Author Topic: Considering a side gig providing transportation to seniors. Any advice?  (Read 2271 times)

begood

• Handlebar Stache
My main work-from-home gig has dried up quite a bit, leaving me with more time and less money. A friend has an at-home caregiver franchise and is always looking for people to drive clients to medical appointments, hair salon, church, et cetera.

It's kind of like being an Uber driver but with all senior-citizen clients. Same wear and tear on the car, but I'd get mileage reimbursement for the pickup-appointment-dropoff route (but not from my house to the pickup). Plus some hourly fee still to be determined.

I like old people and I like driving and I don't mind sitting in doctors' offices reading my Kindle while waiting. I would be able to set a schedule, say, weekday mornings + Sunday morning, which would leave me time to do other stuff I like and keep up with the main gig work that remains.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this type of transport and what your experiences were.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:13:04 PM by begood »

Aggie1999

• Bristles
Re: Considering a side gig providing transportation to seniors. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
Hopefully the net pay is better than Uber...

Before doing this I would cover my bases with insurance. Sounds like you would essentially be a contractor using your own car. Normal personal auto insurance would probably not cover any injuries, lawsuits, etc.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »
Hopefully the net pay is better than Uber...

Before doing this I would cover my bases with insurance. Sounds like you would essentially be a contractor using your own car. Normal personal auto insurance would probably not cover any injuries, lawsuits, etc.

Good point, Aggie1999. I would definitely confirm liability limits, et cetera. We do have a personal umbrella policy already.

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »
I’m certainly no expert, but if you provide this service to the public you may have to make it ADA compliant. Just something to consider, especially considering your client base.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
better do it now before the robo cars take your job. 

but in all seriousness - seems like building up a client base that will disappear into thin air in the next 5-10 years b/c of autonomous cars.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
" Same wear and tear on the car, but I'd get mileage reimbursement for the pickup-appointment-dropoff route (but not from my house to the pickup). Plus some hourly fee still to be determined".

The hourly fee and mileage rate are key.
I would take the hourly fee and mileage rate and evaluate it against what you would likely make as an Uber/Lyft contractor.  If you live in a densely populated area, my guess is about the same.  With Uber, you work only whey YOU want to work.  Good luck!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 07:12:45 AM »
better do it now before the robo cars take your job. 

but in all seriousness - seems like building up a client base that will disappear into thin air in the next 5-10 years b/c of autonomous cars.

I know older people who will want a friendly and familiar face to meet them even if they are travelling in a robo car. I can see it working.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:22:46 AM »
Fortunately, I would be driving for a company that handles all the liability/insurance/background checks, et cetera. I also would not have to build a client base, since the care provider company already has a long list of people who need transportation. So for me, it's more, "Is this how I want to spend my time, and is it worth it, moneywise, to do it?"

The transportation people also go in the doctor's office with the client, get them checked in, help them from room to room. A robo car won't be able to do all that, so I'm not too worried about that aspect of it.