Author Topic: Consumer reports: Worth it?  (Read 4247 times)

blackfedora

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Consumer reports: Worth it?
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:27:06 AM »
My wife and I both come from houses that subscribed to Consumer Reports when we were growing up. When we first moved in together I bought a digital pass so that we could use it when registering for our wedding later that year. I've used it occasionally over the years, but it just came due again and I'm thinking of cancelling it.

1) By rating everything on a somewhat relative scale it promotes more featureful models when the basic model is probably all one really needs.
2) They don't have nearly the volume of reviews as sites like amazon or newegg, so it's much harder to get an idea of how reliable a certain product is.
3) It's very hard to dig up CR information on older models when I'm interested in buying something used.

Anyone else use CR? Do you still find it useful?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.

nvmama

• Stubble
Re: Consumer reports: Worth it?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:58:56 AM »
check with your local library.  Mine gives us free access to the consumer reports website if we access it through the library website.

blackfedora

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:20 AM »
duh, good catch. Definitely cancelling then.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:45:42 AM »
I like it and it is the only magazine we get.  I've had to replace several appliances in the last few years and the magazine really narrows down the choices quickly.  They are not perfect but I really like the fact that there are no advertisements.

Would I pay for it (currently a gift from my parents)?  Probably not on my own but I do enjoy reading it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »
Not really. Even without the free access from libraries, I haven't particularly liked any of the appliances I bought based on their recommendations.

Amazon user reviews are kind of a minefield, but I've had better luck using those as a bellweather.

For editorial sites, my favorite is The Wirecutter/The Sweethome. They haven't reviewed EVERYTHING (yet) but their guides are very in-depth, and every single purchase I've made (even if it was an alternate or runner-up instead of the main pick) I've been happy with.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:51 PM »
For editorial sites, my favorite is The Wirecutter/The Sweethome. They haven't reviewed EVERYTHING (yet) but their guides are very in-depth, and every single purchase I've made (even if it was an alternate or runner-up instead of the main pick) I've been happy with.
Took the words right out of my mouth. 

Great reviews by an entrepreneur who's enjoying his ER surfing on Oahu, but who apparently just can't shut it off.  He also puts out occasional calls for more volunteer reviewers...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:27:52 PM »
+ 1 on the library and thanks for the other lead. I'll file it for possible future reference. Frankly, I just don't buy enough stuff to made either very important. Even reading "Guides" can create the jones for new stuff. Easier to avoid temptation altogether, IMHO.

Another thing about Amazon reviews is if you do research on their site, they send follow-up emails. I researched LED lightbulbs recently and now they keep sending me emails. Same thing with eBay. Early on, I bid on some LED's. I then found a better price locally and was happy to be outbid. Now I get emails from eBay when new lots are offered. No thank you very much.