Author Topic: Cord Blood Banking  (Read 4850 times)

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
Cord Blood Banking
« on: August 23, 2015, 05:55:38 PM »
Are there any medical Mustachians who have a strong opinion on private cord blood banking? Our hospital used to have a public bank donation option but funding ran out so if we want to bank the cord blood we have to do it privately. I researched the issue four years ago and decided to use the public option but that isn't available anymore. Thanks!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Cord Blood Banking
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:34:23 PM »
We looked into it briefly and came to the decision that the blood in the cord is supposed to end up in the baby, and if you delay clamping for a few minutes, it ends up in the baby.  So we did that.  And, sure enough, after some period of time (I'm really not sure how much), the cord went white and all the blood was over in kiddo.  So we didn't bank any of it or donate it.  So far, kiddo is doing just fine!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
I won't pay to bank. I plan to ask to delay clamping but I know some doctors won't. After that, we will donate.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
I would absolutely suggest delayed cord clamping. Studies are overwhelmingly in support of it- you can tell the difference even a year out from birth in iron and hemoglobin status.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:18:27 PM »
I would absolutely suggest delayed cord clamping. Studies are overwhelmingly in support of it- you can tell the difference even a year out from birth in iron and hemoglobin status.

Wow... I had no idea it made an impact that far out.  We asked our midwives about it, and they pretty much said, "No, you don't want to do that - delay clamping, let the blood get into the baby, that's how it's supposed to work."  So we followed their advice, since they literally do this every day. :)

And if you come from a history of fairly normal births, and are medically standard, I strongly, strongly suggest looking at midwives/birth centers for giving birth.  It's such a radically different experience from what our parents/grandparents/great grandparents did.  And about identical to what our great-great grandparents did.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:29:19 PM »
There's no proven benefit for cord blood banking, especially given the expenses associated with it. Delayed clamping has been shown to be beneficial to the infant, how long the benefits last and what that means in non-medical terms is being investigated.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »

A few articles for those interested:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17374818
http://academicobgyn.com/2009/12/03/delayed-cord-clamping-should-be-standard-practice-in-obstetrics/
http://academicobgyn.com/2011/12/14/an-update-on-delayed-cord-clamping-and-thoughts-on-internet-expertise/#more-1139

The last two are blog posts, but contain many study links/citations and are written by an OB.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »
"Delayed" cord clamping used to be standard practice, and it's the way to go.

So, why would you need cord blood stored anyway? Some genetic malady curable with stem cells? If so, the baby's own stem cells won't work, because they have the genetic malady.

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »
DW is obg.  She is big proponent of donating cord blood for general use.  Not so much for one's own use--odds are stacked against you.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »
So... Measurable negative for the child being born in hope of some nebulous good for someone, sometime, maybe? Pass...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 05:12:29 AM »
So... Measurable negative for the child being born in hope of some nebulous good for someone, sometime, maybe? Pass...

And despite their claims to the contrary, the cord blood banking companies apparently don't really want donations. Several different companies had fliers in our OB's office, all claimed to have free donation kits onsite.

None actually did. Despite the office being physically part of the hospital complex (ie, you don't even walk outside to go from his office to L&D)

It appears to me that these cord banking companies primarily want you to pay $$$ for collection, then $$ annually for storage.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 06:50:15 AM »

It appears to me that these cord banking companies primarily want you to pay $$$ for collection, then $$ annually for storage.

The ones around here that take donations do not charge anything for it.

It is the ones that save it only for your own use that charge $$$- and yeah, they are making a lot of money off of parental fears.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 07:54:55 AM »
Thank you - this is very helpful! We took two full day birthing classes (one in 2011 and one in 2015) and the nurse did not mention banking or delayed cord clamping. I will ask my wife to discuss delayed cord clamping with her doctor at her next appointment.