Author Topic: Contacts without the medical exam (you know your numbers)  (Read 7687 times)

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
Contacts without the medical exam (you know your numbers)
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:12:27 AM »
Alright, well I hunted around a little bit on the forum and didn't find a satisfactory answer.  I thought, well I could web research this, but thought my results here would probably better web research.

We went to wally-world for the wifey's eye exam - $102 clams (ouch).  She tells me she has to get this every year to be able to order contacts.  So this year our plan is for her to get them now and then a years worth right before she needs her next exam, roughly splitting the 102 clams over 2 years instead of 1.  Her numbers haven't changed in 4 years. 

Is there a place to order contacts without a medical exam, having just the numbers?  We have ordered glasses with only the numbers.  Something smells fishy to me about this - like a scam sandwich.

thanks
serhomeslice

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
Re: Contacts without the medical exam (you know your numbers)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:16:59 AM »
I wear contacts, and I always have to get an exam to get them too. It's super annoying/bullshit since I've had the same prescription since I was about 14. I just do a double order each time, so they last me two years. I figure an eye exam every two years is probably a decent idea.

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »
I wear contacts, and I always have to get an exam to get them too. It's super annoying/bullshit since I've had the same prescription since I was about 14. I just do a double order each time, so they last me two years. I figure an eye exam every two years is probably a decent idea.

True.  $102 seems high, but she likes the folks at this store.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
hmm. I order mine from ContactLensKing.com and I have found in the past that you only need a prescription/exam within the last 3 years. not sure if that is still the case since although I just ordered some more contacts from there this month, my most recent exam this time was within the last year...

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »
Will certainly check this out.  Thanks

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
1800contacts.com had good prices for when I used to wear contacts.

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
On a related note, if her prescription has been stable for the last 4 years, she might be a good candidate for corrective surgery.  I did PRK two years ago and it's been amazing.  Doing contacts for the rest of my life would have been cheaper, but the quality of life I get from not having to wear glasses or contacts has been worth it for me. 

Wiki article on PRK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorefractive_keratectomy

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »

True.  $102 seems high, but she likes the folks at this store.

In my experience, $100 is about average for a contact lens eye exam.  I have glaucoma in my family and have a pretty high risk of retinal tearing, so i error on the side of caution and get an exam each year.   If she doesn't want an exam every year, I would get a copy of the prescription and just order 2 years supply of contacts at a time from a reputable source.  Most of the big guys will take unopened boxes back if your prescription changes (i've had to do this before).  I usually shop around online for my contacts.  This year I found the best prices at VisionDirect.com

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »
Good advice.  Greatly appreciated

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »
I order my lenses from CLE which has consistently been the least expensive. Their website says the prescription is valid for one year, so I order a year's worth when I have the exam and then 2 years worth 11 months later. This way I don't have to worry about the lenses expiring before I use them.

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »
On a related note, if her prescription has been stable for the last 4 years, she might be a good candidate for corrective surgery.  I did PRK two years ago and it's been amazing.  Doing contacts for the rest of my life would have been cheaper, but the quality of life I get from not having to wear glasses or contacts has been worth it for me. 

Wiki article on PRK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorefractive_keratectomy

I've tried to get her to do this.  Non-starter - she's too thrifty and the poking around in the eyeball thing bugs her too.

Cincy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »
I have been irritated by this law as well.  A few years ago I was able to get around it by having my contacts shipped overseas.  (I just happened to be going to Australia, so I had them ship the box to my friend's house)  The 1 year law only applies if you are shipping within the US.  If you really wanted to get around the exam, it could possibly cost less to have them sent to a friend in another country and then pay to have them shipped to you from there?

For me, it's just the pain in the arse going and getting a contact exam... WHICH SHOULD BE THE SAME AS A GLASSES EXAM.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »
Actually, the law varies from state to state. In some states the prescriptions are good for two years (1800contacts used to have a listing on their site of state specifics). I live in a two-year state, but the doc always puts an expiration date of one year. Doesn't matter, though because the online contact places default to the laws of the state in which the prescription is issued. If you live near the stateline somewhere with a two-year law, go there for your prescription instead. Also verify that your state is really a one-year state.

serhomeslice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI or die...
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »
Looks like this thread is gonna save us at least $100 over the next 3 years.  Appreciate you folks.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »
i've always used 1800 contacts and i order 2 years worth with each eye exam/rx. but this year, i went to a new optomotrist and she recommended a different brand of contacts that will save me about $40/yr. might be worth having your wife ask her provider?

also, do you have an option for vision insurance? i pay $60/year in premiums but then just $49 for the exam and they pay for my contacts (as long as 1 year is < 140). so it comes to about 115 per year, which is less then i could get an exam and contacts for on my own.

loki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
I haven't had a contact lens exam in perhaps 10 years, and wear contacts daily.

http://www.1-save-on-lens.com/

That's singlehandedly one of the most useful sites I've ever found on the Internet.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
For me, it's just the pain in the arse going and getting a contact exam... WHICH SHOULD BE THE SAME AS A GLASSES EXAM.

Contacts require fit measurements (eye curvature and size) that glasses don't, so if you had a glasses exam without asking for the extra contact measurements then yes you would have to go back. They aren't going to do extra measurements on you just for kicks.

If you request a glasses rx with a contact exam and they won't do it for you, then I would change providers.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
You can also, at month 11 after your eye exam, ask your doctor for a new copy of your prescription.  I have always received one with the date it was issued, rather than the exam date.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!