Author Topic: Considering a career change  (Read 3178 times)

mm36

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Considering a career change
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
I am a 37 year old librarian.  This coming March it will have been 8 years at my current job as a campus librarian.  I am looking elsewhere for library jobs, in public libraries in particular.  I currently don't like working where I do, because I have taken on more responsibilities due to other people in my department being laid off, none of which are relevant to running a library.  I have tried in the past to get other jobs but the job market is positively saturated with people who have an MLS (Master's of Library Science.)  So I am considering a career change, preferably something that I don't have to go back to school for as I am 73,000 in student loan debt from college and grad school.  Any advice?

Kaminoge

• Bristles
Re: Considering a career change
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »
Librarian in an international school.

You can live anywhere in the world, great holidays (around 14 weeks a year generally), weekends free to experience wherever you're living.

I know a few librarians who do this and they all love their jobs (I'm a teacher in an international school so that's why I know them). Sense of adventure is a requirement though.

Strawberry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
You have and MLS and 8 years of experience, so you're way more employable than those new MLS grads. Can you make a location change? Or do you really not want to be a librarian anymore?

Could you teach and would you want to? A teaching credential is usually a quick pickup and some places they might hire you with just your existing education and subject matter competency. Good luck! It is no fun to feel stuck.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »
Librarian in an international school.

You can live anywhere in the world, great holidays (around 14 weeks a year generally), weekends free to experience wherever you're living....Sense of adventure is a requirement though.

+1!

The librarians at the int'l school where I work are local hires, but it's an enjoyable overseas gig. Savings opportunities are very good, particularly in the Middle East and East Asia.

mm36

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.  Yes, it would be interesting to work abroad, but I think I would get homesick.  I'm not sure anymore Strawberry, some days I love being an information resource for people, but some days the boredom and tedium get to me.