Author Topic: Considering an online mattress purchase - thoughts?  (Read 5791 times)

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
Considering an online mattress purchase - thoughts?
« on: February 05, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
My SO and I have finally decided to ditch our 12-year-old, full-size, spring mattress and upgrade to a bigger bed (still arguing about whether to go w/ a queen or king size).  We're considering buying a mattress online - something like Purple or Leesa.  Has anyone had experience with these kind of mattresses?  Are they worth the cost?  Any specific mattresses folks would recommend?  We're not super picky, and don't have chronic pain or other problems where we might want to be more intentional with our mattress picks.  We just want a good balance of quality to cost.  We're interested in a non-spring mattress, but aren't dead set on this. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Considering an online mattress purchase - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
Haven't tried either of those but bought my last two mattresses (guest room twin and our master bedroom king) sight unseen from Sears.  We adore the twin and are happy with the king.  So buying online is a-okay with me. 

The only places to try mattresses around here are ridiculously expensive, so online is really the only option.

I believe the brands you named have no hassle free-returns after a trial period, so it seems like a decent idea to give it a try.

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »

jmras5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »
We love our Tuft and Needle mattress

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:00:37 PM »
I have a caper mattress that I love.

If you use my link, you get $50 off (I do too).
http://refer.casper.com/v2/share/6267814143844579807/736f6d65736872616f40676d61696c2e636f6d

If you dont want to use the affiliate link, use this https://casper.com/

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 04:17:31 PM »
I have no experience with the ones you recommended, but DH and I got this mattress 3 years ago and still love it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT37L0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We were leary about buying a mattress online without first trying it, but the reviews sold us and we gave it a shot. It's perfect for us. Not sure it is anything like what you are looking for, but figured it was worth mentioning. Good luck!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:46 AM »
I got this one and I love it:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G2IAOR2

I specifically got it for the side support that most memory foam mattresses don't have. The side doesn't cave in as much when you sit on it or sleep on it. They have a 30 day sleep trial and a full 10 year warranty (not prorated).

This is the plush version, but there is also a firm version. I think it's fairly firm though, I don't sink in really far or anything.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 08:40:15 AM »
We went with Keetsa, they are mostly online but have showrooms in several CA cities and NYC.  They also claim to be an eco-friendly mattress if that matters to you.  (It was mostly a nice little bonus for us, we weren't necessarily seeking a 'green' mattress.  It isn't completely organic or anything, so you should be careful to read their claims and not get greenwashed.)  I just hate the car-salesperson type feeling I get in mattress stores, so online was the way to go for us.

This was before tuft and needle (2012, I think) and casper (2014) were around, so they weren't options when we got our keetsa.  But we are very happy with it.  Basically it seemed like a good mattress at a good price, so we went for it.  I also had a chance to check one out in person before we bought ours because my parents had gotten one.

Also, we always assumed we would upgrade from a full to a queen when we got a new mattress.  But the more I thought about it, the less sense it made.  For one thing, we were perfectly comfortable on the full, even with the occasional toddler and baby joining us.  And what really killed the idea of the "upgrade" was a multitude of things: the loss of bedroom space, the need to get a different sized frame, potential new furniture purchase (or maybe less that we would need new bed furniture, but more that we really liked our antique sleigh bed), and new sheets/blankets to accommodate a bigger bed.

The prices for full sized beds at Keetsa (the Keetsa Plus that we got, which is the entry level model despite the 'plus' in its name) is $576.  At Tuft and Needle a full is $500 and at Casper it is $800.  Some may take issue with Keetsa's return policy (there's a 10% penalty), but if you are able to check one out in advance and like it, it's a good mattress at a decent price.

We ended up getting a nice metal platform foundation for our new mattress.  We were using the old mattress' box spring for a while there, but wanted an upgrade.  It was just a reasonably priced, well reviewed one from amazon.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
We love our Tuft and Needle mattress

Seconded.

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 06:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  I did check out that other forum posting, but was wanting some feedback on the online mattresses specifically, so thought it was worth another post.  We'll have to take a look at Tuft & Needle.  We're "upgrading" to a queen or king, mostly because SO is tall and his feet hang off of our current bed.  I'll try to remember to post back on here once we make a pick and let y'all know how it went!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
I am really tempted by Purple.  I like the feeling of memory foam but don't like the heat that usually comes with it.

I've never spent $1k on a mattress, but...I might.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
Another happy Tuft & Needle customer here. We now have two.

Erinbynight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 06:31:23 AM »
Bought our Tuft and Needle king size from Amazon, and a platform bedframe. Two Years ago. Both have been awesome! I went with the TF because it seemed reveiws thought it more firm. I had backpain from a too-soft spring mattress. But my DH loves soft mattress, and we both sleep well on the TF. They have a money back guarantee, 10 yr warranty, and made in USA. I considered Leesa and Casper when I made my purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Upholstered-Button-Tufted-Platform/dp/B00W4DCK18/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1486560390&sr=8-7&keywords=Zinus+bed+frame+king

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QBZ25SS/ref=twister_B00QSNK2HE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 06:35:50 AM »
Casper mattress owner. Love it, purchased it just over a year ago. We switched from traditional spring to foam and have had no issues. I think it's the perfect blend of soft, but still has enough support.

Plus it's fun to open, if that counts for anything.

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 07:00:48 AM »
Casper mattress owner. Love it, purchased it just over a year ago. We switched from traditional spring to foam and have had no issues. I think it's the perfect blend of soft, but still has enough support.

Plus it's fun to open, if that counts for anything.

+1 The Casper is the best mattress I've ever owned. I also love that it has a right side up so not flipping.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 08:09:34 AM »
Got a Tuft and Needle about 3 years ago, it's great.  Granted, I'm not super picky, and it replaced a crappy "weekend special" mattress from Mattress Firm or somewhere that came with a terrible frame that I had through college.

This isn't exclusive to Tuft and Needle, but I really like the whole "one person moving doesn't move the other person" aspect of it.  There's still movement, but nothing like a spring mattress.  I got a crazy sturdy metal frame from amazon for ~$150 to go with it, and it's rock solid.  Way better than the "free with the mattress" frame and boxspring from my old bed.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWC1X3S

If I had to do it again, I might just go to IKEA or somewhere and try out their foam mattresses.  It's foam, not too complicated for a giant company to do well.  This isn't an artisanal product, it's a block of foam and maybe some other layers.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
I have no experience with the ones you recommended, but DH and I got this mattress 3 years ago and still love it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT37L0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We were leary about buying a mattress online without first trying it, but the reviews sold us and we gave it a shot. It's perfect for us. Not sure it is anything like what you are looking for, but figured it was worth mentioning. Good luck!

We have the king of this one (also smooth, not quilted) and we have mixed feelings. I mean, once I'm asleep, it's fine, and I wake up without soreness, which couldn't be said about our old mattress (an 8 year old $200 memory foam from Wal-mart). But my wife is less of a fan. She's a side sleeper, so the firmness of this foam isn't great for her, and she sometimes wakes up sore. And I find it kind of hard to get comfortable while I'm trying to fall asleep, even as a back sleeper. But we keep our bedroom 60-62, so it might be nicer in a warmer room. (We've had this ~3 months now.)

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
We bought a new mattress about 6 months ago. It was a brand new memory foam king size(no frame, just mattress) for ~$250. Working great for us and the price was unbeatable.

I think it was on Hayneedle.com, but it was a special sale. Just scour the internet and see what kind of deals they have.

curly1973

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »
My wife and I just went through this process about 2 months ago (replaced a sagging spring queen with a foam king).  We read the Consumer Reports and various online reviews of Casper, Tuft & Needle, the Costco brand and Leesa.

In the end, we pulled the trigger on Leesa based on a combination of price, ease of delivery, reviews, anticipated firmness and a little hope (all of the above-mentioned mattresses seemed fine, and relatively equivalent, so it seemed like a low-risk choice regardless of which company we went with...but it was the first time that went mail-ordered a mattress in a box, so there was a degree of uncertainty).

We have been pleasantly pleased with the outcome, and now realize that we should have bought the replacement mattress sooner.  We're sleeping better, and are quite happy with the purchase.   

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »

We have the king of this one (also smooth, not quilted) and we have mixed feelings. I mean, once I'm asleep, it's fine, and I wake up without soreness, which couldn't be said about our old mattress (an 8 year old $200 memory foam from Wal-mart). But my wife is less of a fan. She's a side sleeper, so the firmness of this foam isn't great for her, and she sometimes wakes up sore. And I find it kind of hard to get comfortable while I'm trying to fall asleep, even as a back sleeper. But we keep our bedroom 60-62, so it might be nicer in a warmer room. (We've had this ~3 months now.)

You could try a heated mattress pad. I bought one after I read it was good for my wife's RA. The one I purchased had two zones so you could each adjust the temperature to your preference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DQU9C6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was pricey, but I'll pay any amount of money to lessen her symptoms and make her more comfortable.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!