Author Topic: Considering Contact Lenses - Suggestions to Reduce Cost?  (Read 11724 times)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
Considering Contact Lenses - Suggestions to Reduce Cost?
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:22:59 AM »
I have been trying to wear glasses since my FIRE date (coincidental dates) over a year ago. While I like to see better and will continue to wear them they are a pain in the butt. I am very active and seem to be hauling around two cases for the clear lenses and sunglasses, plus a cleaning solution and cleaning cloths. I often am outside for the entire day and then into the evening, sweat a lot here in Florida, get splashed with salt water, etc. etc.

So I'm considering switching to contact lenses and would like to know the best and most cost effective way to approach this. It is convenient to go to may eye doctor and just have them take care of everything, but I have to guess that there is a better way - and the MMM community will know what that is!

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
Re: Considering Contact Lenses - Suggestions to Reduce Cost?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
I order via 1800 CONTACTS, great service.

Not the best price, however, so I look online at various outlets (i.e. Justlensenses.com), and look for sales, which 1800 CONTACTS will honor.

I do this about once a year, and always save boatloads of money for my yearly script.

I use daily acuvue contacts, which I find is worth the excess cost as you don't need to clean nightly, keep for two weeks, etc,,,

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »
Definitely get your prescription from your optometrist and order the lenses elsewhere. One of the easiest ways to save money is to use extended wear lenses if you can - 2 week or 1 month lenses. The daily wear lenses cost $$$.

There are several online outlets that are pretty competitive. I've ordered from ContactLensKing, 1800Contacts and Walmart depending on the lens I was using at the time. Buy your cleaning supplies in bulk and look for sales at the big box stores and pharmacies.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
Brand name lenses have pretty much the same pricing, no matter where you buy them.  There seems to be a minimum price that no retailer goes under.

One way to save money on contacts is to wear them longer.  My daughter uses the daily lenses but usually wears them for a few days before tossing them (taking them out at night and storing them properly).  I'd say the annual cost is comparable to a good pair of glasses.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
Hubble dailies! $33/month. www.hubblecontacts.com

They are cheap by only offering one size (but all the common prescriptions- mine are different in each eye and quite strong). They're actually one size bigger than what I should be wearing so my right eye will be a little blurry here and there if the contact shifts slightly - but compared to what I paid previously for Acuvue it's worth it. I just wear my glasses if I need my best vision all day long.

I also really like that the entire package is recyclable including the lens packs. That bothered me with my former biweeklies, the amount of plastic in the trash.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
My eye doctor usually gives me a sample pair after my exam to make sure the prescription is correct.  Then when I leave the office, I make sure I get a copy of the prescription and an estimate from them of what a years supply would cost through them.  Then I comparison shop online.  I have yet to order from their office because I have always found them MUCH cheaper online.  I've been buying online for a decade or more with no issues at multiple of the big name online contact stores.  I think the last couple years Lens.com has come in as the cheapest and didn't require a mail in rebate to get the cheap price(BONUS!).

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:37:22 AM »
Wow, fast replies! Thank you. I'm going in next week and will discuss with the doctor. I usually do pretty well suggesting that I'll go elsewhere for the product to save $$ (paying them for their exam and service costs) and that allows them to cut their price on the product if they want that part of my business.

schmerna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
Gas permeable lenses are super cheap if your Rx doesn't change frequently. I pay about $100/5years for lenses and <$100 on solutions.

They do take a few weeks to acclimate to the discomfort, but visual clarity is better than soft lenses.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »
Get laser surgery.  It's like $1800 and you can do it with a 0% interest loan.  Contacts and glasses are expensive as hell, the surgery will pay for itself in 2 years of not buying glasses and contacts.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »
Wow, fast replies! Thank you. I'm going in next week and will discuss with the doctor. I usually do pretty well suggesting that I'll go elsewhere for the product to save $$ (paying them for their exam and service costs) and that allows them to cut their price on the product if they want that part of my business.

I have had an eye doctor tell me that the price for contact lenses was fixed by the manufacturer and that I wouldn't be able to beat their price.  I checked anyway, and beat their price significantly.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
I don't wear contacts anymore.  But when I did:

1.  Get prescription via insurance provider.
2.  Shop online.
3.  Call your provider (where you got the RX).  They will match or beat it.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »

I have had an eye doctor tell me that the price for contact lenses was fixed by the manufacturer and that I wouldn't be able to beat their price.  I checked anyway, and beat their price significantly.

Yeah, I had the same experience.  I pulled out my phone and found the site that beat their price by half.  Then they tried to tell me that the service would be horrible.  Nope, same service and return policy.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
Get laser surgery.  It's like $1800 and you can do it with a 0% interest loan.  Contacts and glasses are expensive as hell, the surgery will pay for itself in 2 years of not buying glasses and contacts.
So, if I normally spend $43 on two pairs of glasses from Zenni, and we pretend they only last two years combined, $1800 laser surgery pays for itself in 84 years?

Contacts can be expensive, glasses definitely don't have to be.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »
So, if I normally spend $43 on two pairs of glasses from Zenni, and we pretend they only last two years combined, $1800 laser surgery pays for itself in 84 years?

I have a good friend who has had cornea transplants - he urged me to avoid laser surgery. Basically, he said if your vision is correctable with unintrusive methods, that it's not worth the risk. I'd like to not have to deal with contacts, but he makes a valid point...even if I'm one of the few people who has complications, I'll be wishing I had just kept spending a few hundred bucks on contacts every year.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »

I have a good friend who has had cornea transplants - he urged me to avoid laser surgery. Basically, he said if your vision is correctable with unintrusive methods, that it's not worth the risk. I'd like to not have to deal with contacts, but he makes a valid point...even if I'm one of the few people who has complications, I'll be wishing I had just kept spending a few hundred bucks on contacts every year.
That too.  My parents are optometrists and never recommend it to anyone.  You only get one set of eyeballs.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »

Just adding - many optometrists (and opthomologists) make a substantial amount of money on selling eye glasses and contact lenses - its the very reason why there's almost always a retail store attached to the office. A few can be 'bad apples' that will give you a hard sell/hard time about ordering your eye-wear elsewhere.  Be aware that in the US it is illegal for them to refuse to give you your Rx.
I once had a bad experience from a seemingly nice optometrists who got me all worried about my vision, switched my contact brand and then tried to convince me to drop a few hundred$ on lenses I later got online for less than half that cost.

Also - when having your appointment I'd get your Rx for your glasses, and ask them to include your puppilary distance (PL).  Then go to zenni optical to order glasses for ~$15.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 05:33:04 PM »
Aalens.com is crazy cheap. I've been buying from them for years and they beat most other online stores.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »

Just adding - many optometrists (and opthomologists) make a substantial amount of money on selling eye glasses and contact lenses - its the very reason why there's almost always a retail store attached to the office. A few can be 'bad apples' that will give you a hard sell/hard time about ordering your eye-wear elsewhere.  Be aware that in the US it is illegal for them to refuse to give you your Rx.
I once had a bad experience from a seemingly nice optometrists who got me all worried about my vision, switched my contact brand and then tried to convince me to drop a few hundred$ on lenses I later got online for less than half that cost.

Also - when having your appointment I'd get your Rx for your glasses, and ask them to include your puppilary distance (PL).  Then go to zenni optical to order glasses for ~$15.

$15?!! I will not type what I paid for mine, as it will erase all respect you all might have for my ability to shop for a deal (and respect for me as a Mustachian). Although it is all a learning lesson.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »

$15?!! I will not type what I paid for mine, as it will erase all respect you all might have for my ability to shop for a deal (and respect for me as a Mustachian). Although it is all a learning lesson.

Mine were over double that.

Frame Price      $6.95
Lens      
1.61 High-Index

$19.95

AR Anti-Reflection Coating      
Standard anti-reflective coating

$4.95

Unit Price      $31.85
Quantity      Qty:1
Sub-Total         $31.85

The frames feel super cheap, but they work well enough to be my backup-to-contacts glasses.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »

I learned about Zenni on this very forum.  I went for a "fancy-pants" frame (metal) for $15 and because of my prescription strength a lens with a higher refractive index.  Wound up costing me about $30 (much like JLee's) - could have been less had I not used the high index lens.
The frame I got feels solid and have been my everyday pair for over a year now. Gotten quite a few compliments on them.  Absolutely love that there's no designer name on the arm (i always find it tacky when there's a big "Oakley" or "Ray Ban" or whatever stamped to the side. )

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 06:00:06 PM »

I learned about Zenni on this very forum.  I went for a "fancy-pants" frame (metal) for $15 and because of my prescription strength a lens with a higher refractive index.  Wound up costing me about $30 (much like JLee's) - could have been less had I not used the high index lens.
The frame I got feels solid and have been my everyday pair for over a year now. Gotten quite a few compliments on them.  Absolutely love that there's no designer name on the arm (i always find it tacky when there's a big "Oakley" or "Ray Ban" or whatever stamped to the side. )

The hinges on mine feel terrible, but for $6.95 I can't really be surprised. :P

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »
If anyone's mentioned Costco, I missed it. Costco!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 08:37:05 PM »

My DW just mentioned a friend goes to Sam's Club for hers. I'm not a member so Id have to add that cost.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 06:45:03 AM »

The hinges on mine feel terrible, but for $6.95 I can't really be surprised. :P
Yeah, Zenni has hundreds of frames nad I"m sure some feel 'cheaper' than others - one of hte 'risks' with ordering online (though Zenni does offer a return policy).  Maybe I avoided this by buying in the higher tier of $15 frames... ::shrug: 
Agree that for the cost - particularly compared with boutique eyeglass shops - it's almost a no brainer. At worst you get a 'backup pair' for about what a cheap lunch costs. I went to three different brick-and-mortor eyeglass stores and the absolute cheapest I could buy a frame with high-index lenses was about $150 (5x the cost).  I genuinely like the frame I got off Zenni.

(sorry to the OP if this has tsrayed too much OT)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
"(sorry to the OP if this has tsrayed too much OT)"

Nope! Very helpful, as I would like to have backup glasses and at these prices I can do that without issue.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »
I like backup glasses too and Zenni's have been perfect for that. If I needed a daily wear pair, they've actually been hit or miss for me in fit and optics but for occasional use they're just dandy.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 02:12:43 PM »
I typically receive something called ValPak in the mail every month or two. Its an envelope full of coupons for local businesses and there is always one in there for 20-25% off contacts through Walgreens.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
+1 on the idea of wearing contacts for longer than recommended. YMMV, but for me... I have 2-week contact lenses (Acuvue Oasys) that I change every 2 months (but take them out every night). Been doing it for over 10 years. My optometrist knows this and says that it's perfectly fine. He says when the lenses are tested, the company that makes them picks an arbitrary length of time that they "should" be worn so that a recommendation can be made, but they can generally be worn for much longer than that. If they happen to develop a tear, of course I change them before the 2 months are up.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
Such good information from you all. Thank you!

I did call another office to compare exam fees, etc. and will be saving $100+ in doing so! It pays to compare...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »
+1 on the idea of wearing contacts for longer than recommended. YMMV, but for me... I have 2-week contact lenses (Acuvue Oasys) that I change every 2 months (but take them out every night). Been doing it for over 10 years. My optometrist knows this and says that it's perfectly fine. He says when the lenses are tested, the company that makes them picks an arbitrary length of time that they "should" be worn so that a recommendation can be made, but they can generally be worn for much longer than that. If they happen to develop a tear, of course I change them before the 2 months are up.

I can tell the difference with mine if I wear them for too long. They feel thicker and less flexible/comfortable.

Definitely take them out every night.  I had an optometrist tell me I could wear them overnight for 6 days and then take them out for a 7th day, and being young and stupid I just left them in (on the 7th day as well) and everything was fine for many years, until it wasn't. After getting a corneal ulcer (fortunately minor and it was treated/healed in about 3 days), I take them out every night and also replace lenses twice a month (spec'd at 2 weeks).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:09:18 PM by JLee »

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »
Yeah, I think the viability of wearing contacts depends on your own anatomy. I could barely stand wearing mine 10 days (taking them out every night and even after switching to a peroxide rinse) and almost never made it the full two weeks. Hence the switch to dailies.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »

I can tell the difference with mine if I wear them for too long. They feel thicker and less flexible/comfortable.

Definitely take them out every night.  I had an optometrist tell me I could wear them overnight for 6 days and then take them out for a 7th day, and being young and stupid I just left them in (on the 7th day as well) and everything was fine for many years, until it wasn't. After getting a corneal ulcer (fortunately minor and it was treated/healed in about 3 days), I take them out every night and also replace lenses twice a month (spec'd at 2 weeks).
+1 to being careful. I routinely wore my contacts for too long and well past recommended dates. One day I went for a routine checkup and discovered I had blood vessels growing into my eye. My optometrist said it was because of my bad habits. I quit contacts for a year and eventually my eyes returned to normal. I have been much more careful since. Especially since now my eyes will only tolerate the more expensive lenses :(

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »

+1 to being careful. I routinely wore my contacts for too long and well past recommended dates. One day I went for a routine checkup and discovered I had blood vessels growing into my eye. My optometrist said it was because of my bad habits. I quit contacts for a year and eventually my eyes returned to normal. I have been much more careful since. Especially since now my eyes will only tolerate the more expensive lenses :(

It's easy to think that it'll be fine because you don't notice any adverse effects, but....given past experience, I now firmly believe that it's not worth trying to save money by venturing into the "it's probably fine" zone.  The farthest I'll push it now is to replace lenses twice a month instead of every two weeks, and occasionally if I'm not in an environment where it's conducive to removing lenses (or I don't have the supplies to do so) I'll sleep in them for one night. That's it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »
Ugh! You people are scaring me, I wear my contacts continuously until they bother me or about a month. I don't take them out at night.
 I've been doing some hobby work lately and finding I need more magnification and light.
That has pretty much been normal, but I'm ready to get a set of bifocals to make it easier.
 I already wear my contacts and a 2 diopter to see the computer, and an optivisor with a #5 lens for closer work. Also have a swing in loupe mounted on my optivisor.
 Getting old ain't for sissies!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »
Ugh! You people are scaring me, I wear my contacts continuously until they bother me or about a month. I don't take them out at night.
I've been doing some hobby work lately and finding I need more magnification and light.
That has pretty much been normal, but I'm ready to get a set of bifocals to make it easier.
 I already wear my contacts and a 2 diopter to see the computer, and an optivisor with a #5 lens for closer work. Also have a swing in loupe mounted on my optivisor.

1) Good.
2) Take them out at night.

I was problem free for ten years doing basically what you do now...until I wasn't.

step_away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
I use Purevision, a monthly extended wear contacts.  Since I take them out and clean them every night (better for your eyes anyway compared to wearing them for 24 hours for a month), I am able to extend it for more than a month.  I replace the lens when they are torn, look dirty, or feel dry / uncomfortable.  So a one year worth of contacts for about $100 (cheapest online cost about $20 per box with six lenses) for 15 pairs of lenses could last 1.5 to 2 years.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:29:28 PM by step_away »

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/vergescience/videos/1563409613717953/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/17/16161186/contact-lenses-bad-habits-eye-infections-cdc

PLEASE TAKE THEM OUT AT NIGHT, WHILE TAKING A NAP, SWIMMING, ETC. YOUR EYES ARE PRICELESS.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »
swimming... ha!  can't see to swim without the contacts. 
Yes, i do take them out at night.

Annie_R

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »
here's the supplier I used to use, they ship from Singapore so it was pretty convenient for me (in Australia). haven't ordered for a few yrs but they used to be reliable. http://aalens.com/

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 09:57:32 PM »
here's the supplier I used to use, they ship from Singapore so it was pretty convenient for me (in Australia). haven't ordered for a few yrs but they used to be reliable. http://aalens.com/
They are still reliable :) And customer service is good and responsive. Canadian customs have been giving them problems but they have done their best at giving me all the information they have. And eventually I get my contacts :)

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2017, 06:45:58 AM »

My DW just mentioned a friend goes to Sam's Club for hers. I'm not a member so Id have to add that cost.

At our Costco, you don't need a membership to get an exam from the on-site doctor, and it's cheaper than other doctors.  But you do need a membership to fill the prescription there.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »
I wear contacts and change every two weeks. I've done some shopping around in the past, but I would caution you to make sure that you stick with reputable sources. You only get one set of eyes, and if you screw them up they may not be fixable.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
Do you want to wear contacts everyday?

I'd start with a month or two worth of disposable lenses and see how you like them and how often you are wearing them before you decide to go to contacts full time.

I wear daily disposable lenses but I can make a month's supply last for 4 to 6 months without endangering my eyes by just wearing them 1 or 2 days a week.  The rest of the time I just wear my glasses.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:32:58 AM by neophyte »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »
Do you want to wear contacts everyday?

I'd start with a month or two worth of disposable lenses and see how you like them and how often you are wearing them before you decide to go to contacts full time.

I wear daily disposable lenses but I can make a month's supply last for 4 to 6 months without endangering my eyes by just wearing them 1 or 2 days a week.  The rest of the time I just wear my glasses.
My optometrist gave this strategy a thumbs up.

Unfortunately the last two pairs of glasses I purchased ended up being too uncomfortable for me to wear for extended periods so I mostly wear my contacts. If I don't leave the house though, I stick to glasses.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »
At my eye doctor's suggestion I switched to Clear Care overnight cleaning solution.  With it my contacts last twice as long.  Also, his office staff figured out that my regular health insurance (I also have a separate visions insurance policy that more than pays for itself through my employer) had vision benefits that I didn't know about.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »
OP here. Still enjoying and benefitting from your comments. Went today for the exam and right now it is a no-go for contacts, as I have clogged ducts/infection that must be cleared up first. Once that is taken care of (lots of stuff to do over the next three weeks) I can reevaluate. The doc said daily wear is what she'll suggest, as there are no chemicals and no buildup of proteins, etc.

Also, she said I am not the norm, as I need bifocals, am farsighted, and have astigmatism. I think I have that all correct (the lingo). In other words, tough to fit me with contacts.

BTW - only $1,000+ for new glasses, but get a second pair free! Uh, no!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:48:42 PM by Rollin »

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »
I don't have the option to wear the throw-out variety. They just don't fit me properly and my eye doctor does not like the way they "ride" on my eyes. I buy packs of four (they come in a box of little vials) every couple of years, and change my lenses once a year. I use the Clear Care system of cleaning, I don't sleep while wearing them, and I've been doing this for years. I can't recall what they cost but my eye care insurance pays for most of the bill.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
+1 on taking lenses out at night and using a good cleaning-and-storage fluid such as Clear Care.  Though for me the local grocery's cheaper cleaning-and-storage fluid works fine.

+1 to checking on whether your current insurance pays optical benefits.  My old insurance didn't, new insurance does.

Here is the unusual thing that I do:

Clean contact lenses from time to time with baking soda.  An optometrist told me about a study he had done on this method, swearing that it had measurably delivered better results than any commercial cleansing fluid, but that the study's funding had been pulled prior to publication by the fluid company that originally funded his research.  Looking back, I suppose the study had been intended to support the efficacy of the fluid that provided funding, but that the "control" benchmark of baking soda outperformed the funder's fluid as well as the tested competitors.  (In fairness, I must note that said optometrist soon disappeared from the larger practice I have long used.)

I tried it myself as follows:
a. Moisten two or three fingers of one hand with saline solution purchased at grocery store.
b. Sprinkle baking soda on fingers.
c. Add saline solution to soda grains so they are all quite wet; don't want to tear lens.
d. Add lens to soda grains, rub gently so that each side is rubbed by the dissolving baking soda.
e. Rinse thoroughly with saline solution.

For me it works amazingly.  The lenses appear cleaner immediately - the little specks that ordinary lenses get after a week or two mostly disappear.  (The brand I wear is supposed to last 2 to 4 weeks per pair taken out at night.) They feel great and pleasantly cool if I put them straight in my eye after rinsing, and still feel very good if I store them in cleaning-and-storage fluid after the baking soda cleanse.  They seem to last 2-3 times longer.  I basically wear them until they tear, or feel bad for some reason.  When my more permanent optometrist looked at my lenses a couple of weeks ago, she remarked "Wow, they're really clean." 

My eyes have vision issues (presbyopia, astigmatism, etc) but their health is otherwise excellent fwiw.  However, recently I've had issues with eyes getting dryer.  I had actually gotten out of the baking soda habit, because lenses were lasting a long time even without it, but brought it back in case it helped with dryness; the drying appeared to be making the specks gather more quickly.  That was when I noticed the cooling effect. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:46:27 PM by Bicycle_B »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
+1 on taking lenses out at night and using a good cleaning-and-storage fluid such as Clear Care.  Though for me the local grocery's cheaper cleaning-and-storage fluid works fine.

+1 to checking on whether your current insurance pays optical benefits.  My old insurance didn't, new insurance does.

Clean contact lenses from time to time with baking soda.  An optometrist told me about a study he had done on this method, swearing that it had measurably delivered better results than any commercial cleansing fluid, but that the study's funding had been pulled prior to publication by the fluid company that originally funded his research.  Looking back, I suppose the study had been intended to support the efficacy of the fluid that provided funding, but that the "control" benchmark of baking soda outperformed the funder's fluid as well as the tested competitors.  (In fairness, I must note that said optometrist soon disappeared from the larger practice I have long used.)

a. Moisten two or three fingers of one hand with saline solution purchased at grocery store.
c. Add saline solution to soda grains so they are all quite wet; don't want to tear lens.
d. Add lens to soda grains, rub gently so that each side is rubbed by the dissolving baking soda.

For me it works amazingly.  The lenses appear cleaner immediately - the little specks that ordinary lenses get after a week or two mostly disappear.  (The brand I wear is supposed to last 2 to 4 weeks per pair taken out at night.) They feel great and pleasantly cool if I put them straight in my eye after rinsing, and still feel very good if I store them in cleaning-and-storage fluid after the baking soda cleanse.  They seem to last 2-3 times longer.  I basically wear them until they tear, or feel bad for some reason.  When my more permanent optometrist looked at my lenses a couple of weeks ago, she remarked "Wow, they're really clean." 

My eyes have vision issues (presbyopia, astigmatism, etc) but their health is otherwise excellent fwiw.  However, recently I've had issues with eyes getting dryer.  I had actually gotten out of the baking soda habit, because lenses were lasting a long time even without it, but brought it back in case it helped with dryness; the drying appeared to be making the specks gather more quickly.  That was when I noticed the cooling effect.

Interesting. I may have to try that.

I use Costco brand solution - it's $10 for 3 bottles (dramatically cheaper than ordinary brands).

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2017, 07:17:21 PM »

This is very interesting.  Would you mind checking on your state's licensing website to see if that optometrist still has his/her license in good standing?