Author Topic: Considering selling our house -- question of paint color/staging.  (Read 4606 times)

alewpanda

• Bristles
We live in rural MO, not a fantastic market, but we live in a 3 bed, 2 bath house that is waaay too big for us.  We are tired of the upkeep of the yard size and house, and we want to cut expenses by moving to something small and cheap. 

I am making a list of things to consider/do before attempting to sell, in hopes of avoiding a long wait.  My question is regarding my wall colors...er, color.

When we moved in, I painted everything white.  Not super cold, but not warm -- neutral base basically.  The only room I painted otherwise was the one room in the house that doesn't get any natural light -- and its a rich navy blue color. 

EVERYBODY says -- "paint your rooms a neutral".  But, is my white a neutral?  Would we be better off appealing to our market with a neutral beige, gray, or greige?  I like the pop of colorful art off of white walls, but some people find it cold....

P.S.  Area is mostly fed by military families in and out, but there is a baseline population of locals who work in service industry, or on the fort in civilian jobs.  Based on my observations of the military market, they are not my focus.  We would be marketing to local families wanting to move out of junky or expensive rentals and into something that they can afford/maintain on 40,000 or so a year -- likely a couple kids, pets are a hit, and potentially a stay at home mom.  Not an urban area -- and my more urban/modern/industrial leanings are not a normal decor style, so I will be toning it down big time.

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Considering selling our house -- question of paint color/staging.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
I wouldn't bother painting, you probably won't get you time/money investment back, especially if the walls are white. I would be more concerned with staging, have some pictures that do pop. If you are trying to appeal to families make them family friendly.

People want a blank canvas and will want to choose their colours. As an example, I HATE the grayish neutral tones that are "in" right now. They seem more cold and oppressive to me than white. I can see the possibility in the white, but the gray has such an oppressive feeling to me, I have a hard time looking past it. We are all conditioned to look past white.

Or you could do what the previous owners of our house did and chose "Dusty Rose" as their staging colour - throughout the entire house. *sigh*

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »
'Greige' is definitely the trending neutral right now. Anything with green undertones (light taupes) is very "out" right now. Everyone seems to have a pinterest, which homogenizes a lot of people's tastes- this is good and bad. Means it's easy to get a sense for what people want, but sometimes it's totally unrealistic.

Personally, I think if you're going to have your own furniture in there when you show, picking a neutral that coordinates well is key. If you have a brown sofa, do not paint the walls grey. If you have a grey/blue sofa, do not paint them a yellowy-beige. Etc.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
I wouldn't bother painting, you probably won't get you time/money investment back, especially if the walls are white. I would be more concerned with staging, have some pictures that do pop. If you are trying to appeal to families make them family friendly.

People want a blank canvas and will want to choose their colours. As an example, I HATE the grayish neutral tones that are "in" right now. They seem more cold and oppressive to me than white. I can see the possibility in the white, but the gray has such an oppressive feeling to me, I have a hard time looking past it. We are all conditioned to look past white.

Or you could do what the previous owners of our house did and chose "Dusty Rose" as their staging colour - throughout the entire house. *sigh*

Part of the reason the entire house got painted white is because I wasn't ready to choose accent colors yet, and the previous sellers had painted EVERYTHING "smoker's yellow"......gross.....

notactiveanymore

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
I would not bother in your market at all. I think people will see white as a nice chance to not have to primer before they put in their own colors. And the white walls are actually pretty common in the glossy home magazines right now in addition to all the gray.

Hi from CoMo!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
One thing I don't see noted is the architecture of the house. To me that somewhat matters in color choices. I also think flooring material and color matter too. I'm a big fan of warm colors. People come in and immediately feel at home. At least I'd think that would be your biggest market as you said you are looking at most likely selling to a local family. White isn't bad, but a warm inviting color with color complimenting furniture might be what makes the difference.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
White is neutral, no need to paint.  I would focus on staging, keep it as neutral and pretty as possible.  People will focus on how your home is decorated more than what color the walls are, unless it is something really bad, like the dusty rose or smoker's yellow.  ;)

I bought accessories like paintings and mirrors, used and for cheap, and then just spray painted the frames to match my decor.  None of it needs to stand the test of time.  When I sold the house, the people I bought it from had specific items they wanted included in the sale.  Pretty much all the staging stuff!  I said sure and left it all behind.  Not like I really needed or wanted any of it, I was just going to try and sell it anyhow.  :)

TrMama

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
We've sold a few times. Best bang for our buck was always to find a realtor who worked with (and paid for) a professional home stager. They will come in and tell you exactly what to do and what not to bother with. The best ones will also have their own stash of artwork, mirrors, accents, etc that they give you while your home is on the market so you don't have to spend time or money on crap you don't even want to keep.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 11:45:06 AM »
One thing I don't see noted is the architecture of the house. To me that somewhat matters in color choices. I also think flooring material and color matter too. I'm a big fan of warm colors. People come in and immediately feel at home. At least I'd think that would be your biggest market as you said you are looking at most likely selling to a local family. White isn't bad, but a warm inviting color with color complimenting furniture might be what makes the difference.

I am honestly not even sure what to call the architecture.  The house is around 25 years old.  It has some interesting "pass throughs" that help the space feel open, but still not quite open concept.  The big architectural interest comes from each main room and bedroom having this expanse of 3 large windows...the middle one having an arch on it.  The light in every room besides one of the bathrooms is great...so the white certainly capitalizes on that.  Also important to note is that the main floor is really open to each other...so its a LOT to paint if I'm going to paint that portion.  I did paint some rich accent furniture and doors, so if the realtor thinks those can stay, those really warm up the spaces. 

The flooring was new when we moved in 3 years ago.  Primarily a very light tan carpet with some tan/beige patterned tile in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room.  We will get it cleaned super well.  Not planning on upgrading it.  The kitchen in particular looks great in the white...warm cabinets and nice looking countertops really shine against it.  That room and the master bedroom certainly look the best in the white. 

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
We've sold a few times. Best bang for our buck was always to find a realtor who worked with (and paid for) a professional home stager. They will come in and tell you exactly what to do and what not to bother with. The best ones will also have their own stash of artwork, mirrors, accents, etc that they give you while your home is on the market so you don't have to spend time or money on crap you don't even want to keep.

No one...and i really, really mean no one... in our area stages homes.  I've seen some pretty nice professional pictures (lots of light, gleaming surfaces, etc) but nothing with staging.  I'm hoping that since we are downsizing, I can use items that we don't need right away in our new place, or aren't planning on keeping, to stage without being over the top.  I'm not sure I want to be living in it the whole time its being shown -- we have dogs, and that would get complicated very, very quickly.  Hence the need to sell as quickly as possible. (Yay, two mortgages)

I am a realtor.com junkie...and i like the way homes are staged in more populated areas.  Absolutely going for a family friendly, but serene, light and airy feel in the staging.  We have awesome outdoor spaces, and I hope to have a say in some of whats mentioned in the description. 

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
White is neutral, no need to paint.  I would focus on staging, keep it as neutral and pretty as possible.  People will focus on how your home is decorated more than what color the walls are, unless it is something really bad, like the dusty rose or smoker's yellow.  ;)

I bought accessories like paintings and mirrors, used and for cheap, and then just spray painted the frames to match my decor.  None of it needs to stand the test of time.  When I sold the house, the people I bought it from had specific items they wanted included in the sale.  Pretty much all the staging stuff!  I said sure and left it all behind.  Not like I really needed or wanted any of it, I was just going to try and sell it anyhow.  :)

We are downsizing, so hoping to use some of our current stuff and work with the thrift stores for the rest.  I would love it if the buyers wanted to keep them -- less for me to deal with!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »
I would not bother in your market at all. I think people will see white as a nice chance to not have to primer before they put in their own colors. And the white walls are actually pretty common in the glossy home magazines right now in addition to all the gray.

Hi from CoMo!

Hello!  Nice to see someone from the area :) 

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »

No one...and i really, really mean no one... in our area stages homes.  I've seen some pretty nice professional pictures (lots of light, gleaming surfaces, etc) but nothing with staging.  I'm hoping that since we are downsizing, I can use items that we don't need right away in our new place, or aren't planning on keeping, to stage without being over the top.  I'm not sure I want to be living in it the whole time its being shown -- we have dogs, and that would get complicated very, very quickly.  Hence the need to sell as quickly as possible. (Yay, two mortgages)

In that case, consider buy new stuff and leaving the tags on. If the home sells quickly you can just return them.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »

In that case, consider buy new stuff and leaving the tags on. If the home sells quickly you can just return them.

That is an excellent idea...thank you!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »

I am honestly not even sure what to call the architecture.  The house is around 25 years old.  It has some interesting "pass throughs" that help the space feel open, but still not quite open concept.  The big architectural interest comes from each main room and bedroom having this expanse of 3 large windows...the middle one having an arch on it.  The light in every room besides one of the bathrooms is great...so the white certainly capitalizes on that.  Also important to note is that the main floor is really open to each other...so its a LOT to paint if I'm going to paint that portion.  I did paint some rich accent furniture and doors, so if the realtor thinks those can stay, those really warm up the spaces. 

The flooring was new when we moved in 3 years ago.  Primarily a very light tan carpet with some tan/beige patterned tile in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room.  We will get it cleaned super well.  Not planning on upgrading it.  The kitchen in particular looks great in the white...warm cabinets and nice looking countertops really shine against it.  That room and the master bedroom certainly look the best in the white.

With the extra details provided I would agree with the others that said don't worry about painting it. I do think staging it is a great idea though.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 04:42:25 PM »
Clean and uncluttered will probably work fine as far as staging goes.

If you can, remove all evidence of your dogs, both in photographs and when there are viewings.  Some people don't like dogs, and you don't want them not to like the house just because there is evidence of dogs in it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »

With the extra details provided I would agree with the others that said don't worry about painting it. I do think staging it is a great idea though.

+1. Highlight the light and airyness with some mirrors, and offset that with nice plushy textile-rich throws on chairs and foots of beds... a cheap way to balance 'bright' with 'warm' to make sure you don't land in 'sterile'.

Sounds like a lovely place. Good luck!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 09:15:09 AM »
Clean and uncluttered will probably work fine as far as staging goes.

If you can, remove all evidence of your dogs, both in photographs and when there are viewings.  Some people don't like dogs, and you don't want them not to like the house just because there is evidence of dogs in it.

Yes, we are going to have to be extra careful with "dog" stuff -- thats part of why I'm hoping to sell quickly, because we might find it better to list after move out, so we can show it at its best (aka, professionally cleaned carpets, scrubbed baseboards, etc.)  We will have to pay 2 mortgages during that time frame though....

How would you handle the yard?  We have a puppy just leaving "pup" stage, nature added moles to compound the problem and the yard has become a mess.  I considered stating that owners had re-seeded upon move out, but how do I say that without mentioning the dogs.....?  Do people need an explanation for why the yard is patchy?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »
They only need an explanation if they ask, and if you can stick to a generic "overuse, and some moles" excuse I would have thought that would be enough for most people.

If you are selling over winter/early spring, you will probably get a pass on the state of the lawn.  I think as long as a lawn is recently cut and the edges are very neat, you can get away with quite a lot of "not perfect" as far as lawns go.

Good luck with the sale.

TrMama

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 11:41:03 AM »
If you mention the moles, be sure to say that pest control has taken care of them so they won't be back.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
WE have bought and sold many homes and white paint works. I think you said one room was navy blue and that I would get rid of.  WE tried to sell with one little dog and the problem was where to put her since she could scale gates even when we put 1 on top of the other. Finally we put her in laundry room with a sign on door saying if you opened door make sure you put her back in before leaving. The next time we moved we had 3 little dogs and moved out of the house before we sold.