Author Topic: Considering retirement relocation to Fort Collins, CO. Any insight?  (Read 5859 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
We're considering a move from the midwest to Fort Collins when we FIRE.  We've spent lots of time in various places on the front range in the last ten years (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Longmont) and are thinking FC might just be the spot for us.  We like small university towns (having spent most of our lives in/around them) and think there's lots to like about the area.

I'm interested in feedback from those who currently live, have lived, or considering living in (and didn't) Fort Collins.  Pros, cons, pertinent details are appreciated.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
Re: Considering retirement relocation to Fort Collins, CO. Any insight?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
We only visited on vacation, but it was awesome! There seemed to be more bike parking than car parking. I'm not a drinker, but if you are there are a whole bunch of breweries including New Belgium.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »
We're considering a move from the midwest to Fort Collins when we FIRE.  We've spent lots of time in various places on the front range in the last ten years (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Longmont) and are thinking FC might just be the spot for us.  We like small university towns (having spent most of our lives in/around them) and think there's lots to like about the area.

I'm interested in feedback from those who currently live, have lived, or considering living in (and didn't) Fort Collins.  Pros, cons, pertinent details are appreciated.

I live in Fort Collins and love it here!  The city is very bike friendly and there are lots of activities in and around the area.  This is my favorite part of the state.  There is a strong DIY and entrepreneurial culture in our town. Great outdoors and lots of cultural events in town.  Denver is close enough but also far enough away.

The biggest downside right now is that housing prices are going up fast.  My DW is a realtor who works mainly with buyers.  Anything under 300K is getting snapped up fast.  Of course, depending on where you are moving from our prices can seem cheap (or expensive).

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:11:18 PM »

I live in Fort Collins and love it here!  The city is very bike friendly and there are lots of activities in and around the area.  This is my favorite part of the state.  There is a strong DIY and entrepreneurial culture in our town. Great outdoors and lots of cultural events in town.  Denver is close enough but also far enough away.

The biggest downside right now is that housing prices are going up fast.  My DW is a realtor who works mainly with buyers.  Anything under 300K is getting snapped up fast.  Of course, depending on where you are moving from our prices can seem cheap (or expensive).
@ Threshkin -- We would have about $350K of equity from our current home and are probably willing to go to around $400K, if necessary.  Possible?  (We're just two people and don't need much room for kids, spares, pets, etcetera...

We've also considered cities closer to Denver but your quote that "Denver is close enough but also far enough away" kind of hits the nail on the head for me.  When we want to be there -- not often or to use the airport -- it's there.  But I'm not sure I want the gridlock.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »
@ Threshkin -- We would have about $350K of equity from our current home and are probably willing to go to around $400K, if necessary.  Possible?  (We're just two people and don't need much room for kids, spares, pets, etcetera...

We've also considered cities closer to Denver but your quote that "Denver is close enough but also far enough away" kind of hits the nail on the head for me.  When we want to be there -- not often or to use the airport -- it's there.  But I'm not sure I want the gridlock.

400k is enough for a decent house, right now - in 6 months who knows!

It's a great town that I absolutely love - it's just too bad that everyone else is finding out how awesome it is and is moving here ;)

I am actually just outside of the city to the south-east (about half way to Windsor), and I got a great deal on my place, but it really depends on how walkable/bikable you want to be.

Fort Collins is like the perfect FIRE town - there are so many people out and about during the day I often wonder how many are just here to live a chill FIRE life already...

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
One of my good neighbor friends and his dog moved from Atlanta to Fort Collins a couple years ago.  He had a career beginning in the military and had pretty much FIRE'd, I think, into doing consulting on projects he cared about.  He looked around at several different areas before deciding that Fort Collins was right for him.  I know he really loves it -- the beautiful nature, riding his bike, hiking, bringing the dog around with him, etc.  Personally, I've never been, so just relaying what I've heard from him.

csdreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:19 AM »
My sister lives there and loves Fort Collins. Except for the snow.

Keep in mind property has gotten really expensive.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »
We're considering a move from the midwest to Fort Collins when we FIRE.  ...snip...

I live in Fort Collins and love it here!  ...snip...

The biggest downside right now is that housing prices are going up fast.  My DW is a realtor who works mainly with buyers.  ...snip...

350 to 400K will get you a nice house a couple of miles away from old town.  The hottest area is old town itself where house prices are simply crazy!  On the other hand if you want more space, the population density drops off sharply once you get outside the city limits.

@kudy - It sound like you are just a little bit further out than we are.  We are in SE as well but are well inside the city limits and are just a couple of residential blocks away from the bike path system. 

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 09:58:20 PM »
Thread hijack - who's up for a Fort Collins meetup? Mustachian meetup... or more general personal finance meetup?

FireDAD

• Stubble
  • firedad.blog
    • FireDAD Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 08:12:41 AM »
I live just up the canyon in Estes and I've noticed that property up here has become cheaper than the front range in the last couple of years. I bought my house up here and even though I'm still working this is where we will retire. There is really not a bad thing to be said except maybe that it's a 45 minute drive to a Costco.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
Thread hijack - who's up for a Fort Collins meetup? Mustachian meetup... or more general personal finance meetup?

I am up for it.  There is (or was) a Boulder MMM meetup group.  I considered attending a few of their meetings last year but couldn't justify traveling that far.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
I live just up the canyon in Estes and I've noticed that property up here has become cheaper than the front range in the last couple of years. I bought my house up here and even though I'm still working this is where we will retire. There is really not a bad thing to be said except maybe that it's a 45 minute drive to a Costco.

Estes Park and the surrounding area is very nice but the winters are harsher and there is a greater flood/fire risk. 

There are also lifestyle considerations.  I grew up in a rural area but my DW is a city girl.  She does not want to be too isolated and I do not want to be too crowded.  A medium size town like Fort Collins is a good compromise for us.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
We are smallish city people, and definitely college/university town people.  I mean no disrespect to smaller towns -- in fact I live in a college town of 8500 people now in an area that would be considered rural -- but we definitely like living in neighborhoods, having access to city services, and the ability to walk/bike and be out among people.