Author Topic: Container to transport 16 oz of home brewed coffee to work on bike  (Read 4713 times)

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Hey all, the office coffee has become intolerable for me (they just raised the "fill level" on the pod brewer machine such that it tastes like institutional coffee...:().  Starbucks is out of the question...

Anyone bring brew on their bike?  I only want to bring 16 oz. per day (I have my own creamer at work...presumably I would re-heat it somehow...).  I don't want it to leak (at all!!).  Thanks for ideas!!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Container to transport 16 oz of home brewed coffee to work on bike
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 11:45:06 AM »
There are lots of stainless insulated thermales too. May not need to reheat.

You might already have a pint  mason jar?  Glass is heavy but easy and reliably leak free.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:46:53 AM by PMG »

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »
I have a 16oz contigo that has a 'no-spill' lid that I bring to work on my bike. It truly has never spilled and keeps my coffee nice and hot for a few hours. I think I got it on Amazon for about $10.....well worth it IMO

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
I'll second the Contigo.  I have the Contigo AUTOSEAL West Loop with Easy-Clean Lid. Absolutely love it -has a locking lid that prevents spills - even when I throw it in my bag.  The only time I've had any issues is due to user error and I overfill it and drop it (I'm a klutz)... the hot liquid does cause pressure to build up and dropping it causes a release of pressure.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:49:58 PM »
I am in love with my takeya thermoflasks. Bought at Costco for $30 for two. Wide mouth for cleaning, and a spout for drinking or pouring. I just ordered four sets of FREE o rings because some of the ones I bought at Costco were missing this seal. 
No leaks (if the o ring is in the lid). Too hot to drink from thermoflask directly, so I pour my tea into a mug once I get to work. Will stay that hot for hours.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
I just use my stomach.

Has not spilled yet, although there is an emergency vent at both ends, should an emergency arise.

AshStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 01:10:11 PM »
If you want to drink your coffee from the same bottle you transport it in: I have the Zojirushi SM-SA48-BA Stainless Steel Mug (The Sweethome's top pick) and love it--the lid completely comes apart for cleaning but it does not leak at all--as long as you remember to lock it. The 2nd cup comes out just about as hot as the first in the mornings. Pricey but lightweight for having an insulated and leakproof lid.

If you are just transporting it: For absolutely no leaking and maximum temp retention, you can't beat an old fashioned thermos, the kind with the insulated lid that is also a cup. I have an older version of the Thermos Vacuum Insulated 16 Ounce Compact Stainless Steel Beverage Bottle and taken it hiking in winter in the Alps before with excellent results. If you don't put it in the dishwasher, it'll last for close to forever.

As with any thermos, if you preheat it by pouring in hot water for ~15 minutes before you refill with your main drink, you'll get the best temperature retention.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »
Third the Contigo.  I have a couple of them.  No reheating necessary, as they'll keep it hot for hours.  Or cold.  I took a blended chai with me to watch fireworks last night in one and it hadn't melted at all after two hours when I finally got around to drinking it.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
Fourth the Contigo.  I use it for my ice water and it kicks ass.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
My DH bike-commuted with a Thermos brand -- stainless steel, slim, bullet-shaped.  They come in different sizes.  No spills ever, and that thing is crazy efficient.  If you forget your coffee in it, it is still hot the next morning.   Just checked and they are $20 - $25 on Amazon.   

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »
I fifth the Contigo.  I have the same one bludreamin listed.  Has never leaked; by far the best one I've ever had.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 06:12:29 PM »
If you search on eBay you will see many bullet shaped steel vacuum bottles with a push-button pour-through lid and secondary cap lid. Maybe all from the same factory in China? These keep the contents sealed with only spring pressure, and were not totally leak proof for me when carried on the bike horizontally, but were okay when kept vertical. I found an old Ikea branded vacuum bottle with a plain plug lid that keeps coffee hot enough to not require reheating without pre-heating the bottle. The new Ikea small vacuum bottles are the same as the ones I first described.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
Starbucks has a variety of double walled metal mugs with lids that seal. They fit conveniently into my water bottle holder on my bike. Contigo has little drinking holes, I had always worried about the ease of cleaning them.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
Can you take beans (even preground) and a French press to work, and top it up with water from the urn or a kettle?

Otherwise just bring a Thermos.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L02 using Tapatalk

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 03:31:26 AM »
I'll sixth the Contigo. I clean mine by running through the dishwasher even though the label said not to. Probably a hundred trips through and no ill effects. I just go ahead and put my milk in my coffee at home, too, don't preheat the flask at all, and it stays exactly the same temperature it went in for at least eight hours. Black coffee is still hot the next day.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
I am in love with my takeya thermoflasks. Bought at Costco for $30 for two. Wide mouth for cleaning, and a spout for drinking or pouring. I just ordered four sets of FREE o rings because some of the ones I bought at Costco were missing this seal. 
No leaks (if the o ring is in the lid). Too hot to drink from thermoflask directly, so I pour my tea into a mug once I get to work. Will stay that hot for hours.

I love these thermoflasks too!  How did you get the o rings for free? Directly from the company?

Edited to say... I saw your other post on how to get the o rings.  I ordered a couple.  Thank you for posting it!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:31:53 AM by dreaming »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
I also like Contigo. Very very solid; should, fingers crossed, last a lifetime.