Author Topic: Converting part of SFH adding an in-law unit  (Read 2172 times)

iamadummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Converting part of SFH adding an in-law unit
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
Currently a family of four with kids 11 and 12 in the Bay Area, CA.

We have a 4 bed / 3 bath SFH.  Three of the bedrooms are on one side of the house along with two full baths. The fourth and
third bath are on the opposite side of the house joined by a door.  I was thinking of replacing the door with a wall and adding
a small kitchen there.  Then rent it out (bedroom, bath, and kitchen) to a single individual.  It would also have it's own entrance.
Could easily rent out for $1200 per month.

My wife is ok with this too, but just not sure with kids in the house, even though the unit would be isolated.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:53:39 PM by iamadummy »

MikeBear

• Bristles
Re: Converting part of SFH adding an in-law unit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
Can you block the entrance to the main house, so the unit would effectively be it's own isolated unit? Plus of course you screen your tenant very well to make sure you don't get a perv, or anybody likely to become one. If so, I would totally do that for that sort of money to pile up each month!

I once rented an entire triplex (converted house), and sublet the other 2 apartments. We lived in the back apartment for free, and made money over and above what the owner wanted for the whole place. We blocked the front ground apartment from ours by boarding up a doorway with plywood.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:50:22 PM by MikeBear »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!