Author Topic: Convince the DW to get an EV  (Read 1612 times)

Beach_Stache

• Stubble
    • This Frugal Father
Convince the DW to get an EV
« on: July 06, 2019, 05:28:16 AM »
I would love to get an EV, I was thinking about a used 2015 Nissan Leaf that are pretty cheap but have a range of maybe 120 max on a charge.  This would handle 95% of my driving as everything is local, however once/quarter I take a trip for work about 220 miles one way which I would either have to find a charging station exactly mid-way or swap cars with her (mini-van) for my trip.  We have 3 boys (10, 8, 5) and while I have all 3 in my 2013 Corolla and it works, she doesn't want to do the same with a Nissan Leaf while I'm away.  I normally subscribe to the "happy wife, happy life" philosophy, but would love to have an EV and at a reasonable price.  Side note is that my Corolla is great, it has 160k miles on it and I really haven't had problems with it.  The last few months though when I go in reverse at a tight angle it almost seems like there is an obstruction in the way or something, so this may be the start of problems to come.  Should I just wait until the Corolla dies and then deal with it, get a used EV and keep both cars or junk the corolla and get an EV, or just get a different used gas car?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Convince the DW to get an EV
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 06:10:33 AM »
So your wife's only concern is putting 3 kids inside it for a few days?  Have you actually ridden in a Leaf together?  They are certainly capable of handling an adult and three kids, as long as you're not also carting around bulky items like musical instraments or hockey pads.  3 kids + 3 backpacks = no problem.

I also don't think an occasional 220 mile trip in the leaf is that complicated/difficult. As you said, you just need to make a stop roughly midway with a charging station, and there are tens of thousands available. Check to see how many are on your route. Unless you are driving through very rural areas there should be dozens.

Leafs charge very quickly when the battery is depleted, then much slower as it gets near 'full' - so you would only need to stop for ~20 minutes or so; enough time to go to the bathroom and drink a coffee and get another 50-75 miles on your range.  Its actually a pretty relaxing way to travel.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 03:56:05 AM »
I’ve been in a Leaf with 4 full size adults. Plenty of space.

Just do it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 06:07:28 AM »
You have a 2013 Corolla with 160k yet 95% of your driving is local?

I'd stick with the Corolla a few more years.  It's surely got plenty of life left in it, and EV options will only be more cheap/diverse at that point.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 08:36:24 PM »
I would love to get an EV, I was thinking about a used 2015 Nissan Leaf that are pretty cheap but have a range of maybe 120 max on a charge.  This would handle 95% of my driving as everything is local, however once/quarter I take a trip for work about 220 miles one way which I would either have to find a charging station exactly mid-way or swap cars with her (mini-van) for my trip.

How far is your regular daily driving?

That 120 miles won't be 120 in the winter, if you have cold temperatures.  It'll be closer to 60-70.

With mostly local driving and an occasional longer trip, you're squarely in the intended use of the Volt.  A Gen 2 ($15k-$20k used in good shape) has 50-ish miles of pure battery range, then a gas motor for longer trips.

I actually just wrote up a somewhat long post on Volts: https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2019/07/i-bought-used-chevy-volt-and-you-should-too.html