Author Topic: Cool Job No Future vs. A Real Career  (Read 10888 times)

AlanSoya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cool Job No Future vs. A Real Career
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:39:08 PM »
Little dilemma and looking for perspective if people don't mind?!

I got a cool job, essentially I work in an MMA gym and my days are a mix of teaching 1-2-1 with grown-ups (some huge lumps and pro-fighters through to mums who just want to lose weight) and kids. And I work with my coach and my friends.

Downside is I break even most months and on a good month save an extra £100 and whack £150 into investments (Vanguard).

The money is average (£30K ish) and the pension benefits are zero. I'm 37 so in theory I've got to work another 30 years. It's a very physical job and my shoulder aches a little as I type. I've only been doing the job 4 years and have to spend £150 per month commuting.

Moving closer isn't an option because my wife works in the city we live in and can't drive. There is no work for her ATM in the town I work and neither would I want to take her away from her friends. Maybe I shouldn't discount this option though?!

My worry is what I'll do as I get older and what I'll do to retire. I don't want to make the mistake that I'll never be old enough to retire either... my old man is 62 and thought he'd be dead in his 50s like his Dad. Thankfully, that's not happened.

The alternative is to go back to the real world where I worked in a hospital. Earn the same (to start with) and work up to about £35K. The pension contribution from me would have to be 9.3% which is less than I'm doing saving so that's no problem. And the job pays 14% - a fuck-ton and is about 10 hours less work per week than I currently do. The is progression, which means more money (up to low £40K)

I'm not sure what to do.

Cool job that I might not be able to do in 10, 20 and definitely 30 years with zero retirement benefits at the moment.

But I like it.

Or go back to what I knew, suck it up, be the man and jump back on the usual pay scale. Save my commuting money (that'll go into a Vanguard fund as well).

Mmm... decisions decisions.

I know what I'd like to do (stay and help work to build the gym up) but it's different to what I should do.

Cheers,

Alan

P.S. I have a 2 year old daughter and a second one on the way in 4 months

Miskatonic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cool Job No Future vs. A Real Career
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »
Could you be a personal trainer who specializes in MMA as a side hustle while working the more pragmatic hospital job?

Fishinshawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »
suck it up, go back to the hospital. Do the MMA thing if you want as a side gig on your days off your regular job.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:42:13 PM »
I'm not a follow your bliss person.  I would not recommend you take a job you will hate.  Life is too short for that.  But you don't say that you would be miserable in the hospital job and it would be fewer hours. 

I think once you decide to have kids, you have an obligation to act like an adult.

AlanSoya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:05:10 PM »
Nice one, thank you guys.

My heart says stay but my head says go. For the record I could do the PT and MMA stuff as a side-hustle but to be honest I think I'd rather actually do some training enjoy focusing on myself rather than other people for a change.

I've an interview tomorrow morning so first I have to see if ye olde hospital make me a job offer first (and how much cashola).

If I get turned down they've made my mind up for me. Gotta commit and make the gym job work better.

If I get a job offer, then there's a decision to be made (or negotiated)...

It might risk a coin toss... best of 3... 5... 7... ;-)

Cheers guys, appreciate your time

Alan

Alan

Fred2004

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 04:24:20 PM »
suck it up, go back to the hospital. Do the MMA thing if you want as a side gig on your days off your regular job.

x2

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:45:07 PM »
Is there a way that you can turn your MMA gig into something that does not require you to do so much 'hands on'?  And something perhaps more scale-able?  For example, MMA training video series, MMA management/promotion, MMA teacher training? 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
Is there a way that you can turn your MMA gig into something that does not require you to do so much 'hands on'?  And something perhaps more scale-able?  For example, MMA training video series, MMA management/promotion, MMA teacher training?

I like this "out of the box" thinking!

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »

I like this "out of the box" thinking!

To continue with this line of thinking look at the Gracie Acadamy/University.  These brother know how to market, expand consumer base, add value and monetize.  They have youtube videos, camps, bully classes, self-defense programs, t-shirts, work-shops, tournaments, ect.  You can learn a thing or two from them.  Take your passion and apply some business principles.  I don't mean you have to scam people out of their money to make a good living, but provide real value that appeals to more people and do it in a way that allows you to do it even if you cannot physically do it yourself.

https://gracieuniversity.com/

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 02:10:37 AM »
You say that what you want to do is stay at your current gym and help build the business up.  But if you don't own part of the business, by doing this you would be giving your money away to the person who does.  So I would go to your current boss and talk to him about bonuses and profit sharing and earning part of the business or setting up your own business at that gym and owning the value of what you do.

And if your current boss isn't interested in sharing the profits of your hard work, look at going out on your own in the town you live in, perhaps starting part-time and working up your own business.

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 08:14:36 AM »
You say that what you want to do is stay at your current gym and help build the business up.  But if you don't own part of the business, by doing this you would be giving your money away to the person who does.  So I would go to your current boss and talk to him about bonuses and profit sharing and earning part of the business or setting up your own business at that gym and owning the value of what you do.

And if your current boss isn't interested in sharing the profits of your hard work, look at going out on your own in the town you live in, perhaps starting part-time and working up your own business.

Exactly! This may be a false dichotomy. You make it sound like there are 2 choices: 1. dead-end job teaching MMA or 2. working at a job you hate. You can take on personal training clients, open your own gym, etc. Not sure if it's realistic in your personal situation, but there may be better options.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 02:28:14 PM »
I agree with the other folks who are advocating for a different path. Stay with what you love, but look at earning more per hour.

For example, 1 individual client pays $40/hour for a 50 min lesson
OR
You start a "Moms & MMA" class that you have 10 students each pay $15 per 50min class ($150 total). Have a few one-on-one slots reserved for the small percentage who are willing to pay $60/hour for a lesson. Keep enough of your current clients so you still feel like you're working with top-notch talent.

Find large employers who would be willing to let you teach a class immediately before/after the work day.

Create niche classes:
"Seeking Soft Middle-aged men who want to be in better shape than when they were in their 20s!"
"Curious about MMA, but don't want to get your pretty boy face pulverized? Try this class!"
"Post-baby workouts for new mothers - nothing is more efficient at losing that baby fat!"
"Fight club without the hallucinations!"

I obviously don't know what I'm talking about - but I'm sure you can come up with some great ones. Who are your current clients? Are their more people like them? Could you create a customized workout/training protocol? People love to work out with people who have similar goals.

Best of luck.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »
Pick up a side hustle for extra cash?

AlanSoya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 05:02:29 AM »
Thank you very much Mustachian's... and it doesn't really matter if you do or don't know what you're talking about (Smokystache) I just wanted some other points of view. It's good to bounce things around, and ultimately it's down to me to make the decision (and take responsibility for that decision).

I obviously don't know what I'm talking about - but I'm sure you can come up with some great ones. Who are your current clients? Are their more people like them? Could you create a customized workout/training protocol? People love to work out with people who have similar goals.

It's all good sh1t

So thank you

Alan

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 07:21:10 AM »

Seconded.