Author Topic: Computer-Repair vs Replace  (Read 3689 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Computer-Repair vs Replace
« on: April 25, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »
Hi everybody,
I own a 2009 MacBook like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10V41H6916&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Notebooks-_-9SIA10V41H6916&gclid=CjwKEAjwgPe4BRCB66GG8PO69QkSJAC4EhHh6A2xHIYiE3kr8peA_L9tpyl-DqAject0NuldToR12BoCupPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds. It has been running pretty well despite its age. It has a new solid state hard drive in it. However, the screen display has dimmed out. I have been to a couple repair shops & both say the problem is either the display or the motherboard. Ugh. One repair shop suggested I buy an identical older MacBook and install my hard drive in the replacement machine. It would cost me $125 for the repair & probably $150 to $200 for the replacement machine. However, the replacement machine may simply bring a new set of wear & tear problems. I am low on cash (2 kids, daycare, part-time job, spendy spouse, medical bills) & up to my neck in existing DIY projects. I had hoped to replace the machine next year when I plan to be back to full-time work. I am reluctant to take on another project. I usually try to buy quality goods that will have a long life to them and repair them as opposed to replacing them. However, I am wondering what the best way to go is here. What do people recommend? Maybe buy a cheap windows or google machine? Take my chances on another older Mac?

lbonga1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Computer-Repair vs Replace
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »
If you live in the US, Apple has a flat rate option for out of warranty repairs. It starts at *I think* $255, depending on the model, but they'd repair anything that needs to be repaired and puts the computer into a warrantable state for 90 days.
I think the decision to replace it depends on what you use it for. I'm personally not a fan of buying used from someone I don't know because I wouldn't know how it was cared for or if it has any existing issues, but I'd consider buying refurbished from Apple (comes with a 3 year warranty).

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:38:29 PM »
Hook it up to an external monitor.  If it is still video-funky suspect the mainboard, not the screen.

If it clears the issue, leave it hooked up and use the monitor until your projected replacement time arrives.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:44:09 PM »
If you live in the US, Apple has a flat rate option for out of warranty repairs. It starts at *I think* $255, depending on the model, but they'd repair anything that needs to be repaired and puts the computer into a warrantable state for 90 days.
I think the decision to replace it depends on what you use it for. I'm personally not a fan of buying used from someone I don't know because I wouldn't know how it was cared for or if it has any existing issues, but I'd consider buying refurbished from Apple (comes with a 3 year warranty).
Thanks!

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:46:39 PM »
Hook it up to an external monitor.  If it is still video-funky suspect the mainboard, not the screen.

If it clears the issue, leave it hooked up and use the monitor until your projected replacement time arrives.
Hi,
I like your approach to diagnosing the problem. I should add that I am seeking portability in my computer, which a monitor would not permit. (My family is not conducive to productive work at home.) What other options can you recommend?