Author Topic: Cooling an Awkward Studio Apartment  (Read 5814 times)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
Cooling an Awkward Studio Apartment
« on: May 16, 2014, 09:29:55 AM »
(Did some searching in the forums but couldn't find a good answer to suit my specific situation.)

I live in a first floor, studio apartment that is very well insulated and not at all drafty.  The space is roughly 20'x25' with the main entrance door at the back and a sliding glass door directly across the room hat leads out to my lanai (screened patio).

The problem: it's nearly impossible to get cross-ventilation unless I leave my entrance door wide open.  The entrance door doesn't have a screen or storm door.  With it hanging open, lizards run in and my sketchy neighbors stare into my house when they walk by.  I'm trying not to use the AC but have resorted to running the fan on the central air system but not the compressor/cooling bits.

I'd really like suggestions on how best to circulate the air with a floor fan or two and only the patio door open.

Thanks for your help!

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cooling an Awkward Studio Apartment
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
The simplest solution is probably a box fan in the patio doorway.  Blow the air out or in depending on where you are, the makeup air will be drawn in or out as needed.

A better solution would be to invest in a locking steel screen door for the main entrance, the kind with rigid heavy duty screening material.  I'm sure you've seen them around.  It screws to the door frame, and usually are dense enough to block casual viewing but are great for airflow.

If yours is a rental ask your landlord about it.  They may think it's a great idea and provide it, or buy it if you install, etc.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:51:18 AM »
I've made the suggestion about the screen doors to the landlord but I live in a big community of about 200 units.  They won't consider the idea because, due to uniformity, they would need to install one on every unit.

When using a box fan, the idea is to vent the hot air out right?  I've tried that with limited success.  Do you think an additional fan positioned some way inside might help circulate the air?  I think there's some ventilation mojo I'm lacking because I fiddle around with the one fan I have a lot but never get the results. Ha ha.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »
I had a similar situation, but it was only a room and not a studio.....and there weren't any lizards, just people I didn't want to see in my room.  I put the box fan in the sliding door blowing out, then I used cardboard to cover the rest of the opening.  Not air tight, but it will make the fan more effective at creating flow in your apartment.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Cromacster.  I'll try blocking the rest of the door opening - that never occurred to me. 

As for the lizards - we have thousands of little anole lizards in central Florida.  They're massively entertaining outside but a pain in the ass once they get inside.  Fast little buggers. :-)

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:23:13 PM »
Thanks Milspecstache!  That's an excellent idea:  I'll get cross ventilation and a little bit of privacy.

You know MMM is affecting you when your first thought after looking up a product is "hmm, I bet I could make that."  I did a little google search and found http://www.scissorsandspice.com/2011/06/scissors-craft-make-your-own-screen.html   I think I might add a second tension rod at the bottom for stability against strong breezes.

This DIY version has the added benefit of being rolled away when I'm not actually in the apartment.  That will help keep the management off my back.

I'll report back with an update. :-)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
Will that be secure enough to keep the lizards out? Seems like they would be especially good at slipping in through small gaps?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
Will that be secure enough to keep the lizards out? Seems like they would be especially good at slipping in through small gaps?
I suggest you get lead weights (they sell them by the yard for curtains), and attach them at the bottom. This will stop the screen from blowing in the wind. Actually, you may need something heavier than the weights - make it longer, so the bottom folds along the floor for a few inches, and cover that part in fabric and place bricks along the bottom. That might keep it taut and the lizards out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!