Author Topic: Consulting Gig?  (Read 2137 times)

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
Consulting Gig?
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
I'm currently 2 months in to a 12 month separation package after leaving Beneficent Mega Corporation after 23 years.  I want to work for 1.5 - 2 years more while DD finishes high school.  I was made aware of a consulting opportunity that I could most likely walk in to.  Very comfortable with the subject matter, would pay very well, likely as much as what I was making before.  Downsides - much travel, up to 50%, and...I have doubts about whether my personality is a good fit for a consulting role.  I'm an analyst by trade, and have always had a healthy disdain for consultants (sorry, if there are any consultants on the board), plus I like stability and routine...so I wonder if being in a consulting role and starting with a new client every couple months would be overly stressful given my personality. 

Thoughts?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Consulting Gig?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »
I'm a consultant and I do travel sometimes.  I like routine too and I don't think its worth it. Is it worth not seeing your daughter 50% of the next two years?

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Consulting Gig?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
Anything beats unemployment.  If you've got something else lined up, take it.  Otherwise do the gig and look elsewhere.