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:04:46 AM »
For 45 minutes of non-stop mowing, I'd get one with a gasoline motor.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:06:46 AM »
My house came with an Ego mower - it's a smaller single battery one and bogs down if the grass is too long, but otherwise its been fine.  I imagine the dual battery ones are majestic but they're abhorrently expensive too.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 07:10:16 AM »

I'm OK with stopping to switch batteries midway.  I'm not really interested in a gas mower.  Thanks!

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:52:44 AM »

@Fishindude - I want to thank you for this comment.  I've been thinking about it and, really, the reason why I want a cordless lawn mower is "ease of maintenance".  When I look at that honestly, though, I'm just intimidated by gas engines (I've never maintained one).  What better way to start than with a lawnmower?  It doesn't get much lower stakes than that, especially when I've got a perfectly functional corded one as a backup.  So I think I'm going to get a gas one after all.  Any recommendations? :)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »

@Fishindude - I want to thank you for this comment.  I've been thinking about it and, really, the reason why I want a cordless lawn mower is "ease of maintenance".  When I look at that honestly, though, I'm just intimidated by gas engines (I've never maintained one).  What better way to start than with a lawnmower?  It doesn't get much lower stakes than that, especially when I've got a perfectly functional corded one as a backup.  So I think I'm going to get a gas one after all.  Any recommendations? :)
Remember to winterize it, and beware the "one more week" effect. I had few problems w/ gas mowers during the season, but every Fall I'd hold off winterizing in case the grass needed mowing one more time; next thing I knew, it was Spring and I had a mower that wouldn't start because it had sat full of unstable gas all winter.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 09:00:07 AM »
I'd go electric if I were you- I have a similar ryobi mower, but it's an older model with a wider battery tray and space for two batteries. One slot is just a holder, so the idea is that you simply switch batteries when needed. I love it! A single 5 ah 40v battery lasts me 80% of the mowing time, so if I do the front one day and the back the next, there is no battery switch needed, but it's not a problem at all if I do need to switch.

I also bought it on graigslist, with a compatible weedwacker/brushsaw, as well as a chainsaw. The whole system works well, and I have three batteries- and I think I only spent about $400 total for all 3 tools plus batteries. I am sure the batteries aren't as long lasting as they were originally, but I had no complaints with used tools. And I am VERY happy to not have to store a gas machine, as I have a tiny garage.

That, and gas mowers are absolutely awful as far as emissions, so I am happy to use all electric. CO2 is part of it, but even modern mowers are bad for other pollutants compared to cars that have space for large emissions systems. The low noise level is nice for the neighbors, there are PLENTY of benefits to electric. No oil changes either, or filling up gas cans, which is nice. (Especially as we rarely need to fuel our cars) All the other maintenance is similar, as it is just cleaning and sharpening. Lastly, we went from having gas+corded to a single all electric model, which saved even more space.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »
I am a gearhead but I vastly prefer electric tools whenever possible.  No oil changes, no carburetors, no spark plugs, no fuel to go bad...they're just SO simple. And quiet. So deliciously quiet.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »
We got a Fiskars reel mower that is really fabulous.  It takes a little bit of muscle on a hill but cuts so nicely and our yard is mostly flat. The mechanism is really smooth. Easy to push. Easy to clean and maintain. Sharp cutting. We use our corded weed eater for edges.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »
Ha, OK, now I'm leaning back towards my original plan.  Thanks for the comments!

I like the look of the Ryobi.  And I think I'd start with just one battery, and get a second if I ended up needing it.  I work from home, though, so splitting mowing over two days is no big deal.

And I've had a reel mower before, but I didn't find it worked very well.  That was in a very different place (Florida) so perhaps it would work better here.  Our yard here has some pretty steep parts, so I'm not sure it's a great fit.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 09:28:58 AM »
As you probably already noticed, the tool part of battery powered electric tools tend to be reasonably priced while the battery part costs an arm and a leg. My suggestion would be to pick a battery powered lawnmower that is part of a good line of tools. For example, the EGO tools all seem to be based on 56V so the battery you get for your lawn will probably work in a chainsaw or string trimmer you buy from them in a few years. In contrast, WORX uses 20V, 40V, and 56V on their tools, so it's anyone's guess as to which lines they will continue to make in few years.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 09:30:49 AM »
As you probably already noticed, the tool part of battery powered electric tools tend to be reasonably priced while the battery part costs an arm and a leg. My suggestion would be to pick a battery powered lawnmower that is part of a good line of tools. For example, the EGO tools all seem to be based on 56V so the battery you get for your lawn will probably work in a chainsaw or string trimmer you buy from them in a few years. In contrast, WORX uses 20V, 40V, and 56V on their tools, so it's anyone's guess as to which lines they will continue to make in few years.

Ah yes, this is important.

I have Ego 56v for lawn tools (except chainsaws) and DeWalt for everything else due to their Flexvolt line (120v cordless miter saw, 60v circular saw, 60v chainsaw, 60v angle grinder, plus all the 20v tools).  It covers everything I need nicely.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 09:41:38 AM »

I have Ego 56v for lawn tools (except chainsaws) and DeWalt for everything else due to their Flexvolt line (120v cordless miter saw, 60v circular saw, 60v chainsaw, 60v angle grinder, plus all the 20v tools).  It covers everything I need nicely.

Thanks both -- It looks like Ryobi has two playforms -- 40v and 18v (aka One+) and it looks like there are mowers in both.  My initial lean is towards the 40v (I like the single 6a battery) but it does seem like One+ is probably the future.  Do you have any opinion as to whether Ryobi would continue to support the 40v?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »

Thanks both -- It looks like Ryobi has two playforms -- 40v and 18v (aka One+) and it looks like there are mowers in both.  My initial lean is towards the 40v (I like the single 6a battery) but it does seem like One+ is probably the future.  Do you have any opinion as to whether Ryobi would continue to support the 40v?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IKTYBlW0l0

Per that review, a 1/2 acre lawn takes eight battery changes with the Ryobi 18v mower.   DeWalt used to have a 40v line as well but they appear to have discontinued it - I have not heard any rumors about Ryobi, so I don't know either way.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »

Per that review, a 1/2 acre lawn takes eight battery changes with the Ryobi 18v mower.   DeWalt used to have a 40v line as well but they appear to have discontinued it - I have not heard any rumors about Ryobi, so I don't know either way.

Thanks!  Looks like I'll go with 40v.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 11:18:27 AM »
I have a Greenworks 40v with a 4ah and 2ah battery and have been using it for three seasons, so far. It works pretty well and I can usually do my .25-ish acre lot on a single charge if I keep up with it during the peak season. If I fall behind in mowing then I'll have to stop and recharge at some point. Greenworks has a nice trimmer with the same battery that I want but my Stihl trimmer won't die.

The biggest thing I like is the lack of noise. I have to wear earplugs with my gas lawn equipment but the electric just makes a mild fan noise that is much more tolerable. Not having to deal with the seasonal start-up/shutdown tasks, the random days when things just don't want to start for no good reason, and changing oil and plugs is a nice side benefit.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 11:27:13 AM »

I would also be concerned about how hot the batteries are getting in that mover. Lithium-ion cells degrade rather quickly above 160F, so you might not get many cycles out of them.

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 11:53:55 AM »
Come on, what site is this, get a push reel mower! https://www.mowersdirect.com/Earthwise-515-18-Lawn-Mower/p14631.html

Or a goat

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 12:21:38 PM »
I've used this battery-electric mower for three years. My property is a tenth of an acre, plus it's a corner lot so there's a planting strip in the public right-of-way on two sides that I have to mow as well. I can easily do the whole thing on one charge. Sometimes I forget to charge the battery and am able to get most of the way through a second mowing a week later before it dies.

GoCubsGo

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 01:10:20 PM »
My neighbor has an EGO, my only concern is you really have to keep up on the cutting (he's had issues with this). If the grass is a little long or wet (spring), I'd probably think hard about it for that size yard.

I have a little over a 1/4 acre and I've had the same Toro gas mower for 15 years. 1 oil change a year and I've changed the air filter once ever.  I just add a little fuel stabilizer the last cut of the season and run it dry.  It literally starts first or second pull every time.  I wouldn't be intimidated by a solid, brand name mower.  They are super straight forward.

I've had multiple times due to a week straight of spring or fall rain that the grass grew 4 inches and was tough to cut even with the gas mower.  I think an electric would really struggle with that heavy of a load.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 01:24:07 PM »

Maintenance? Gas mowers require maintenance? HAHAHAHAHA

No seriously, I change the oil once a year, in spring. My dad changed the spark plug last year for me, so that should be good for another year, or until it doesn't start for me. Otherwise anything you have to do for a gas mower you probably have to do for an electric one. Cleaning, sharpening blades, etc.

My mower is a basic, relatively cheap mulching Craftsman I got from Sears. It's basically identical to what you could get 30 years ago. I abuse it horribly. No really, I do. I will probably have to replace the blade with all the rocks I keep hitting. It's fine.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 01:45:27 PM »

When researching before buying my 40v, I saw really concerning comments such as the One+ mower MELTING its battery slot, etc. That can't be good for the battery- lots of head and pulling too much from a small battery. Large tools run a lot better on the 40v system. I think that ryobi will keep up the 40v system for quite a while, as it just doesn't make sense for large high power tools.

I don't have any small cordless ryobi tools, I generally use corded- but I love the 40v system for where cordless actually is helpful for me! I also bought a brand new adapter to have an AC outlet from the 40v battery packs, which should be nice in case of a power outage, and we have used it to recharge a laptop when traveling. The large batteries stay cooler than smaller options, as you are putting less relative stress on them vs smaller lower voltage ones.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 03:25:38 PM »

No seriously, I change the oil once a year, in spring. My dad changed the spark plug last year for me, so that should be good for another year, or until it doesn't start for me. Otherwise anything you have to do for a gas mower you probably have to do for an electric one. Cleaning, sharpening blades, etc.

My mower is a basic, relatively cheap mulching Craftsman I got from Sears. It's basically identical to what you could get 30 years ago. I abuse it horribly. No really, I do. I will probably have to replace the blade with all the rocks I keep hitting. It's fine.

lol, so annual oil change, spark plug change, winterizing (if you don't do this you'll need to rebuild or replace your carburetor eventually)...I think that counts as maintenance. :P

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback.  I really appreciate all of the different ideas.  I think I'm going to start with the Ryobi 40v mower, but I'm open to selling / returning it if I find recharging it to be too much hassle and getting a gas mower.  I live in Nova Scotia, though, so I'm not too worried about the rapid grass growth -- last summer (our first here) I mowed every two weeks or so -- a big difference from Florida!

And I do appreciate the suggestion of the reel mower, but my previous experience with that was lousy, and we have several steep areas in our yard.

Fundamentally, I just want to enjoy mowing again, and since I work from home if I break it up over a couple of days it isn't a big deal.  Especially because it won't involve schlepping 150 feet of extension cord, which is what I did last summer.  And I fully admit that I might look at this differently if we weren't basically FI, with me still working full-time.  I'm not going to quit / downshift until we have at least another year of living here under our belts, though.  Thanks again!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 05:28:00 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback.  I really appreciate all of the different ideas.  I think I'm going to start with the Ryobi 40v mower, but I'm open to selling / returning it if I find recharging it to be too much hassle and getting a gas mower.  I live in Nova Scotia, though, so I'm not too worried about the rapid grass growth -- last summer (our first here) I mowed every two weeks or so -- a big difference from Florida!

And I do appreciate the suggestion of the reel mower, but my previous experience with that was lousy, and we have several steep areas in our yard.

Fundamentally, I just want to enjoy mowing again, and since I work from home if I break it up over a couple of days it isn't a big deal.  Especially because it won't involve schlepping 150 feet of extension cord, which is what I did last summer.  And I fully admit that I might look at this differently if we weren't basically FI, with me still working full-time.  I'm not going to quit / downshift until we have at least another year of living here under our belts, though.  Thanks again!

I’ve got an Ego mower and it’s been fantastic. My plot is just under a quarter-acre and I manage with one charge on a 7.5amp battery with lots of power left over.

BUt your comment about wanting to “enjoy mowing again” made me think of the reasons I went with the battery mower over a gasoline engine.  I find so much more enjoyable to use the battery mower than a gasoline model.
1) much lighter and easier to maneuver
2) So much quieter.  Very easy to have a conversation, or just be outside when someone else is mowing nearby.
3) It folds up and can be stored vertically
4) No inhaling exhaust fumes as i stand right behind a 2-stroke engine
5) no petrol or oil can to store and refill. No winterizing whatsoever

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »
We have a reel and an Ego. The reel has an even worse time with sticks/long grass/wet than the Ego does. I don't know that DW has ever tried to mow the whole thing with the Ego, but I'd think it would be fine. We're on 1/4 acre, although the driveway and house are pretty large (1-wide entry, but 3-wide at the back.. to accommodate the shift to get cars in the garage. Wacky cul-de-sac-triangle-lot for the win?)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 08:13:16 PM »
@FLBiker, did you decide on the Ryobi self-propelled one?

I just moved into a house with a smaller yard, so I am also thinking about an electric lawn mower.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 01:00:03 AM »
Battery operated Stihl. I mow acres with mine. Big battery  (AP 300s in Australia) gives me about an hour and a half.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 05:30:57 AM »
@FLBiker, did you decide on the Ryobi self-propelled one?

I just moved into a house with a smaller yard, so I am also thinking about an electric lawn mower.

No, I'm not interested in self-propelled.  I don't mind the exercise and I feel like a push mower has less parts that can break (and, presumably, less draw on the battery).

Battery operated Stihl. I mow acres with mine. Big battery  (AP 300s in Australia) gives me about an hour and a half.

Interesting, I'll keep this in mind.  I haven't seen Stihl locally (and I'd like to get it locally just in case I need to use the warranty).  We've got Ryobi, Skil, SunJoe, Greenworks, Works, Yard Works, Mastercraft, Husquvarna and probably some others.  I haven't seen Stihl, and I'm not 100% sure about EGO (I *think* I might have found a place with a very limited selection).  For now, I'm just watching the flyers. :)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 07:53:01 AM »
FWIW - with promotions my EGo (with battery) cost almost exactly the same as the standard gas powered model. Which made the decision pretty easy for me

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 08:54:35 AM »

lol, so annual oil change, spark plug change, winterizing (if you don't do this you'll need to rebuild or replace your carburetor eventually)...I think that counts as maintenance. :P

Winterizing? Nope, don't do that. (I told you, I abuse the crap out of this mower)

I do have other things that are battery operated, Ryobi of some sort. They're new and haven't used them yet but I've heard good things about them. I haven't heard that an electric mower would be able to cut through my backyard in spring. I'm not willing to do that, and I have a functional mower which I will continue to use until I kill it.

(edited at weird time)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:15:34 AM by Sibley »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 09:01:44 AM »

Winterizing? What's that? (I told you, I abuse the crap out of this mower)

Either draining the carburetor or using stabilized fuel - if your carburetor hasn't gummed up and become useless, you've been lucky :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!