Author Topic: Considering raising roof on home to make loft - am I insane?  (Read 2730 times)

gillstone

• Bristles
Considering raising roof on home to make loft - am I insane?
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »
We live in a 1350sqft 1958 split level with 3 beds (downstairs) and 1.5 bath.  The upper level has a living room with a vaulted ceiling and dining room and kitchen with an attic over it.  The furnace is in the attic and accessible only by a ladder (replacing the old one was superfun).  We will have to replace the roof in about 5-7 years or so (according to roofer in family)  When we do we are considering raising the roof to make the attic a loft.

If we raise the roof by sixish feet we can:
- turn the attic into a loft of approx 350 sqft (200 sqft useable by adults) - useable as room, office, etc...
- add south facing windows (we currently have 2, only 1 can be opened)
- make furnace upkeep easier

Having moved more times than I've had years in my life - I ain't moving unless this place burns down.  The house has good bones and the foundation is in good condition.  We would be ok in terms of city zoning for building height

Some work can be done by myself as well as family members who have built and renovated several homes including doing their own wiring, plumbing and ductwork. 

Am I insane for even considering this?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Considering raising roof on home to make loft - am I insane?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
No, you're not insane. Expanding existing homes upward is actually pretty common in Seattle, where most of the buildable lots have been developed already. I personally would rather move to a house that's already the right size instead of trying to live in a house that's being renovated, but to each his own.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Considering raising roof on home to make loft - am I insane?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
Check you're zoning.  Depending on your zoning requirement, your house may already be at maximum permissible height.

You can look here http://www.municode.com/ or on your municipality's website and also on your property record to find out what your parcel is zoned (example:  R-1, R-2 etc).  Cross reference your zoning to the zoning code to see what is allowed.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!