Author Topic: Configuring audio on windows computer  (Read 1598 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Configuring audio on windows computer
« on: August 15, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »
Hello, I would like to change my device from speakers to microphone in my computer. I fat fingered it when I was setting it up and now it thinks my microphone is a speaker. Ugh! I have a picture if that helps.

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
Re: Configuring audio on windows computer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »
@mozar , I'm confused why you would expect an input device like a microphone to show up on the Playback tab instead of the Recording tab but I'll try to help if I can.  First a few questions.  What is your operating system (not sure if Win10 is different from Win7 which I'm running)?  What kind of connection are you using - a jack or usb?  The manufacturer name and model might be useful for research.

I have a Plantronics headset with a mic that plugs into my laptop using a pair of jacks, one for the mic and one for the headphones.  Windows then gave the headset a listing on both the Playback and Recording tab as "Realtek High Definition Audio" (see first attached picture).  The headphones are listed as a speaker on the Playback tab and don't list the manufacturer.  So if you're trying to use a similar set up, yours should show up as a listing on both tabs as mine does.

To use the mic from the headset over any other input device, go to the Recording tab, right-click on the appropriate item and set it as default.  This will not change the default setting on the Playback tab for where your PC will output sound to.

I did right-click on my mic under the Recording tab and chose Properties.  On the resulting Microphone Properties window, there are a number of tabs including Listen (see second attached photo).  When I clicked on that tab, I read that "you can listen to a portable music player" through the jack.  Perhaps this is what you're trying to do.  I suppose you put a check in front of "Listen to this device" and apply your changes to make that work.  I'm lost as to why you would do this but they set it up for you to have the ability to do it so it must be necessary for some folks.

Is this any help?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »
Thanks for giving it a shot @Lulee

I'm confused why you would expect an input device like a microphone to show up on the Playback tab

I don't expect my microphone to show up on the playback tab. What I want is for my microphone to be correctly called a microphone instead of a speaker.

The item that is circled is not a speaker. It should not be showing up on the playback tab. It is input. The input is a mixer called Behringer Uphoria 202 that connects to a computer via usb (windows 10). I use it to plug in my microphone. I could also plug in other instruments.

I wish the Behringer would show up on the recording tab but it doesn't because I accidentally assigned it as a speaker.

Does that help?

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »
Sorry, @mozar , about the delay getting back to you.  We've had tornado warnings, storm & flood warnings all evening and I'm just getting back on the computer now that we're down to plain rain.  For the moment.  Though fire and police are racing en masse to the east so something's gone south for some pool soul.

I think I understand what happened and I'm sorry I went down the wrong path.  I've gotten so used to plug 'n play working without a hitch that I made some mistaken assumptions.

Have you tried to eject the USB hardware and then reconnect it to see if it installs again correctly?  It's an option, usually in task bar, down in the right hand corner near the clock.  The attachment shows what it looks like on my PC if it helps.  There may be another way to access that ability but I'm not sure what it is.  I've had issues with PCs and USB equipment (usually drives) that weren't ejected prior to being unplugged so it's worth doing it every time you unplug the Behringer just to keep the computer gods happy.

If that doesn't work, I'd uninstall and reinstall it again.  On my Win7 machine and likely on whatever you're running, go to the Control Panel and click on "Device Manager".  In the Device Manager window that pops up, go down the list and click on the plus in front of "Sound, video, and game controllers" which will then show you all the sound devices installed.  You should be able to right-click on the device which if I remember your initial picture was called "Realtek High Definition Audio" just like my headset and choose Uninstall.  There will be a few more steps to confirm that you mean it.

I'd doublecheck and uninstall any related software if it's still around.  Then I'd restart the PC just to be uber cautious (I've been working on them since the DOS days and so it's a habit with me).  Then you should be able to plug it back in, and reinstall it again from scratch and have it go the right way.  If it doesn't recognize it when you've plugged it back in, you can go back into Device Manager and right-click on the topmost category which is your computer's name and choose "Scan for hardware changes" to try to force it to see it.

https://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/UMC202/p/P0BCG/downloads is their site and I think it's the download page for your equipment.  Just in case you need more up-to-date software/driver/etc.

https://ru-clip.net/video/DABJYUNY2jw/behringer-umc-interface-setup-driver-install-and-audio-preferences-setup-pc-mac.html seems to be a install video from Behringer but it doesn't specify which products it belongs to so I'm not sure it can help even though Google gave it to me when I asked "how to install Behringer Uphoria 202 on my pc". 

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/50aa2b26/files/uploaded/Behringer%20Installation%20202%20and%20204.pdf is a PDF that says it's for the 202 and 204 and covers Windows 7, 8, and 10.  So that should see you right.

My fingers are crossed that something here fixes things for you!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 10:39:03 AM »
Thanks so much @Lulee!
I will try all of those and see how it goes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!